Thread: Confrontational Security Guard

Confrontational Security Guard

I'm currently working as an armed security guard in Michigan. One of my co workers is a retired police officer and very aggressive. Often trying to intimidate people by raising his voice. I'm wondering if any laws are being broken and if so which? I remember clearly when I went through a CPL course that it was stressed not to act like this in situations.

Thanks!

Welcome to OCDO. Remember, we are dedicated (sort of) to the lawful open carry of handguns.

But as such we often run into folks like you cow-orker [sic] (look it up) and discuss how to deal with them.

If the problem is limited to asshat Respek My Ay-Thor-It-Tay behavior complaints to the client (the folks hiring the security company) from the folks he exhibits that behavior towards can have a tremendous effect. Working from the inside, you might look at post orders to see if there is anything about contact with the general public/visitors to the client's site.

If you don't want to risk being a whistleblower ignore his behavior as long as it remains at the level you describe and be the best security guard you can be. Hopefully the client and/or visitors will notice the difference.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Obviously I don't suggest it, but legally you can be a jerk all you want as long as you aren't threatening people, or otherwise trying to deprive them of their rights under the color of law.

If you could be more specific I could give you more specific advice.
    Last edited by Michigander; 02-26-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost35 View Post
    One of my co workers is a retired police officer and very aggressive. Often trying to intimidate people by raising his voice.
    What is the location he works and his shift? One of us OC veterans I'm sure would be happy to pay a house call and politely afford him a great opportunity to advance his progress in dealing with the public.

Location and shift, please. Otherwise I call BS.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Obviously I don't suggest it, but legally you can be a jerk all you want as long as you aren't threatening people, or otherwise trying to deprive them of their rights under the color of law.

If you could be more specific I could give you more specific advice.
    Alternatively, if a person's aggressive behavior rises to disorderly conduct, he's actionable.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    If you don't want to risk being a whistleblower ignore his behavior as long as it remains at the level you describe and be the best security guard you can be. Hopefully the client and/or visitors will notice the difference.

stay safe.
    Would you say the same if the occupation was changed to police employee? Just ignore it? How about standing up for what you believe in? How about putting bullies with a fake badge in their place? Give a tyrant a badge and they don't get better, they get worse. Sounds like this retired police employee needs to straight up retire. Sounds like he doesn't know how to handle not wearing a badge.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Would you say the same if the occupation was changed to police employee? Just ignore it? How about standing up for what you believe in? How about putting bullies with a fake badge in their place? Give a tyrant a badge and they don't get better, they get worse. Sounds like this retired police employee needs to straight up retire. Sounds like he doesn't know how to handle not wearing a badge.
    I'm with Tucker. Talking to him may help. Or not.

One of my contractors (contractor employee) was yelling and acting aggressively to one of my coworkers. The contractor didn't know my coworker was a coworker (the contractor reported to me). When the contractor realized he had been acting aggressively toward one of "us," he became all apologetic and said he was sorry, he used to be a cop. That was his excuse.

So I guess it's either an inborn or developed trait.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Confrontational Security Guard

I think Dan M called it like it appears to be: yet another "troll by".
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-04-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I think Dan M called it like it appears to be: yet another "troll by".
    He is probably the aggressive one. He just came here hoping people would agree he wasn't violating any laws.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Well he did spend all of 7 minutes on the site registering and posting when he first came on board. He's never been back to read, much less respond.

He would seem to fit the classic definition of a drive by.

Glad to have the practice responding and hope we brought a little cheer into what must be a very lonely life for him.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Wow. Tough crowd.

"I miss America"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    Wow. Tough crowd.

"I miss America"
    Not really. We are generally a very affable group. We do take exception to those that do not heed our Forum Rules or hoist their own petard. We prefer to deal in facts and truths, not fairy tails, war stories, or BS submissions from a compost pile. We have much experience in ferreting out the deceivers.

Welcome to OCDO
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.