Thread: Man practicing open carry right prompts school lockdown

Man practicing open carry right prompts school lockdown

911 received "about a million" calls on the OCer..., impressive, typically more than 50 calls at once to 911 in that area causes their 911 system to crash ??? I think someone was exaggerating, as I too did above for illustration purposes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Good on the police employees to handle the situation properly.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Good on the police employees to handle the situation properly.
    ...Did they?

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    I am pleased the situation ended peacefully. The article seems to indicate that momentarily the situation was tense. The OC carrier had a verbal exchange with leos. For me the only issue is that the Ocer's emotions may have gotten out of hand. We should be able to be diplomatic, courteous and make our point to leos who may or may not agree with OUR 2A rights. vs THEIR 2A rights. They are ministers of God to punish the evildoer and reward those who do good.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officers lest they be known as OEO = Opinion Enforcement Officers. Who cares what they like or don't like. I don't like those who legally smoke, does that give me the right to follow them around and harass them because they "could" make someone Ill? Didn't think so.

Should I be able to stop every smoker I see to be certain they are not a felon in possession of a controlled substance disguised as a cigarette???
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-10-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    Whether we like him or not, he has something to say about this incident.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...gonize-police/

We all handle things differently, Mr. Beck has some valid points IMHO. I can also see it from OCers point of view that he's sick of agencies that know him (apparently) continually giving him a hard time for a LEGAL activity.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    We all handle things differently, Mr. Beck has some valid points IMHO. I can also see it from OCers point of view that he's sick of agencies that know him (apparently) continually giving him a hard time for a LEGAL activity.
    That, they should not have done. Pestering a known law abiding citizen a hard time.

That's actually pleasing to know that that dim witted shock jock **** is slamming us rather than trying to hijack our movement like he helped do to the tea party.

Glenn Beck is a statist monster and a corporate shill. I suppose I consider it an honor to know that he dislikes what my friends and I stand for.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    That's actually pleasing to know that that dim witted shock jock **** is slamming us rather than trying to hijack our movement like he helped do to the tea party.

Glenn Beck is a statist monster and a corporate shill. I suppose I consider it an honor to know that he dislikes what my friends and I stand for.
    +1

Check list for indicators your opinion is wrong
    #6 Beck agrees with you.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I have been advised that fox 2 did a story on him and maliciously made it look like he tried to enter the school, when in fact he only tried to enter the police station after the cops had said he could stop by. Fox 2 is interesting in how they alternate between decent stories and slanderous garbage.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-10-2015 at 11:51 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Mr. Beck is just one of many 2A supporters that require us to support the 2A as they do.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

A write up about what happened from the OCers point of view can be found here:

http://michigancarries.org/2015/03/l...he-full-story/

And this video sums up his views & actions pretty well.
    http://youtu.be/zWl6ofyAV-o
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-13-2015 at 02:20 PM.

I am impressed by this Michigan group. The recent walk near the high school addresses the irrational fears of open carry and long guns quite powerfully.

Yep - the schools do a damn good job of spinning legal activity into the work of Satan! They manage often to get the villagers all worked up & dupe them into doing their bidding. Which in this case, appears to be to incite panic. It's all about control people, and if the schools get their way, the law will mean nothing & their irrational policies will trump the will of the people. Yet again

While I personally do not think its wise to carry a rifle on school grounds, I do support open carry of a pistol on school grounds.* Regardless, I think a guy carrying a gun with a perceived temper problem becomes a liability.* *These type of encounters do open carry an injustice.* It plays right into their hands of "look open carry is dangerous".* *While it may become annoying to have police follow you around or perhaps "harass" you. I do not think he should have lost his temper.* It did not help his cause any.* It could have caused an impasse of the pending lawsuit against Clio, a different school district.* Bad legislation is rushed legislation. I can see rushed legislation stemming from situations like this.

Couple of points to your comments - (1) he was never on school property per se - he walked by the "public school" (owned by us) on a "public side walk" also (owned by us).
    (2) People said the same thing about carry in general when MI became a "shall issue" state nearly 14 years ago. People carrying everywhere will cause law makers to panic and pass harsh laws etc.. etc...never happened & that was with the left & the "Brady bunch" screaming "blood will flow in red rivers in the street..."

You make good points about the carrier losing his cool, we all are human and make mistakes. Let's hope he learns and uses the knowledge to make it clear he's not the issue. Stupid & USELESS school policies and silly wastes of police resources (show of force displays to ease irrational fears) are the issues at play here IMHO.

Perception is reality and this incident did little to better the perceptions the public has of open carriers in general. Spilt milk at this point, so here's hoping we get better at getting our message our message across in the future.

FIA, I agree with you that we do lose our cool. However this person has been doing this for 4 years according to reports and losing ones cool as he did does make cast him in a less than favorable light. It could be argued that all of the good people who OC in Michigan are ambassadors for good will towards gun owners. I try to keep that in mind when I OC.
    While I do not support how he interacted with the cops I stand behind his right to carry the way he does and say what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Couple of points to your comments - (1) he was never on school property per se - he walked by the "public school" (owned by us) on a "public side walk" also (owned by us).
    (2) People said the same thing about carry in general when MI became a "shall issue" state nearly 14 years ago. People carrying everywhere will cause law makers to panic and pass harsh laws etc.. etc...never happened & that was with the left & the "Brady bunch" screaming "blood will flow in red rivers in the street..."

You make good points about the carrier losing his cool, we all are human and make mistakes. Let's hope he learns and uses the knowledge to make it clear he's not the issue. Stupid & USELESS school policies and silly wastes of police resources (show of force displays to ease irrational fears) are the issues at play here IMHO.

Perception is reality and this incident did little to better the perceptions the public has of open carriers in general. Spilt milk at this point, so here's hoping we get better at getting our message our message across in the future.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    FIA, I agree with you that we do lose our cool. However this person has been doing this for 4 years according to reports and losing ones cool as he did does make cast him in a less than favorable light. It could be argued that all of the good people who OC in Michigan are ambassadors for good will towards gun owners. I try to keep that in mind when I OC.
    While I do not support how he interacted with the cops I stand behind his right to carry the way he does and say what he said.
    If I were hassled by cops, periodically for four years, and the cops now know me, I'd might lose my cool too. What part of "not breaking the law" do the cops not get. Just cuz a school calls about a gun does not mean that a stop is in order because of a call from a school. Call out the SHTF squad and be ready, but, do not stop the citizen if he is not breaking the law. Kids/school get to see a bunch of wannabe GI Joes and the citizen don't get handed a chance to lose his cool.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If I were hassled by cops, periodically for four years, and the cops now know me, I'd might lose my cool too. What part of "not breaking the law" do the cops not get. Just cuz a school calls about a gun does not mean that a stop is in order because of a call from a school. Call out the SHTF squad and be ready, but, do not stop the citizen if he is not breaking the law. Kids/school get to see a bunch of wannabe GI Joes and the citizen don't get handed a chance to lose his cool.
    Quoted for truth!

:thumbsup:

One could even say (looking at the event in full context), the cops did what they always accuse the OCers of: they trolled him, and had some success at it.

Unless you live in the country like us it is darn near impossible to walk armed without passing through a GFSZ. IMO the whole purpose of the law was to create one large zone where only government agents could carry.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Unless you live in the country like us it is darn near impossible to walk armed without passing through a GFSZ. IMO the whole purpose of the law was to create one large zone where only government agents could carry.
    ^^^ THIS!!!^^^

:thumbsup: