Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate passes Constitutional Carry

Senate passes Constitutional Carry

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

32-2 vote ... that is overwhelming.

And awesome.

Getting 2-3 more constitutional carry states this year would be nice. It will boost the cause. I'm worried the overwhelming support means they know it won't pass the house or get the governor's signature.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

The WV governor had signed pro-gun bills before, and the WV House is almost 2/3 GOP. Heck in the Senate all 18 GOP and 14/16 Dems voted for it.

I think WV has as good a shot as anyone this year. I think Kansas has the next best chance. Not sure after that.

New Hampshire has been trying for years only to hit snags.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by mdak06 View Post
    32-2 vote ... that is overwhelming.

And awesome.
    It really was 32-0, with 2 members not voting (1 was actually a sponsor, so worst case 33-1). The only thing stopping this is some kind of shenenigans. The votes are there, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    New Hampshire has been trying for years only to hit snags.
    I would love to see half of New England as constitutional carry. Hopefully the folks in NH will succeed soon.

I know that Maine just reintroduced their constitutional carry bill the other day with lots of cosponsors.

The more the merrier.

does this apply to Wes Virginia residents only? Or does it also extend to out of state residents?

SB347 will apply to all persons who are legally able to own and carry a firearm.

We're getting hit pretty hard with negative editorials. SB347 is going to be on the agenda in the House Judiciary committee tomorrow.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Seeing our cops speaking out speaking out against this bill so fervently makes my very angry.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Seeing our cops speaking out speaking out against this bill so fervently makes my very angry.
    Not to mention those cops probably broke the law by being there. They always bring up the same stuff over and over again-pure speculation. Yet no mention of how the current constitutional states have gone to hell in a handbasket as a result of their laws.

It just passed out of the House Committee as well.

Unfortunately, amended to persons over 21 only.

On to the full House.

So, as amended
    18 to OC
    21 to CC (with or without a permit)

Is this just posturing while there is a Democrat governor? He was considering vetoing preemption last year, right?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Rooting for you from Virginia. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Rooting for you from Virginia. Good luck!
    Thanks!
    The bill survived a 2nd reading tonight. Lots of amendments proposed aimed at killing the whole thing.
    Even one of the so-called 2A supporters (House Republican Majority Leader Daryl Cowles) turned traitor and tried to get it killed.
    But it survived! A couple more hurdles but it's looking promising.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Is this just posturing while there is a Democrat governor? He was considering vetoing preemption last year, right?
    No one expects him to. He's expected to ignore it and let the 10 days run out until it becomes law.
    I think it would be political suicide to veto it.

Thanks!
    The bill survived a 2nd reading tonight. Lots of amendments proposed aimed at killing the whole thing.
    Even one of the so-called 2A supporters (House Republican Majority Leader Daryl Cowles) turned traitor and tried to get it killed.
    As you know, I have a firm policy of not meddling in another states politics but I have nothing but respect and admiration for the effort you all have put into this.

Thanks!
    Count me in as one of the many rooting for you all. I live in Va., but I plan to have a cabin in the beautiful mountains of WV in my lifetime. When should we expect to know definitively if constitutional carry will pass or not? What are the hurdles that remain that you mentioned?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
    Count me in as one of the many rooting for you all. I live in Va., but I plan to have a cabin in the beautiful mountains of WV in my lifetime. When should we expect to know definitively if constitutional carry will pass or not? What are the hurdles that remain that you mentioned?

Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Should be 2 weeks. Session ends Saturday, so it has to be on his desk by then. Right now it goes back to the Senate to approve the changes (21 and over), which should be a slam dunk.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Keep it up and we may take you back as part of Ol' Virginia

What a winning combination that would be!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Keep it up and we may take you back as part of Ol' Virginia

What a winning combination that would be!
    Maybe if VA follows WV and adopts constitutional carry we'll entertain the idea

Perhaps counting my chickens ahead of time but the bill seems like a done deal.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Maybe if VA follows WV and adopts constitutional carry we'll entertain the idea

Perhaps counting my chickens ahead of time but the bill seems like a done deal.
    When that happens, WVA will have some catching up to do. In VA we can already carry in state (incl. the Capital and General Assembly buildings) and municipal buildings - City Halls, police stations, etc. We go to legislative committee meetings OCing.

Still I am very impressed with what as you say "seems like a done deal." Best wishes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    When that happens, WVA will have some catching up to do. In VA we can already carry in state (incl. the Capital and General Assembly buildings) and municipal buildings - City Halls, police stations, etc. We go to legislative committee meetings OCing.

Still I am very impressed with what as you say "seems like a done deal." Best wishes.
    It's funny you mention that. One very liberal gun hater delegate tried to offer an amendment to allow carrying in the capitol building. It was nothing but an attempt to kill the bill of course. When another delegate asked her if she would commit to co-sponsor a bill with him next year for capitol carry she said "talk to me next year". It got a nice laugh.

It's great that you guys have won those battles. I should hope we will also.
    But still the CC thing is a big deal to me. I'm a huge proponent of OC but when it's -4 outside and I have my huge winter coat on I don't really want to bother with trying to avoid it getting covered up. No reason it should be illegal.

It's funny you mention that. One very liberal gun hater delegate tried to offer an amendment to allow carrying in the capitol building. It was nothing but an attempt to kill the bill of course. When another delegate asked her if she would commit to co-sponsor a bill with him next year for capitol carry she said "talk to me next year". It got a nice laugh.

It's great that you guys have won those battles. I should hope we will also.
    But still the CC thing is a big deal to me. I'm a huge proponent of OC but when it's -4 outside and I have my huge winter coat on I don't really want to bother with trying to avoid it getting covered up. No reason it should be illegal.
    Those battles are partially won twoskins. Those of us that refuse to get permits fall further each year. I commented last night that I won't see Constutional carry here in what's left of my life. It's like planting a tree though. Even though I won't see it at maturity, my children will.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Manchin apparently opposes Constitutional Carry

Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast