• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hmm...

OC for ME

Michael Youlen stopped a driver in a Manassas apartment complex on a recent night and wrote the man a ticket for driving on a suspended license. With a badge on his chest and a gun on his hip, Youlen gave the driver a stern warning to stay off the road.

The stop was routine police work, except for one fact: Youlen is not a Manassas officer. The citation came courtesy of the private force he created that, until recently, he called the “Manassas Junction Police Department.”

He is its chief and sole officer.

He is a force of one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f6e02e-8f79-11e4-a900-9960214d4cd7_story.html
I wonder if this ex-cop would arrest a active cop he thought was breaking the law. Hmm...

OC for ME

You are welcome. I had not heard of this thing before. We have reserve officers, only paid when called up, usually for large events. Not sure how the local cops interact with these private peace officers. Though, the fella in the article used to be a local cop, so he likely has little issues with local cops.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Michael Youlen stopped a driver in a Manassas apartment complex on a recent night and wrote the man a ticket for driving on a suspended license. With a badge on his chest and a gun on his hip, Youlen gave the driver a stern warning to stay off the road.

The stop was routine police work,...

Something very critical is missing: the RAS for the stop. How did he know the man was driving with a suspended license?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Something very critical is missing: the RAS for the stop. How did he know the man was driving with a suspended license?
Prior knowledge? We haven't heard the rest of the story.

I'm certified to train SCOPs. I'm anxious to see the new training requirements.
Me too Jim. See the current excutive adminstration as wanting to take some of the teeth away from them though.

My understanding, no cite provided, is that a SCOP is limited in scope as to their area of authority/responsibility - it is not a blanket, municipality nor state wide authorization.

IMO - these citizen officers could provide a return to the officer friendly image. It certainly bridges a gap between sworn LEOs and auxillary officers.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
My understanding, no cite provided, is that a SCOP is limited in scope as to their area of authority/responsibility - it is not a blanket, municipality nor state wide authorization.

IMO - these citizen officers could provide a return to the officer friendly image. It certainly bridges a gap between sworn LEOs and auxillary officers.

Right....its limited to a place, like an apartment complex, housing community, etc.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Possible he stopped the driver for some other reason and discovered the bad license.

I'm sure the stern warning did the trick.

He might have been able to discover an *expired* license, but unless SCOPs have radio access to Dispatch in their jurisdiction or the state DMV database, I don't see how he could have determined that the driver's license was suspended.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Although a Judge could theoretically determine the authority as a whole incorporated political subdivision. Yes?

Most likely "No."

Doing that would put him in direct competition with the existing police force. See the Va Constitution about there being only one government. A judge would have had to go to post-doctoral stupid school to try that.

I'm just curious which "(i) [] sheriff or chief of police of any county, city, or town; (ii) any corporation authorized to do business in the Commonwealth; (iii) the owner, proprietor, or authorized custodian of any place within the Commonwealth; or (iv) any museum owned and managed by the Commonwealth" applied to the circuit court judge for his appointment. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-13

And my money is on no "sheriff or chief of police". Any of the others would, if for no reason other than liability, want to limit the jurisdiction to their property boundaries.

As an example - a gated community in Caroline County has Special Conservators of the Peace for their property - except for the one public road that traverses the property. If you throw litter on the roadway it's the County Sheriff's jurisdiction. But since the gated community made a deal with the state and county to do all maintenance/repair of what would normally be the easment, that works out to something like 6 inches from the edge of the pavement (which they mow and otherwise maintain anyway). Throw litter off onto the shoulder and it's their jurisdiction. I learned this from personal experience - not of throwing litter (ask Grapeshot where I put mine) but from asking the chief of the SCOP force because I was curious.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
He might have been able to discover an *expired* license, but unless SCOPs have radio access to Dispatch in their jurisdiction or the state DMV database, I don't see how he could have determined that the driver's license was suspended.

One SCOP force (a large gated community probably 15 sq mi) I am aware of has radio contact with the County Sheriff who looks stuff up for them. Another one does not care about motor vehicle laws as their jurisdiction is apartment complexes where "bad driving" can be fit into vandalism or disturbing the peace if trespassing does not cover it.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most likely "No."

Doing that would put him in direct competition with the existing police force. See the Va Constitution about there being only one government. A judge would have had to go to post-doctoral stupid school to try that.

I'm just curious which "(i) [] sheriff or chief of police of any county, city, or town; (ii) any corporation authorized to do business in the Commonwealth; (iii) the owner, proprietor, or authorized custodian of any place within the Commonwealth; or (iv) any museum owned and managed by the Commonwealth" applied to the circuit court judge for his appointment. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-13

And my money is on no "sheriff or chief of police". Any of the others would, if for no reason other than liability, want to limit the jurisdiction to their property boundaries.

As an example - a gated community in Caroline County has Special Conservators of the Peace for their property - except for the one public road that traverses the property. If you throw litter on the roadway it's the County Sheriff's jurisdiction. But since the gated community made a deal with the state and county to do all maintenance/repair of what would normally be the easment, that works out to something like 6 inches from the edge of the pavement (which they mow and otherwise maintain anyway). Throw litter off onto the shoulder and it's their jurisdiction. I learned this from personal experience - not of throwing litter (ask Grapeshot where I put mine) but from asking the chief of the SCOP force because I was curious.

stay safe.
As the limit is reached, he then trades his truck/van in on an empty one that has side mirrors that can be seen. :p

scouser

stay safe.

The one at Landor Lake on Ladysmith Rd by chance?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The one at Landor Lake on Ladysmith Rd by chance?

Not gonna say. :D

Know some of those SCOPes. They would make Good Cops but did not apply because of some picky ethical issues about who they would not work with.

stay safe.

Lyndsy Simon

Quick question - would the federal special permissions for carry for law enforcement apply to individuals active or retired from a private agency like this?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Quick question - would the federal special permissions for carry for law enforcement apply to individuals active or retired from a private agency like this?

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act#Qualified_law_enforcement_officers

In 18 USC § 926B(c),[10] "qualified law enforcement officer" is defined as an employee of a governmental agency ....

In 18 USC § 926C(c),[11] "qualified retired law enforcement officer" is defined as an individual who:
separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency ....

See http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/01/does-the-leosa-carry-law-apply-to-you.aspx for some citations to cases where positions not "normally" thought of as police officers were found to be covered. But the common factor is they were all associated with public governmental activities. That does include civillian protection forces hired to provise police and police-like service on federal property - such as the "cops" that patrol some military bases or even just do gate duty.

stay safe.

sidestreet

Took the course on my own probably ten years ago or so…,

the situation at my work was heading towards having all of our full time officers become SCOPs, and I wanted to get ahead of the game and be familiar. Silly me, a regime change took place (as almost always), and the "momentum" turned 180 degrees. Now we are pretty much just "observe and report" warm bodies with a uniform and a flashlight.

It was a good, though costly experience. Learned a great deal, met some awful nice folks, and was invited to take a look see at a firm that pretty much did this here in Virginia and "were" for lack of a better expression, the peace officers for a certain Virginia "community" that had as one of it's residents a former head coach for the "Washington Deadskins". Not going to mention any names or companies , but these folks were frequently called as "backup" or "first responders" for the county's Sheriff's department, IIRC.

I will say this, a lot of those folks I met had way more on the ball than a whole lot of so called LEO's I've met, and way more integrity, JMHO though.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

countryclubjoe

Not gonna say. :D

Know some of those SCOPes. They would make Good Cops but did not apply because of some picky ethical issues about who they would not work with.

stay safe.

Can anyone pick out the oxymoron in skid's post?