• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI lags behind in Constitutional Carry

protias

So we already have the 4 states (AZ, AK, WY, and VT) and we have 2 more states getting close (WV and ME). Why does WI have to lag behind?

Firearms Iinstuctor

We don't have a active lobby like AZCDL pushing it, we lost a prime mover when Galloway resigned.

There other states pushing Constitutional carry also KS, NC, SD, ID, NH.

There seems also a reluctance to take small steps and to only go for the whole thing by some in the OC movement in the state.

All the above mention states have a history of chipping away then going for constitutional carry Any law that gives us a small win is better then no law. Or a law the demands it all and will not pass.

Last edited:

fjpro2a

Give it a chance

Protias,
It's only been a few years that Wisconsin passed a "permit to carry" law. As you remember, only Wisconsin, Illinois, and DC prohibited carrying outside one's house. I believe it was Scott Walker's first term where he signed the bill. And as a good thing, the bill did not prohibit open carry. Why pick on Wisconsin when it has accomplished a whole lot more than most other States?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Protias,
It's only been a few years that Wisconsin passed a "permit to carry" law. As you remember, only Wisconsin, Illinois, and DC prohibited carrying outside one's house. I believe it was Scott Walker's first term where he signed the bill. And as a good thing, the bill did not prohibit open carry. Why pick on Wisconsin when it has accomplished a whole lot more than most other States?

Wisconsin always had been a OC state there were never any state probations against OC out side the home. It was just in some very anti gun cities like Milw. and Madison. Where most of the trouble was.

Law abider

We don't have a active lobby like AZCDL pushing it, we lost a prime mover when Galloway resigned.

There other states pushing Constitutional carry also KS, NC, SD, ID, NH.

There seems also a reluctance to take small steps and to only go for the whole thing by some in the OC movement in the state.

All the above mention states have a history of chipping away then going for constitutional carry Any law that gives us a small win is better then no law. Or a law the demands it all and will not pass.

I still haven't figured out what happened to Galloway?

FreeInAZ

Snip-
We don't have a active lobby like AZCDL pushing it.......

It took AZCDL five years of chipping away at some pretty crappy gun law here in AZ before they got Constitutional carry passed in 2010.
http://www.azcdl.org

Read their accomplishments page there, they are a good example of what can be done following in the paths other groups have blazed, such as VCDL.

Bloomberg has targeted AZCDL & is pouring money into AZ, guess he looks at us like the head of the Gadsden flag snake? Take our head off and most other pro 2A, pro Liberty groups will crumble with fear. If you can tell your friends to send a few bucks our way, we'd sure put it to good use.

Disclosure- I am a proud member of AZCDL.

Last edited:

apjonas

It is Fascinating

To read pre-Act 35 posts. Opinions on whether concealed carry will arrive and possible features of a new law. It seems to me that Wisconsin has done pretty well. I suspect that during the Doyle Era, most people would have traded off the possibility of permitless CC for immediate licensed CC with more restrictions than we ended up with. The other question would be what are the reasons that folks seek/push for/demand CC without a permit? Principle, forgoing government evaluation, $, there are several. But then ask yourself what a "constitutional carry" system would look like. Wisconsin has similarities to AZ, AK, WY, etc. but significant differences as well. Should there be a "permit optional" system to handle GFSZ, NICS alternative, carry in other states? Would carry without a permit make LEO encounters more problematic? I don't have any solid answers (yet) - but there are plenty of questions that should be asked.

1FASTC4

To read pre-Act 35 posts. Opinions on whether concealed carry will arrive and possible features of a new law. It seems to me that Wisconsin has done pretty well. I suspect that during the Doyle Era, most people would have traded off the possibility of permitless CC for immediate licensed CC with more restrictions than we ended up with. The other question would be what are the reasons that folks seek/push for/demand CC without a permit? Principle, forgoing government evaluation, $, there are several. But then ask yourself what a "constitutional carry" system would look like. Wisconsin has similarities to AZ, AK, WY, etc. but significant differences as well. Should there be a "permit optional" system to handle GFSZ, NICS alternative, carry in other states? Would carry without a permit make LEO encounters more problematic? I don't have any solid answers (yet) - but there are plenty of questions that should be asked.

Carry without a permit has not made encounters with LEO more problematic in AZ*. FWIW, AZ still issues CC permits. For instance, if you want to CC in a bar, you need a CC permit.

* At least not while I lived in AZ. I now reside in Wisconsin.

One thing to love about AZ is the LEO's interaction with armed people. I have had a handful(4 or 5) of contacts with them while armed, always for speeding.(never got a ticket!) I was once pulled over for speeding by a female motorcycle(Maricopa County) cop.(thought I was doomed to get whatever tickets she could come up with) I was in a corvette with the top off, large frame 1911 laying holstered in full view on the console. She approached the vehicle, chatted about seeing me driving earlier in the day, asked me where I was going. I knew I didn't have to answer but I did anyway, as she was being quite professional and friendly. She then wished me a good day and sent me on my way... never making mention of the firearm. There's simply no way she could miss the gun, large, stainless and right in the center of her field of view. I've read plenty of stories of legally carrying good guys being hassled, ticketed, arrested by cops, but in AZ it seems most of the LEO's have it right.