Thread: SC Senate passes Gun Ban for Domestic Violence Offenders

SC Senate passes Gun Ban for Domestic Violence Offenders

SC Senate passes Gun Ban for Domestic Violence Offenders

The bill aims to make domestic violence penalties stronger, it passed the Senate 38-3 and it still has to pass the House which is also considering a different version of the bill.

What is the point of this law if the Lautenberg Amendment already covers Domestic Violence? Is this a 'preemptive step' in case Lautenberg gets overturned someday? Wouldn't this law be considered redundant?

http://www.local12.com/news/features...rs-91159.shtml

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- In a state where gun rights tend to be fiercely guarded, the South Carolina Senate on Wednesday agreed to take firearms away from many people convicted of criminal domestic violence. The gun ban would still require a judge's approval for the least serious offenses. A provision adding that requirement cleared the way for passage of the bill to strengthen domestic violence penalties across the board. The measure passed 38-3 after nearly two weeks of debate."
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    [ ... ]What is the point of this law if the Lautenberg Amendment already covers Domestic Violence? Is this a 'preemptive step' in case Lautenberg gets overturned someday? Wouldn't this law be considered redundant?
    State law and federal law are quite separate in the commissions of their enforcers. A state commissioned officer is not often commissioned to enforce federal law.

My personal experience was with a suburban meth lab in my neighborhood. When the feds could not prosecute quickly enough, the case was turned over to the state of South Carolina with more liberal - slower/longer - speedy trial laws. The homeowner went away right away, but the chemist hung around the neighborhood intimidating the old ladies. I had the dummy black and white parked in front of my house regularly and was allowed to open carry. The chief of police was an acquaintance/friend.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The Bill

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess121_...16/bills/3.htm

Didn'e see any exemptions or exceptions in the bill. Would this prevent a cop who batters his spouce from carrying a gat while on the clock? It reads like it does.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare