Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Banks that Support Open Carry (in Billings)?

  1. #1
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51

    Banks that Support Open Carry (in Billings)?

    Hello OCM Members,

    I am trying to find a bank to replace Wells Fargo for both my business and personal use. I'm scouring everywhere I can think of to locate a Billings-area Bank (and Credit Union) that supports OC, and can't seem to find anything. Ideally too, I'd like to look into a bank and credit union that people have had positive OC experience at. Any advice? I drove around over the past couple days looking for signs on the doors (and surrounding areas) that said "No Guns" of local banks and credit unions. I have had no luck finding a pro-gun credit union, and have seen numerous banks without "no guns" sign, but further reading online is causing me confusion as to whether or not various people have debated with the banks and what their corporate policy really is.

    As others have mentioned here, "if there is no sign posted, it's legal unless corporate says otherwise" (or something to that effect), but rather than visiting and talking with 10 different banks to find one, I'd rather get first-hand recommendations to both a credit union and bank that appreciates, and supports OC.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by bwarren917; 03-06-2015 at 03:56 AM.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by bwarren917 View Post
    Hello OCM Members,

    I am trying to find a bank to replace Wells Fargo for both my business and personal use. I'm scouring everywhere I can think of to locate a Billings-area Bank (and Credit Union) that supports OC, and can't seem to find anything. Ideally too, I'd like to look into a bank and credit union that people have had positive OC experience at. Any advice? I drove around over the past couple days looking for signs on the doors (and surrounding areas) that said "No Guns" of local banks and credit unions. I have had no luck finding a pro-gun credit union, and have seen numerous banks without "no guns" sign, but further reading online is causing me confusion as to whether or not various people have debated with the banks and what their corporate policy really is.

    As others have mentioned here, "if there is no sign posted, it's legal unless corporate says otherwise" (or something to that effect), but rather than visiting and talking with 10 different banks to find one, I'd rather get first-hand recommendations to both a credit union and bank that appreciates, and supports OC.

    Thanks.
    I have mostly found that hometown banks are most supportive, rather than larger chain banks. That said, there are financial disadvantages to go with a small hometown bank too.

    I do recall some people reviews of a couple larger banks that they have not had any issues, Personally I used to carry into USBank when I lived over in Washington and never had an issue but thats not to say they didn't have a policy against it, thats just the only larger bank review I could provide you. Others may have better feedback regarding larger chain banks.

    Since its not really a Montana specific thing you could probably search other parts of the forums or even post in the general open carry category and get more responses from outside Montana. Likely, corporate policies would be the same across state lines.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I have mostly found that hometown banks are most supportive, rather than larger chain banks. That said, there are financial disadvantages to go with a small hometown bank too.

    I do recall some people reviews of a couple larger banks that they have not had any issues, Personally I used to carry into USBank when I lived over in Washington and never had an issue but thats not to say they didn't have a policy against it, thats just the only larger bank review I could provide you. Others may have better feedback regarding larger chain banks.

    Since its not really a Montana specific thing you could probably search other parts of the forums or even post in the general open carry category and get more responses from outside Montana. Likely, corporate policies would be the same across state lines.
    Thanks for that reply.

    I looked around online and on the forums to find people with other local bank experience, with no luck. Given there are banks and credit unions here in Billings that are not located elsewhere, I was wondering what people's first-hand experience was.

    Thanks.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Try a Friend or Foe search.
    http://friendorfoe.us/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561
    Not from Montana, but.....

    It seems around here ALL of the credit unions have no gun policies. The Banks are hit and miss. When we moved recently I walked into various banks (was stopped at the CU doors by gun buster signs) open carry and inquired about their firearm policies. I then used the ensuing conversations to judge how welcome I would be in the future, along with reviewing their offerings. One stood out in the way they seemed to actually enjoy talking to me with my firearm being a non issue. They got my business. I'm not rich, but we have more than $50.00 to put into a savings/checking account.

    I also did not want my comings and goings while armed to make my new bank put up a no firearm sign because of me. It's a lot of time to open new accounts and I didn't want my second visit to be stymied by a sign. So, I asked beforehand.

    One credit union told me they did NOT want my business if it came with a gun. So, they didn't get it.

    I would just be up front and direct. When I walk in the bank now, the ranking officer usually will come over and talk to me. I'm nobody, but I'm married to somebody. I've actually been thanked for carrying in my bank, the week that a neighboring bank was robbed!

  6. #6
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    I have OCed in several banks, large and small living in Washington and Arizona; (Chase and my local credit union). Here is a thought: what about an online bank like Ally? You get the benefit of withdrawing cash anywhere there is an ATM so you can pick and choose where you do so. But if you are concerned about mobile deposits or possible security breaches then it wouldn't be a good fit.

  7. #7
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Hi everyone,

    Thanks for your input. I've contacted the following banks and asked for their policy regarding law-abiding citizens that allow OC in their branch. Here is what each bank said, what was posted on their door, and/or those banks whom have yet to respond. Any locals in the Billings areas are welcome to chime in with their experience.

    CU = Credit Union

    Banks/CU's that ALLOW OC (or otherwise don't have a policy/sign that prohibit it):
    • Stockman Bank


    Banks/CU's that DON'T ALLOW OC (or otherwise HAVE a policy/sign that prohibit it):
    • First Interstate Bank
    • Rocky Mountain Bank
    • Little Horn Bank
    • Opportunity Bank
    • Billings Federal CU
    • Atlanta CU
    • Valley Federal CU
    • Rimrock CU
    • Yellowstone Bank
    • Western Security Bank


    Banks/CU's that HAVEN'T RESPONDED:
    • Beartooth Bank
    • Homestead Federal CU
    • Montana Health Federal CU
    • Big Sky Federal CU


    Anyone that has experiences in any of these banks/cu's - or if anyone's able to get through to these financial institutions - please post it here. I've notified those banks/cu's that don't allow OC that criminals will ignore their request and, as a result, I will not be a victim. Therefore, I will do no business at their bank/cu. Instead of responding, most of them opted to ignore me (showing true professionalism)...

    Thanks.
    Last edited by bwarren917; 08-18-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Normal best policy is "Don't ask."

    No signage or no negative response is plenty good enough; however, asking for an advance interpretation will only cause those that haven't formally addressed the issue to consider that they now must. Nothing to gain, much to lose.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    While normally I agree with you, this time I am very glad I asked the banks. And here's why:

    At least one of the banks - in fact, I believe a few of them - said if they saw someone OC'ing into their branch they would set off emergency alarms and call police. Some banks also said they would "react" (I'm not sure what that means, but it certainly brings up some concern as to my safety) to such a situation.

    Typically, 'don't ask, don't tell' is a good philosophy, but seeing as banks are sometimes cause for concern by many who don't know the law - as I experienced here - it's better to be cautious, than regret it. Imagine a cop gets a call "guy with a gun in a bank," given history, we all know that's likely the call to be made.

    Based upon my conversations with the banks, the common things I heard were "it's hard to tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy." I left that at that. And, "We follow Montana law, which prohibits carrying ('concealed' was mentioned sometimes) guns into banks, so we do, too." They are clearly uneducated, and are unaware that MT law does allow loaded OC into banks legally. Despite my best efforts to educate them, all the while, having it in writing, they were not receptive to learning what MT law actually is.

    There's at least one bank that will be getting my business. Beyond that, the other banks can loose business, set-off false alarms, and/or remain in fairy land, and automatically assume they are in a safe-heaven because of misguided logic.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561
    I asked at the banks in town due to reasons I listed earlier. Normally I agree and don't ask if I don't see a sign.

    I think I may have to give my banker lady a great big hug the next time I go in. Open Carry of course! Sure glad we don't have all that foolishness to put up with here.

    I'll see if she'll let me take a picture!
    Last edited by Wstar425; 03-17-2015 at 10:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    I asked at the banks in town due to reasons I listed earlier. Normally I agree and don't ask if I don't see a sign.

    I think I may have to give my banker lady a great big hug the next time I go in. Open Carry of course! Sure glad we don't have all that foolishness to put up with here.

    I'll see if she'll let me take a picture!
    Glad to hear!
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  12. #12
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Montana is one of the only states with a law on the books that regulates carry in a bank. While we know that they restrict concealed carry in banks but implicitly allow OC, Montana banking personnel may not know that; a misunderstanding could lead to some unpleasantness. I talked with a Helena officer once and he flat out said that anyone carrying in a bank would be arrested on the spot.

  13. #13
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Good to know. Seems to me like some parts of MT are becoming more leftist, and that's a classic example. The law is the law, the officers can't arrest for legal activities. But we all know that doesn't stop them.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •