Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call to Action... MOC is Attending Ann Arbor School Board Meeting - Wednesday 03/11/1

Call to Action... MOC is Attending Ann Arbor School Board Meeting - Wednesday 03/11/1

Michigan Open Carry will be attending the Ann Arbor Public School Board meeting this coming Wednesday March 11th.

This past Thursday, MOC member Josh Wade was attending a choir concert at Pioneer High School. During the concert the Pioneer High School choir director Steven Lorenz noticed that Mr. Wade was lawfully open carrying a gun and called the police. The police determined that Mr. Wade was not in violation of any statute. Mr. Wade returned to his seat and enjoyed the concert.

Story here: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...l#incart_river

Mr. Wade's lawful conduct did not set well with a member of the audience, Ann Arbor musician Brian DiBlassio. As the concert was ending, Mr. DiBlassio stood on an elevated platform and attempted to cause a disturbance within the auditorium by announcing loudly that there was a gun in the auditorium. He singled out Mr. Wade in doing so.

As a result of both Mr. Lorenz' and Mr. DiBlassio's behavior, the Ann Arbor Public School Board will be discussing ways to circumvent Michigan law and impose unlawful restrictions on the lawful activities of law abiding citizens of Michigan.

Therefore, MOC leadership will be attending the upcoming school board meeting, to ensure that the Ann Arbor School Board is presented with the facts surrounding Michigan statutes, as well as federal laws, regarding the regulation of the lawful carrying of firearms on school properties.

Please join us in support of Mr Wade, as well as all other law abiding citizens, at this very important meeting.

When: Wednesday March 11th
    Time: 7:00pm
    Where: Huron High School Auditorium
    Address: 2727 Fuller Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105
    Map: https://goo.gl/maps/EXuYa
    Last edited by MOC SE Events; 03-10-2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Venue change

Last edited by Nightmare; 03-07-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Call to action to attend Ann Arbor School Board Meeting . . . all fine and dandy. Wish I could be there if I was closer.

How about "Call to action to lawfully attend public music concerts featuring University of Michigan, Flint music professor Brian DiBlassio". Not to point out the obvious, but that misguided individual could use some therapy in the form of further exposure to peaceful open carry.

Just saying!

Couldn't DiBlassio have charges filed against him? It was in an auditorium. Almost like yelling FIRE. Our even inciting a riot or violence against a law abiding citizen. Did he falsity imply there would be an active shooter situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Xpiatio View Post
    Couldn't DiBlassio have charges filed against him? It was in an auditorium. Almost like yelling FIRE. Our even inciting a riot or violence against a law abiding citizen. Did he falsity imply there would be an active shooter situation?
    The most likely consequence for him would be a professional reputation for attracting well-behaved, law-abiding music-loving OCers to his concerts.
    Last edited by OC4me; 03-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Please note that the venue has changed for the meeting.
    The new meeting location is:

When: Wednesday March 11th
    Time: 7:00pm
    Where: Huron High School Auditorium
    Address: 2727 Fuller Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105
    Map: https://goo.gl/maps/EXuYa

I wish you guys luck with this, and regret that I live so far away these days and can't be there. One of the articles I read had people suggesting Mr. Wade staged the disruption to make a point and possibly a case for a lawsuit. They justified this ridiculous claim by saying his father was at the ready with a camera to film the crowd's reaction. It's worth mentioning that the reason they were there was to see Wades sister singing in the choir. His dad couldn't possibly have had that camera to film her performance, right? I mean, it's definitely more reasonable to suggest it was there to document a "provoked response" to lawful, peaceful open carry, right? /sarcasm

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Arbor School Board Rules for Public Commentary
    Rules for Public Commentary
    (Excerpt from Board Policy 1300)

Public Commentary

Public commentary, typically scheduled near the beginning of all regular meetings of the board, shall be limited to an accumulated time of 45 minutes. At all other meetings of the board, excluding executive sessions, public commentary will be limited to 30 minutes. This limit may be extended at the discretion of the President.

Persons who wish to address the board, and have officially signed up for public commentary, shall be allowed to do so. Speakers must be present during the public commentary period.

The number of speakers will be evenly divided into the 45-minute time limit, and each speaker will be assigned an equal share of time in which to address the board. Maximum time for individual speakers should not exceed four minutes. Exceptions to this time limit may be made with prior arrangement at the discretion of the President.

Those who wish to address the board during public commentary time must sign up personally in advance by calling, writing or emailing the Board of Education office or in person prior to the start of the public commentary period. Speakers are encouraged to complete a Public Commentary Card and deliver it to the Board's assistant/recording secretary prior to the end of the meeting. Speakers wanting a written response should note their request and contact information on the Public Commentary Card.

Speakers will be placed on the public commentary list in order of notice and announced in that order. The list of speakers will be made public following public commentary time.

Speakers may not cede their time to others, and failure to speak will not increase the time allowed other speakers. No speaker will be allowed to address the board more than once during the same meeting.

Each speaker should announce their name and whether they represent any organization or agency.

Speakers may leave a copy of their written comments for inclusion in the meeting materials archive.

Speakers should take into account the rules of common courtesy and refrain from making personal attacks against employees, volunteers, students, parents, community members, or members of the board. If the comments constitute a complaint against an employee, the employee has the right to request a closed meeting. Speakers are encouraged to present complaints about a specific employee, board member, or student through proper channels established under board policy before requesting board consideration.

Members of the board and district employees will not answer questions during public commentary. Previously stated board policies or administrative rules and regulations may, however, be explained. A board member may, with the President's permission, ask a question of a speaker, otherwise no dialogue shall occur.
    http://www.aaps.k12.mi.us/aaps/boe.h...lic_commentary
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Just FYI 97.1 The Ticket FM radio station is discussing this topic right now if anybody in the area who's a more eloquent speaker than I would like to chime in. Some misinformation that could use correcting. Again, good luck tonight guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSquid View Post
    Just FYI 97.1 The Ticket FM radio station is discussing this topic right now if anybody in the area who's a more eloquent speaker than I would like to chime in. Some misinformation that could use correcting. Again, good luck tonight guys.
    I sent a Text Message to 97136 about MSP Legal Update #86, last paragraph of page 2 continuing on page 3.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Call to Action... MOC is Attending Ann Arbor School Board Meeting - Wednesday...

Not sure but I do think requiring people to sign their names to speak is a violation of the MI open meetings act. Doing so serves as a way to potentially conduct reprisals & compile a database against those you wish to silence.

That is specifically why the act was passed into law. To stop paybacks!
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...67-of-1976.pdf
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-11-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I would simply give a pen name & the address to whatever local landmark you like. That is unless the board members are willing to read their full legal names & home addresses into the record first? I'm betting they won't.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Caught this on WWJ today:

(ignore the repeat part, dashcam was switching to parking mode)
    Last edited by kubel; 03-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    Caught this on WWJ today:
    <link to video>
    (ignore the repeat part, dashcam was switching to parking mode)
    What is significant on the video? All I see is a bunch of traffic driving by a static vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    What is significant on the video? All I see is a bunch of traffic driving by a static vehicle.
    It's the audio that's relevant, not the video. Just a clip of the station talking about the meeting with quote snippets from both sides.

Crap....missed out on coming tonight. I thought it was tomorrow night.

Well here's the M live spin..,
    http://youtu.be/WJ9akhpdCbA

Call to Action... MOC is Attending Ann Arbor School Board Meeting - Wednesday...

Got love it "we respect your rights..," now were going to violate them.... (If we can get away with it).
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    The video is irrelevant. The audio is the news piece that I heard on the radio (WWJ 950).

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I would simply give a pen name & the address to whatever local landmark you like. That is unless the board members are willing to read their full legal names & home addresses into the record first? I'm betting they won't.
    Ellwood Blues. 1060 west Addison.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    + Priceless!

I like how all OCers were stopped and forced to produce ID & CPL. Did the police ID everyone to make sure no wanted felons or child molesters or dead beat parents Or people with bench warrants were in the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The Illinois Nazis will not be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    The Illinois Nazis will not be amused.
    Oddly enough many in school leadership exhibit similar traits to ....
    http://youtu.be/HsHjW8rBRk0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast