• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Every Day Carry ("EDC") Setup.

bwarren917

Hey OCF Members,

I have listed below my daily carry rig. Please take this with a grain of sand, as your laws may not allow you to carry what I do.

I carry:
- 3.5 oz of Cold Steel Inferno Pepper spray in a holster I bought from Amazon that has a snapping top flap to ensure it stays snug and doesn't move (unless I need it);

- A clip for car keys (I have several cars, so I rotate keys freqently), or other key rings that I may need in any given day (sort of an overflow key clip, of sorts);

- A small key ring (house keys mostly) in a velcro quiet pouch. Those little two folding flap things that cops use on their belts to quiet their keys);

- Leatherman Wave Multi tool;

- Olympic Recorder (in a separate Letherman multi tool pouch - it fits perfectly);

- A latex glove pouch to hold the cards that say "No gun = no $" - you can find them lots of places online). I don't carry any latex gloves in it;

- Two-pouches for spare magazines;

and

- Blackhawk Level 3 Serpa holster with a high-rise belt adapter for the Sig P225 (and P6), P226, and several other models of Sig pistols.

I carry all of this on a Uncle Mike's duty belt with 4 belt keepers. It works remarkably well.

I also carry:
- a pen;
- my pocket knife
- my wallet;
- my phone and it's holster (although I'm trying to find a way to securely mount this to my 'gear/duty' belt) - which I typically clip onto my pocket as my gear belt can't securely hold it.;
- my watch
- and anything else I might need that day.

A couple things to note: (1) I am looking for a way to mount my iPhone 6 Plus to my (let's call the duty belt a "gear" belt, as I am not law enforcement or security) gear belt. It's a 2" belt, so I need something that has belt loops large enough - any suggestions? I know it's a bit off-topic, but it all involves my EDC. (2) As I said, I am NOT law enforcement or security. And (3) I find the gear belt to be the safest and securest way to mount these items. This belt is meant to handle this kind of wait and daily use/abuse. Normal belts aren't. Further, if I get to a location where someone doesn't like me carrying all this stuff in their location, I can either leave or I can simply unsnap the belt, and walk back in the location - much faster and easier than removing my belt, unlacing everything, putting my belt back on, and walking back in. Sometimes efficiency is key.

Typically, I hide everything except the gun - sometimes the spare magazines - and pepper spray (the pepper spray is too big to hide if I zip my jacket). This also helps people not think I am "impersonating" or actually active law enforcement, all-the-while allowing me to stay protected no matter where I go.

Let me know if you have questions. Sorry it is so poorly edited and worded. It's almost 1 AM as I type this and I am tired.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Duty belts work best when they are used with belt keepers to anchor them to the pants belt. I've seen folks with only a holstered handgun and spare ammo on the belt bring an unanchored duty belt up to their armpits before the handgun started to come out of the holster. (Good holster retention but not helpful.) You apparently know and understand this.

That being said, a good reinforced gun belt can be worn over the pants belt in the same manner. It's just a little less obvious.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Lighten up, guys!

Or better yet, take everything off your belt and empty your pockets and submit pictures of your uber-tactical uber-minimalist EDC.

And if you are like me and have more than one key ring that goes out the door but resides in either the cupholder or mini-vault till you get home you still have to count them.

- Pepper spray - nope. If I'm going to be in/around a crowd I'll add a KBAR TDI set up in front of my reloads (Did I mention I hate crowds?)

- A clip for car keys - car keys go in my pocket

- A small key ring - two key rings separated by house v car. Single-AAA flashlights on both. (Car key ring has 2 flashlights because I often have to separate the key fob from other stuff on that ring.) Two diaper pins + a blanket pin on each ring that has a set of keys.

- Leatherman Wave Multi tool - multitool (some Kershaw model) resides in the bottom of my mobility scooter rear pouch

- Olympic Recorder (in a separate Letherman multi tool pouch - it fits perfectly) - really ought to get a pouch - right now my recorder lives in my shirt pocket along with a spare battery.

- A latex glove pouch - nope. Same cards are stuffed in my wallet

- Two-pouches for spare magazines - varies between 1 or 2 reloads but yes

and

- holster - well, of course

Uncle Mike's duty belt with 4 belt keepers - gunshow special double-thick reinforced gun belt that's going on 15 years old that holds my holster and reloads and keeps my pants up

I also carry:
- a pen - in shirt pocket (I notice you do not list a notebook/index cards - what do you write on?
- pocket knife - yes, plus a few small SAK ones on the various key rings (like flashlights, one is none, two is one, and more is better)
- wallet - in left front pocket. (Can you say siatica?)
- my phone - either in a cargo pocket or the right front pocket below the holster. 50% of the time in a Faraday Cage pouch.
- my watch - I'm still wearing one even though my phone has more timekeping functions than old-fashioned chrongraph watches
- and anything else I might need that day - especially cash.

Your loadout does not seem excessive. We seem to disagree mostly on how/where to carry it.

stay safe.

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona bwarren917!:)

I have a similar EDC, but here are my thoughts regarding your EDC.

I have a handful of keys (all of them get used either daily or every two days), so the quiet pouch sound like it could be a good idea.

I also carry an Olympic recorder, but in a horizontal magazine pouch (ended up buying a separate, two-mag pouch and found the horizontal pouch fit perfectly).

I scrapped the multi-tool because I found I didn't actually use it very often. YMMV
The pepper spray I don't carry.

If you're into leather belts and pouches for a more "classic" look (like I am;)), you can find a great belt at abetterbeltusa.com.:)

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona bwarren917!:)

I have a similar EDC, but here are my thoughts regarding your EDC.

I have a handful of keys (all of them get used either daily or every two days), so the quiet pouch sound like it could be a good idea.

I also carry an Olympic recorder, but in a horizontal magazine pouch (ended up buying a separate, two-mag pouch and found the horizontal pouch fit perfectly).

I scrapped the multi-tool because I found I didn't actually use it very often. YMMV
The pepper spray I don't carry.

If you're into leather belts and pouches for a more "classic" look (like I am;)), you can find a great belt at abetterbeltusa.com.:)

I only carry pepper spray when walking, so far it has been very effective on dogs.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I only carry pepper spray when walking, so far it has been very effective on dogs.

I carry spray when I am out running or biking I sprayed 10 to 15 dogs over 40 plus years doing these activities. It has worked in every case. A couple I have had to spray more then once.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I hate these kinds of threads..
Everybody talking up all of the nifty high-tech toys they carry and what kind of fancy belt is needed to carry them!

Nobody ever seems to mention the two most important things that a well equipped,
man of the the world/ out on the town/ ready for anything person,,, should have at all times!

A hanky and a comb....

WalkingWolf

Everybody talking up all of the nifty high-tech toys they carry and what kind of fancy belt is needed to carry them!

Nobody ever seems to mention the two most important things that a well equipped,
man of the the world/ out on the town/ ready for anything person,,, should have at all times!

A hanky and a comb....

And a raincoat...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It's being rumored/threatened. I misspoke, sorry.

My issue is with gun owners causing yet another run on an entire caliber over something which affects a small portion of the market, and for that caliber alone. Sure, the ATF is pointless are so are its rules, but a ban on the (lousy) M855 projectile isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as a ban on the entire caliber.

This would probably have minimal (if any) price effect on .223 overall if it weren't for gun owners ourselves, and our own silly actions. Not only does this sort of thing potentially put us in a "boy who cried wolf" scenario, it lends credence to claims that the NRA's primary aim is to maximize profits for the civilian arms industry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why would I need them since they are banning .223 ammo - we are all suddenly going to be safer after that?

It's a reference to Gecko45. Go back up for the link and learn about the most amazing protector of Life, Liberty, and The American Way. Evar!

stay safe.

J_dazzle23

I end up with either a glock 19 or sheild 9mm depending if I am going somewhere I need/want to conceal.
-leatherman juice
-streamlight stylus pro
-spyderco tenacious
-gum
-keys
-money clip
-spare mag if carrying the shield.

That's it. Best bang for the bulk/weight that I have found.
Just my .02 :)

Rusty Young Man

Hmm. Might not be a bad idea for me to go out an get some pepper spray then. I have had one or two less-than-friendly encounters with dogs now.:confused:

A hanky and a comb....

Already carry them, along with a copy of AZ laws applicable to OC;). Sometimes carry Chapstick too.

And a raincoat...
I sometimes forget that other states are blessed with moisture from the heavens more regularly than us Arizonans.:lol:

Last edited: