• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ymca

1trumpet01

The Y in Danville has a Ghost Busters sign up. It states no weapons. Is that legal? I thought they take government money. Thanks in advance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The YMCA is a private entity and their real estate is private property.

The are not part of any division of the government at any level.

They have been anti-gun for generations.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
As long as I've been familiar with YMCA in adulthood, they refuse to do business with gun carriers. They may have done so when I was a kid too, but I was unaware of it until the later years. I've seen their prohibitions in Ohio, Arizona, and now Virginia. In this state anyway, it's perfectly lawful for them to discriminate against potential customers in this way. As a result, I stay away.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We all take "government money".

The YMCA requires you to become a member. Otherwise bums would come in off the street to use the showers and sauna as well as ogle everybody. (Do some research on why the Y went to membership from being an open-door preaching establishment.)

Membership organizations can discriminate to their heart's content. The biggest penalty they face is loss of tax-exempt status - but only for discriminating against designated protected categories. Lawful carry of firearms is not currently a protected category.

stay safe.