Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: I too have lost confidence in Rick Perry as a presidential candidate

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213

    I too have lost confidence in Rick Perry as a presidential candidate



    Rick Perry has decided (based on HIS personal convictions) that people do not deserve Constitutional Carry.

    Governor Rick Perry has outed himself on Constitutional Carry and also proved his lack of understanding of the 2nd Amendment by promoting regulations and restrictions on citizens who want to own firearms.
    His position is clear from the recent comments he made in the Texas Tribune..

    [Perry] said he “prefers concealed handguns for “a more practical reason.”

    “I don’t want the bad guys to know if I’m carrying,” he said. “I don’t want to be the first person shot if something’s going down.”
    Fine.. thats HIS personal preference. In a free country, he is entitled to his opinion and his personal preference for carrying a firearm.. however… his feelings do not and should not trump our Constitutional rights.

    Perry said he was “not necessarily all that fond of this open carry concept,” adding that those who carry guns ought to be “appropriately backgrounded, appropriately vetted, appropriately trained.”

    So… according to Perry, we need to add some amendments to the 2nd Amendment: you have a right to carry IF YOU HAVE BEEN DEEMED APPROPRIATELY TRAINED, AND YOU HAVE A FLAWLESS BACKGROUND..
    We have all seen what happens with that slippery slope in places like New York and California where people now have to PROVE they have a need for a firearm and even proof of death threats is not justification to be armed in New York.. (Just ask John Stossel who, was turned down repeatedly for a concealed weapon permit because the state said he did not justify a need even though he produced proof of death threats).

    Perry went on to say this: “We license people to drive on our highways,” he said. “We give them that privilege. The same is true with our concealed handguns.”

    Governor Perry clearly does not comprehend the 2nd Amendment. The right to bear arms is not a privilege given by the government. Our founding fathers made it clear that the right to defend life is a basic human need that people of this country are born with. The 2nd Amendment is not the a permission slip from the government giving citizens the right to bear arms..It is a statement TO THE GOVERNMENT that the citizens already have this right and YOU, GOVERNMENT, shall not infringe.

    Governor Perry just lost my support for any office he ever attempts to hold.
    I also believe he just lost support amongst the People of the Gun world for his presidential aspirations.

    The good news for Texans is that permitted open carry stands an excellent chance of making it to Governor Abbott’s desk, who’s declared his intention to sign it.

    From:http://janmorganmedia.com/2015/02/ri...2nd-amendment/
    Last edited by Law abider; 03-02-2015 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Politicians say what they think will get them elected. Sometimes what they think will get them elected is how they actually feel, so it is honest. IMO most politicians are against the constitution as it was written.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    If Rick Perry is for permits then he is anti-liberty.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If Rick Perry is for permits then he is anti-liberty.
    I agree, but then most politicians, and lobbyists are anti-liberty. How to you tell if a politician is lying?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I agree, but then most politicians, and lobbyists are anti-liberty. How to you tell if a politician is lying?
    Turns out most voters are anti-liberty as the libertarians and anarchists would define liberty.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Turns out most voters are anti-liberty as the libertarians and anarchists would define liberty.

    Charles
    This is true, but mostly because they have been lied to by windbag politicians.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Lone Star Veteran Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    712
    The title to this thread implies that anyone had confidence in the first place of Rick Perry as a presidential candidate. I hope this is not the case.

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The title to this thread implies that anyone had confidence in the first place of Rick Perry as a presidential candidate. I hope this is not the case.
    I have more confidence in Rick than I do Billary...

    Billary does not even want you to carry, think about carrying, having pictures of carrying. Except for her personal guards...
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-02-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is true, but mostly because they have been lied to by windbag politicians.
    No. Windbag politicians tell the lies they do because those lies work well with focus groups. Windbag politicians no longer dare go near a Lincoln-Douglas debate because the electorate has an attention span measured in seconds.

    I'd start looking for the cause of voter problems in either the government/union run school systems or the welfare state that pretty effectively encourages out-of-wedlock baby making and perpetual living on the dole.

    But even popular media has embraced and/or encouraged shorter attention spans . Notice how often film critics complain if a movie is even slightly longer than 90 minutes. How did we ever manage to make it through "Gone With the Wind," "The Right Stuff," or even mini-series like "Roots"? Compare the lingering camera angles typical in older films that had thoughtful dialogue and real story telling (Casablanca) with the hyperactive special effects and utter lack of decent plotline so typical today.

    The electorate wants sound bites, bumper stickers, and "Our Team" rah rah and the politicians oblige.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    No. Windbag politicians tell the lies they do because those lies work well with focus groups. Windbag politicians no longer dare go near a Lincoln-Douglas debate because the electorate has an attention span measured in seconds.

    I'd start looking for the cause of voter problems in either the government/union run school systems or the welfare state that pretty effectively encourages out-of-wedlock baby making and perpetual living on the dole.

    But even popular media has embraced and/or encouraged shorter attention spans . Notice how often film critics complain if a movie is even slightly longer than 90 minutes. How did we ever manage to make it through "Gone With the Wind," "The Right Stuff," or even mini-series like "Roots"? Compare the lingering camera angles typical in older films that had thoughtful dialogue and real story telling (Casablanca) with the hyperactive special effects and utter lack of decent plotline so typical today.

    The electorate wants sound bites, bumper stickers, and "Our Team" rah rah and the politicians oblige.

    Charles
    Or money grubbing lobbyists...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Or money grubbing lobbyists...
    I have to agree with my libertarian friends who point out that so long as politicians have power and favors for sale, one can't much be surprised nor upset that there are those who are willing to buy the power and favors.

    On the one hand I abhor those who deliberately game the system in their favor. I hold in equal disdain those who do so from the big business side as well as those who make careers and big business from supposedly "helping the poor."

    If a Republican wants campaign signs or printing done for a convention or candidate, he ought to find a printer who is completely willing to do that to work rather than using the government to force an unwilling man to provide services to him. Ditto for homosexual couple who wants invites printed or a cake baked for their "wedding".

    On the other hand, we have a right to petition our legislators for redress of grievances. We have a right to hire an agent to work on our behalf. And much of lobbying is defensive in nature: You've got to protect your interests from infringement by the other guy.

    I've never been paid a penny for my pro-RKBA advocacy before the Utah legislature. But that has placed me at a certain disadvantage compared to those who are getting paid to be up there full time attacking my rights. So I've greatly appreciated those times and seasons when other pro-RKBA groups in Utah have been able to hire a decent lobbyist who is up there full time.

    That all said, I don't think lobbyists should have any special privileges over common citizens or unpaid activists. And one key to that would be to prohibit all former elected officials from acting as lobbyists for a long period of time after leaving office...along with cutting off all benefits that might currently be extended to former officials. Leave office, become regular citizen but with some extra restrictions.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  12. #12
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    I don't think I ever had confidence in Rick Perry as a presidential candidate...
    Advocate freedom please

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Perry went on to say this: “We license people to drive on our highways,” he said. “We give them that privilege...
    Huh!?!?!

    If the highways belong to everybody in Texas ("our highways"), and everybody needs a license to enjoy this "privilege", then who the devil has standing to "give" the privilege? If it is a privilege for me to drive, how the devil do I have standing to extend that privilege to you? If it is a privilege for me to drive, how can I possibly have authority to vote/delegate to someone else (government) power to extend the privilege to you?

    Daggone collectivists.

    Of course, if Perry thinks so little of you that he's willing to try to fly that drivel past you, he cannot possibly be all that worried about your fundamental human right of self-defense.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  14. #14
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    pfft I'll vote for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as long as it says Republican next to his name
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    those who carry guns ought to be “appropriately backgrounded, appropriately vetted, appropriately trained.”
    Well yeah I kind of agree that they ought to. But I don't see where the nation or state has the authority to do that. The chances of that right to be artificially restricted based on some bureaucrat's power-grubbing and favor-grabbing are way too high (see most counties in California for a good example, harris county with regard to full auto, etc). The government doesn't have the authority to require that and pretty much never can as long as we want to keep those rights.
    Last edited by jordanmills; 03-03-2015 at 12:50 AM.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    pfft I'll vote for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as long as it says Republican next to his name
    Kinda like The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), or The People's Republic of China? (Red China), or the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics?

    Abraham Lincoln once asked, take your average dog--four legs and a tail--and call the tail a leg. Now, how many legs does the dog have? Surprisingly, a lot of people will say five. Lincoln said four, "...calling a tail a leg does not change its essential nature." When I first read that several years ago, I did not realize its sweeping applicability. Almost daily I run into someone who demonstrates an example of trying to change the essential nature of something in their own mind simply by saying it is something else.

    Even the venerated Federalists pulled the trick. In order to make themselves look better to the American people, they called themselves Federalists, to give the impression they supported a federation of individual states--they called their tails a leg. In truth, they were abolishing a federation and erecting a national government that would morph into a leviathan. They abolished the federation formed under the Articles of Confederation (in those days, federation and confederation were synonymous.)

    I care less what label a person hangs after his name; I'm interested in the essential nature.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I agree, but then most politicians, and lobbyists are anti-liberty. How to you tell if a politician is lying?
    That would be when their lips move? (Sorry, couldn't resist and can't believe that nobody had yet said it.)
    NRA Life Member

    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Kinda like The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), or The People's Republic of China? (Red China), or the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics?

    Abraham Lincoln once asked, take your average dog--four legs and a tail--and call the tail a leg. Now, how many legs does the dog have? Surprisingly, a lot of people will say five. Lincoln said four, "...calling a tail a leg does not change its essential nature." When I first read that several years ago, I did not realize its sweeping applicability. Almost daily I run into someone who demonstrates an example of trying to change the essential nature of something in their own mind simply by saying it is something else.

    Even the venerated Federalists pulled the trick. In order to make themselves look better to the American people, they called themselves Federalists, to give the impression they supported a federation of individual states--they called their tails a leg. In truth, they were abolishing a federation and erecting a national government that would morph into a leviathan. They abolished the federation formed under the Articles of Confederation (in those days, federation and confederation were synonymous.)

    I care less what label a person hangs after his name; I'm interested in the essential nature.
    Their essential nature is likely whatever it needs to be to get elected.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    El Paso County, Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Their essential nature is likely whatever it needs to be to get elected.
    Nope, you're describing their chameleon nature, not their essential nature. Their essential nature is what they will want to do when they think no one is looking.

  20. #20
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The title to this thread implies that anyone had confidence in the first place of Rick Perry as a presidential candidate. I hope this is not the case.
    Seriously. I can't fathom why it took the thread creator this long to open his eyes.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Custodian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Capital City of Oaks - Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    293

    Wait, you had faith in a politician?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post

    Rick Perry has decided (based on HIS personal convictions) that people do not deserve Constitutional Carry.

    Governor Rick Perry has outed himself on Constitutional Carry and also proved his lack of understanding of the 2nd Amendment by promoting regulations and restrictions on citizens who want to own firearms.
    His position is clear from the recent comments he made in the Texas Tribune..

    [Perry] said he “prefers concealed handguns for “a more practical reason.”

    “I don’t want the bad guys to know if I’m carrying,” he said. “I don’t want to be the first person shot if something’s going down.”
    Fine.. thats HIS personal preference. In a free country, he is entitled to his opinion and his personal preference for carrying a firearm.. however… his feelings do not and should not trump our Constitutional rights.

    Perry said he was “not necessarily all that fond of this open carry concept,” adding that those who carry guns ought to be “appropriately backgrounded, appropriately vetted, appropriately trained.”

    So… according to Perry, we need to add some amendments to the 2nd Amendment: you have a right to carry IF YOU HAVE BEEN DEEMED APPROPRIATELY TRAINED, AND YOU HAVE A FLAWLESS BACKGROUND..
    We have all seen what happens with that slippery slope in places like New York and California where people now have to PROVE they have a need for a firearm and even proof of death threats is not justification to be armed in New York.. (Just ask John Stossel who, was turned down repeatedly for a concealed weapon permit because the state said he did not justify a need even though he produced proof of death threats).

    Perry went on to say this: “We license people to drive on our highways,” he said. “We give them that privilege. The same is true with our concealed handguns.”

    Governor Perry clearly does not comprehend the 2nd Amendment. The right to bear arms is not a privilege given by the government. Our founding fathers made it clear that the right to defend life is a basic human need that people of this country are born with. The 2nd Amendment is not the a permission slip from the government giving citizens the right to bear arms..It is a statement TO THE GOVERNMENT that the citizens already have this right and YOU, GOVERNMENT, shall not infringe.

    Governor Perry just lost my support for any office he ever attempts to hold.
    I also believe he just lost support amongst the People of the Gun world for his presidential aspirations.

    The good news for Texans is that permitted open carry stands an excellent chance of making it to Governor Abbott’s desk, who’s declared his intention to sign it.

    From:http://janmorganmedia.com/2015/02/ri...2nd-amendment/
    Place your faith in no man, for they shall ALL DECEIVE YOU.

    And a politician, especially one who is always seeking a higher form of office? Is the lowest form of man, more like vermin, or virus, sub-humanoid at best, little more than primordial ooze.
    Last edited by Custodian; 03-09-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Felt like addin' stuff
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

    Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
    Place your faith in no man, for they shall ALL DECEIVE YOU.

    And a politician, especially one who is always seeking a higher form of office? Is the lowest form of man, more like vermin, or virus, sub-humanoid at best, little more than primordial ooze.
    Very true. When someone asks me whom do I bow to, I say "to one king and Him only and honor the authority but don't have to agree with it and work for a change."

  23. #23
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    I try to keep in mind....that the United States Constitution...and our respective state constitutions were adopted for the benefit of THE PEOPLE...not for the convenience of our elected or appointed officials.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •