• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confrontational Security Guard

Ghost35

I'm currently working as an armed security guard in Michigan. One of my co workers is a retired police officer and very aggressive. Often trying to intimidate people by raising his voice. I'm wondering if any laws are being broken and if so which? I remember clearly when I went through a CPL course that it was stressed not to act like this in situations.

Thanks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Remember, we are dedicated (sort of) to the lawful open carry of handguns.

But as such we often run into folks like you cow-orker [sic] (look it up) and discuss how to deal with them.

If the problem is limited to asshat Respek My Ay-Thor-It-Tay behavior complaints to the client (the folks hiring the security company) from the folks he exhibits that behavior towards can have a tremendous effect. Working from the inside, you might look at post orders to see if there is anything about contact with the general public/visitors to the client's site.

If you don't want to risk being a whistleblower ignore his behavior as long as it remains at the level you describe and be the best security guard you can be. Hopefully the client and/or visitors will notice the difference.

stay safe.

Michigander

Obviously I don't suggest it, but legally you can be a jerk all you want as long as you aren't threatening people, or otherwise trying to deprive them of their rights under the color of law.

If you could be more specific I could give you more specific advice.

Last edited:

DanM

One of my co workers is a retired police officer and very aggressive. Often trying to intimidate people by raising his voice.

What is the location he works and his shift? One of us OC veterans I'm sure would be happy to pay a house call and politely afford him a great opportunity to advance his progress in dealing with the public.

Location and shift, please. Otherwise I call BS.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Obviously I don't suggest it, but legally you can be a jerk all you want as long as you aren't threatening people, or otherwise trying to deprive them of their rights under the color of law.

If you could be more specific I could give you more specific advice.

Alternatively, if a person's aggressive behavior rises to disorderly conduct, he's actionable.

Tucker6900

If you don't want to risk being a whistleblower ignore his behavior as long as it remains at the level you describe and be the best security guard you can be. Hopefully the client and/or visitors will notice the difference.

stay safe.

Would you say the same if the occupation was changed to police employee? Just ignore it? How about standing up for what you believe in? How about putting bullies with a fake badge in their place? Give a tyrant a badge and they don't get better, they get worse. Sounds like this retired police employee needs to straight up retire. Sounds like he doesn't know how to handle not wearing a badge.

griffin

Would you say the same if the occupation was changed to police employee? Just ignore it? How about standing up for what you believe in? How about putting bullies with a fake badge in their place? Give a tyrant a badge and they don't get better, they get worse. Sounds like this retired police employee needs to straight up retire. Sounds like he doesn't know how to handle not wearing a badge.

I'm with Tucker. Talking to him may help. Or not.

One of my contractors (contractor employee) was yelling and acting aggressively to one of my coworkers. The contractor didn't know my coworker was a coworker (the contractor reported to me). When the contractor realized he had been acting aggressively toward one of "us," he became all apologetic and said he was sorry, he used to be a cop. That was his excuse.

So I guess it's either an inborn or developed trait.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well he did spend all of 7 minutes on the site registering and posting when he first came on board. He's never been back to read, much less respond.

He would seem to fit the classic definition of a drive by.

Glad to have the practice responding and hope we brought a little cheer into what must be a very lonely life for him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow. Tough crowd.

"I miss America"
Not really. We are generally a very affable group. We do take exception to those that do not heed our Forum Rules or hoist their own petard. We prefer to deal in facts and truths, not fairy tails, war stories, or BS submissions from a compost pile. We have much experience in ferreting out the deceivers.

Welcome to OCDO :)