• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man practicing open carry right prompts school lockdown

FreeInAZ

911 received "about a million" calls on the OCer..., impressive, typically more than 50 calls at once to 911 in that area causes their 911 system to crash ??? I think someone was exaggerating, as I too did above for illustration purposes.

Law abider

I am pleased the situation ended peacefully. The article seems to indicate that momentarily the situation was tense. The OC carrier had a verbal exchange with leos. For me the only issue is that the Ocer's emotions may have gotten out of hand. We should be able to be diplomatic, courteous and make our point to leos who may or may not agree with OUR 2A rights. vs THEIR 2A rights. They are ministers of God to punish the evildoer and reward those who do good.

FreeInAZ

LEO = Law Enforcement Officers lest they be known as OEO = Opinion Enforcement Officers. Who cares what they like or don't like. I don't like those who legally smoke, does that give me the right to follow them around and harass them because they "could" make someone Ill? Didn't think so.

Should I be able to stop every smoker I see to be certain they are not a felon in possession of a controlled substance disguised as a cigarette???

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

We all handle things differently, Mr. Beck has some valid points IMHO. I can also see it from OCers point of view that he's sick of agencies that know him (apparently) continually giving him a hard time for a LEGAL activity.

Law abider

We all handle things differently, Mr. Beck has some valid points IMHO. I can also see it from OCers point of view that he's sick of agencies that know him (apparently) continually giving him a hard time for a LEGAL activity.

That, they should not have done. Pestering a known law abiding citizen a hard time.

Michigander

That's actually pleasing to know that that dim witted shock jock **** is slamming us rather than trying to hijack our movement like he helped do to the tea party.

Glenn Beck is a statist monster and a corporate shill. I suppose I consider it an honor to know that he dislikes what my friends and I stand for.

twoskinsonemanns

That's actually pleasing to know that that dim witted shock jock **** is slamming us rather than trying to hijack our movement like he helped do to the tea party.

Glenn Beck is a statist monster and a corporate shill. I suppose I consider it an honor to know that he dislikes what my friends and I stand for.

+1

Check list for indicators your opinion is wrong
#6 Beck agrees with you.

Michigander

I have been advised that fox 2 did a story on him and maliciously made it look like he tried to enter the school, when in fact he only tried to enter the police station after the cops had said he could stop by. Fox 2 is interesting in how they alternate between decent stories and slanderous garbage.

Last edited:

PeterNSteinmetz

I am impressed by this Michigan group. The recent walk near the high school addresses the irrational fears of open carry and long guns quite powerfully.

FreeInAZ

Yep - the schools do a damn good job of spinning legal activity into the work of Satan! They manage often to get the villagers all worked up & dupe them into doing their bidding. Which in this case, appears to be to incite panic. It's all about control people, and if the schools get their way, the law will mean nothing & their irrational policies will trump the will of the people. Yet again :(

Xpiatio

While I personally do not think its wise to carry a rifle on school grounds, I do support open carry of a pistol on school grounds.* Regardless, I think a guy carrying a gun with a perceived temper problem becomes a liability.* *These type of encounters do open carry an injustice.* It plays right into their hands of "look open carry is dangerous".* *While it may become annoying to have police follow you around or perhaps "harass" you. I do not think he should have lost his temper.* It did not help his cause any.* It could have caused an impasse of the pending lawsuit against Clio, a different school district.* Bad legislation is rushed legislation. I can see rushed legislation stemming from situations like this.

FreeInAZ

Couple of points to your comments - (1) he was never on school property per se - he walked by the "public school" (owned by us) on a "public side walk" also (owned by us).
(2) People said the same thing about carry in general when MI became a "shall issue" state nearly 14 years ago. People carrying everywhere will cause law makers to panic and pass harsh laws etc.. etc...never happened & that was with the left & the "Brady bunch" screaming "blood will flow in red rivers in the street..."

You make good points about the carrier losing his cool, we all are human and make mistakes. Let's hope he learns and uses the knowledge to make it clear he's not the issue. Stupid & USELESS school policies and silly wastes of police resources (show of force displays to ease irrational fears) are the issues at play here IMHO.

Perception is reality and this incident did little to better the perceptions the public has of open carriers in general. Spilt milk at this point, so here's hoping we get better at getting our message our message across in the future.

Raggs

FIA, I agree with you that we do lose our cool. However this person has been doing this for 4 years according to reports and losing ones cool as he did does make cast him in a less than favorable light. It could be argued that all of the good people who OC in Michigan are ambassadors for good will towards gun owners. I try to keep that in mind when I OC.
While I do not support how he interacted with the cops I stand behind his right to carry the way he does and say what he said.

Couple of points to your comments - (1) he was never on school property per se - he walked by the "public school" (owned by us) on a "public side walk" also (owned by us).
(2) People said the same thing about carry in general when MI became a "shall issue" state nearly 14 years ago. People carrying everywhere will cause law makers to panic and pass harsh laws etc.. etc...never happened & that was with the left & the "Brady bunch" screaming "blood will flow in red rivers in the street..."

You make good points about the carrier losing his cool, we all are human and make mistakes. Let's hope he learns and uses the knowledge to make it clear he's not the issue. Stupid & USELESS school policies and silly wastes of police resources (show of force displays to ease irrational fears) are the issues at play here IMHO.

Perception is reality and this incident did little to better the perceptions the public has of open carriers in general. Spilt milk at this point, so here's hoping we get better at getting our message our message across in the future.