• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ASUN Opposes Weapons on Campus

rickyray9

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2015/03/03/asun-opposes-weapons-on-campus/
Two resolutions that oppose weapons on school campuses passed through the Associated Students of the University of Nevada senate on Wednesday, Feb. 25.

Senate resolutions 82-122 and 82-135 took a stance against Assembly Bill 2 and Assembly Bill 148. The senate passed S.Res 82-135 in a vote of 11-7 and S.Res 82-122 passed unanimously.
ASUN will send a representative to Carson City on Thursday, March 5 to read their resolution regarding AB 148 to the Assembly Committee on Judiciary at 8 a.m.
This is non-binding on campus, but they will get the judiciary committee's ear on the 5th to speak their piece.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Before the senate meeting, ASUN informed students that they would be discussing both resolutions through email and social media and encouraged them to voice their opinions during the public comment portion of the meeting.

That's funny. I'm a student there and I never heard about any meeting regarding this bill. Maybe they only sent the e-mails to the people they thought would share an anti-gun view.

As far as I'm concerned ASUN should be abolished. The organization primarily exists to siphon money off of tuition costs to waste on pizza parties of trivial importance. I recall a club on campus used some of the money for a bouncehouse once.

Last edited:

rickyray9

That's funny. I'm a student there and I never heard about any meeting regarding this bill. Maybe they only sent the e-mails to the people they thought would share an anti-gun view.

As far as I'm concerned ASUN should be abolished. The organization primarily exists to siphon money off of tuition costs to waste on pizza parties of trivial importance. I recall a club on campus used some of the money for a bouncehouse once.

In student government as in civil government, it's corrupt, nothing of value to the financiers gets accomplished, and more money is never enough money.

varminter22

Contrast that with the pro-gun stance in the March 21, 2011, Nevada Sagebrush article below.

Unfortunately, the link to the article no longer works.

From: http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/201...r-self-defense/comment-page-1/#comment-139572

Staff Editorial: Guns on campus allow for self defense
BY: STAFF EDITORIAL
Monday, March 21, 2011 - 9:58 PM

Lifting the gun ban at Nevada colleges would provide students with a level of necessary protection and safety on campus.

Current university policy is that in order to bring a firearm to campus, one must get special approval from the president. If passed, S.B. 231 would allow certified permit holders to carry their weapons on campus, giving students and faculty opportunities for self-defense on Nevada campuses, some of which are located in high-crime areas.

Nevada university officials are unfortunately opposed to this bill, and we ask that they reconsider and join the support of allowing its campus community to protect itself.

Students should not have to leave their Second Amendment right to bear arms at the schoolhouse door.

While the blue emergency lights on campus are great, some say they are not enough.

As Amanda Collins testified to the Legislature last week, the service would not have helped her when she was raped by James Biela in a University of Nevada, Reno parking garage in 2007. She said she would not have been able to reach the blue light emergency button had it been there, but could have pulled her firearm.

Aside from individual situations, a campus carry law could deter mass shootings, as seen on campuses around the nation in Northern Illinois and Virginia Tech, among others.

A person may be much less willing to bring a gun to campus to use against students who may be carrying firearms themselves.

A gun ban makes students sitting ducks, leaving them prime targets.
While opponents of the bill, including university administration, argue that a campus carry allowance could lead to more violence, no such evidence of that as a possible consequence has been shown.

Historically, school shootings have been at the hand of an individual who brings a gun to campus regardless of any law.

On another token, there should be an addendum added to the bill. As administrators are correct in pointing out, alcohol, rowdy unsportsmanlike conduct and weapons, do not mix. Firearms should not be allowed at sporting events.

But college faculty and students are educated enough to make responsible decisions regarding the use of firearms at college campuses. State laws that require training and certification further enforce this idea of keeping gun-owners educated.

It is the responsibility of institutions to protect its students and staff, and prohibiting self defense through use of legal firearms if necessary goes against that safety commitment.

The Nevada Sagebrush can be reached at editor@nevadasagebrush.com.

Last edited:

rickyray9

UNR was filled with students that went to Reno High with Brianna Denison at the time. They have all since graduated and left the school to the next classes. How quickly we forget.

varminter22

From the Crime Prevention Research Center:

March 5, 2015 · John R Lott

CPRC testimony before the Nevada Assembly Judiciary Committee on eliminating many Gun-Free Zones

A video of the first panel testifying on the bill to reduce the number of gun-free zones in Nevada is available below. Since the first panel went through a lot of the facts regarding guns and schools as well as mass public shootings, the opponents of the bill were put in a difficult position. Proponent after proponent would bring up hypothetical examples of what might go wrong and the Chairman Ira Hansen would say: “As we have heard during the first panel, that type of concern hasn’t occurred. Do you have any evidence that the type of concern that you are raising has actually occurred?” And the answer was consistently “no.” For those interested in watching the entire testimony from Thursday see here (see the video starting at 36:20).

[video=youtube;efR3DC4aD5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efR3DC4aD5g&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Read entire article here:
http://crimepreventionresearchcente...committee-on-eliminating-many-gun-free-zones/