Thread: Are more people open carrying in your state?

Are more people open carrying in your state?

To all members; do you perceive more people in your state are open carrying, no change in open carry, or a decrease in open carry?

I perceive a decrease since Wisconsin 2011 Act 35 legalized concealed weapons.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I perceive no change. I didn't see anyone OC before, and I don't see anyone OC now. Unless I look in a mirror. I've seen one other guy in my town, and he came up to me and said he started after he saw and talked to me earlier.

As a disclaimer I will say that about 80 percent (a guess based on reaction, and as unscientific as you can get) of the people I cross paths with don't notice my open carry either, so I suppose it's possible that I miss some as well. I do tend to meet people's gaze when OC, but I'm more looking for a response to me than looking for other OCers. I need more eyes! People for the most part don't like to make eye contact with those they don't know. I err on the side of being over friendly when OC.

Definitely more. I saw no one else doing it (nor knew of any personally) when I was doing it 22 years ago after independent research on its legality. Today's social media has educated and brought many into doing it, especially after better and better CCW permit laws got more and more people used to carrying their guns everyday anyway. Now, I'll even see people I don't know (and that I've not been able to confirm as members of this or other social media sites I know (I don't do Facebook)) doing it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I visited Colorado sporadically as a youth, but I did notice the occasional OCer. All two of them.

Given that I've spent the last six years here, and have seen half a dozen, I'd have to say the frequency is in decline.

However, less than 10 sightings (aside from OC meets, which cannot count by virtue of their artificially induced concentration), simply does not constitute any statistical relevance whatsoever.

Thus, scientifically speaking, "I cannot say for certain."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Illinois here, and No.

Nope...in MO that is. In SC, if OC is "legal" I suspect that few will either.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

In the 18 months I have been here in the Boise area I have seen only five other people open carrying outside of the open carry meetings. The owner at the local farmers market where I bought my Christmas tree from (who supports open carry) informed me that he sees one to two open carriers a day at his business.

I will have to give it more time, but I was hoping to see more people open carrying. All my verbal encounters with folks have been very positive, but I have had a few stink eyes with nothing said. I encourage everyone who talks with me to join the movement, I'll point them to this site, encourage them to come to a meeting, and offer to go with them their first time open carrying if they are interested. I have had no takers yet and if my interactions with these people have positive or not, is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Definitely more. I saw no one else doing it (nor knew of any personally) when I was doing it 22 years ago after independent research on its legality. Today's social media has educated and brought many into doing it, especially after better and better CCW permit laws got more and more people used to carrying their guns everyday anyway. Now, I'll even see people I don't know (and that I've not been able to confirm as members of this or other social media sites I know (I don't do Facebook)) doing it.
    Glad to here it. I was a little nervous open carrying at the Gas station on the corner of St. Rose Pkwy and Bowes Ave when I was heading to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia from Boise ID. I received a lot of looks, but nothing was said and no cops showed up.
    Last edited by OC Freedom; 02-26-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Ive noticed more in the memphis TN area over the past year or it could just be that Im more aware. However people that were previously set against it are more open minded now. Ive been in nashville/franklin TN about 6 months now and have only seen one OCer who was a gun range employee/owner shopping at publix.

IMO it has increased considerably in the last couple of years. Still not where it was before the CHP law was enacted, when OC was the only way to carry.

I believe we can thank this site, and OC groups like OCT across the country for the increase in awareness and people taking advantage of their rights.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Been in Michigan for a year and a half and during this time I have seen 3 separate individuals OCing here in the Greenville area.

I've been living here in western Kentucky for almost three years now, and besides myself, I've maybe seen a half dozen open carrying, and that's at the stores, gun stores, and gun shows.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Increase, definatly. I, and others like me, are educating the public in our little worlds every day. Many more people are openly carrying their weapons because of a concerted effort to "normalize" the act. Those who are against it, were not carrying or will continue to conceal, but, Yes more people are OCing in my area.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Are more people open carrying in your state?

I hear more about OC in Texas every day but that might be because I am around or near people that have OC interests since I recently purchase a 40 caliber semi-automatic for the first time. I also took a safety class, some private gun handling lessons, training which has all and peaked my own interest OC, CHL and other handguns as they pertain to Texans in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cecollins2; 03-02-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cecollins2 View Post
    I hear more about OC in Texas every day but that might be because I am around or near people that have OC interests since I recently purchase a 40 caliber semi-automatic for the first time. I also took a safety class, some private gun handling lessons, training which has all and peaked my own interest OC, CHL and other handguns as they pertain to Texans in general.

Welcome to OCDO!

OCT has made a huge impact on OC across the country, more and more people are OCing their handguns. I pray for my Texas brothers that soon they will be able to OC handguns like most of us.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Welcome aborad OCDO.

Follow the Texas sub-forum - a LOT happening there!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

i have seen more OC'g in single digits on one hand, in the rural areas at the common places, WW, Sams, etc. otherwise, i still seem to surprise locals by OC'g. however, those business entities i grace my presence at regularly, now specifically ask what firearm i am carrying at that particular period of time.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Not sure I have only seen a handful of people.

i see you are ensuring your demise from the forum, eh kiddo?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I have notice for the first time some OC in a restaurant in Plano TX. Of course this cafe did NOT serve any alcohol drinks AND it did not have posted any notice that firearms were not permitted on their premises anywhere. Some businesses are and have had posted signage for years.

The matter of schools and colleges allowing it is really a tough call. My opinion on that subject has not been made as of yet.

I believe as the popularity and population of all handguns increase we will see an interest in OC and more of it in the states it's allowed.

I believe as the popularity and population of all handguns increase we will see an interest in OC and more of it in the states it's allowed.
    Really? Wisconsin is a traditional open carry state, but as soon as 2011 Act 35 passed, permitting CCW, concealed carry became very popular.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I have notice for the first time some OC in a restaurant in Plano TX...
    OC, even with a permit, is illegal in Texas (has been for 150 years.) What were the circumstances? The only way I think it would be legal would be the elite cops (of course) or the property owner or specifically authorized guests.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I believe they were mall security personnel since we were near a large mall but I may of be wrong. Two males, two females in some type of uniforms BUT we're not police.