• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are more people open carrying in your state?

OC Freedom

To all members; do you perceive more people in your state are open carrying, no change in open carry, or a decrease in open carry?

Wstar425

I perceive no change. I didn't see anyone OC before, and I don't see anyone OC now. Unless I look in a mirror. I've seen one other guy in my town, and he came up to me and said he started after he saw and talked to me earlier.

As a disclaimer I will say that about 80 percent (a guess based on reaction, and as unscientific as you can get) of the people I cross paths with don't notice my open carry either, so I suppose it's possible that I miss some as well. I do tend to meet people's gaze when OC, but I'm more looking for a response to me than looking for other OCers. I need more eyes! People for the most part don't like to make eye contact with those they don't know. I err on the side of being over friendly when OC.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Definitely more. I saw no one else doing it (nor knew of any personally) when I was doing it 22 years ago after independent research on its legality. Today's social media has educated and brought many into doing it, especially after better and better CCW permit laws got more and more people used to carrying their guns everyday anyway. Now, I'll even see people I don't know (and that I've not been able to confirm as members of this or other social media sites I know (I don't do Facebook)) doing it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I visited Colorado sporadically as a youth, but I did notice the occasional OCer. All two of them.

Given that I've spent the last six years here, and have seen half a dozen, I'd have to say the frequency is in decline.

However, less than 10 sightings (aside from OC meets, which cannot count by virtue of their artificially induced concentration), simply does not constitute any statistical relevance whatsoever.

Thus, scientifically speaking, "I cannot say for certain."

OC Freedom

In the 18 months I have been here in the Boise area I have seen only five other people open carrying outside of the open carry meetings. The owner at the local farmers market where I bought my Christmas tree from (who supports open carry) informed me that he sees one to two open carriers a day at his business.

I will have to give it more time, but I was hoping to see more people open carrying. All my verbal encounters with folks have been very positive, but I have had a few stink eyes with nothing said. I encourage everyone who talks with me to join the movement, I'll point them to this site, encourage them to come to a meeting, and offer to go with them their first time open carrying if they are interested. I have had no takers yet and if my interactions with these people have positive or not, is unknown.

OC Freedom

Definitely more. I saw no one else doing it (nor knew of any personally) when I was doing it 22 years ago after independent research on its legality. Today's social media has educated and brought many into doing it, especially after better and better CCW permit laws got more and more people used to carrying their guns everyday anyway. Now, I'll even see people I don't know (and that I've not been able to confirm as members of this or other social media sites I know (I don't do Facebook)) doing it.

Glad to here it. I was a little nervous open carrying at the Gas station on the corner of St. Rose Pkwy and Bowes Ave when I was heading to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia from Boise ID. I received a lot of looks, but nothing was said and no cops showed up.

Last edited:

Kopis

Ive noticed more in the memphis TN area over the past year or it could just be that Im more aware. However people that were previously set against it are more open minded now. Ive been in nashville/franklin TN about 6 months now and have only seen one OCer who was a gun range employee/owner shopping at publix.

WalkingWolf

IMO it has increased considerably in the last couple of years. Still not where it was before the CHP law was enacted, when OC was the only way to carry.

I believe we can thank this site, and OC groups like OCT across the country for the increase in awareness and people taking advantage of their rights.

Chief Ten Beers

I've been living here in western Kentucky for almost three years now, and besides myself, I've maybe seen a half dozen open carrying, and that's at the stores, gun stores, and gun shows.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Increase, definatly. I, and others like me, are educating the public in our little worlds every day. Many more people are openly carrying their weapons because of a concerted effort to "normalize" the act. Those who are against it, were not carrying or will continue to conceal, but, Yes more people are OCing in my area.

cecollins2

I hear more about OC in Texas every day but that might be because I am around or near people that have OC interests since I recently purchase a 40 caliber semi-automatic for the first time. I also took a safety class, some private gun handling lessons, training which has all and peaked my own interest OC, CHL and other handguns as they pertain to Texans in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I hear more about OC in Texas every day but that might be because I am around or near people that have OC interests since I recently purchase a 40 caliber semi-automatic for the first time. I also took a safety class, some private gun handling lessons, training which has all and peaked my own interest OC, CHL and other handguns as they pertain to Texans in general.

Welcome to OCDO!

OCT has made a huge impact on OC across the country, more and more people are OCing their handguns. I pray for my Texas brothers that soon they will be able to OC handguns like most of us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome aborad OCDO.

Follow the Texas sub-forum - a LOT happening there!

solus

i have seen more OC'g in single digits on one hand, in the rural areas at the common places, WW, Sams, etc. otherwise, i still seem to surprise locals by OC'g. however, those business entities i grace my presence at regularly, now specifically ask what firearm i am carrying at that particular period of time.

ipse

cecollins2

I have notice for the first time some OC in a restaurant in Plano TX. Of course this cafe did NOT serve any alcohol drinks AND it did not have posted any notice that firearms were not permitted on their premises anywhere. Some businesses are and have had posted signage for years.

The matter of schools and colleges allowing it is really a tough call. My opinion on that subject has not been made as of yet.