• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carriers are 'wannabe vigilantes'

MarkS

Pretty twisted article that interprets the 2nd Amendment phrase “a well regulated militia” to empower government to regulate the right to keep and bear arms and require training.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

IMHO, there are a couple of ways to read the introductory clause “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state.” that don't empower government to regulate the right to keep and bear arms. But then, I'm not a judge or a public official, so these are just personal opinions.

1. The right of the people to keep and bear arms is how the people regulate their government (the militia) and prevent its abuses (provide for the security of a free state). Said differently, the 2nd Amendment is intended to ensure that the people have the means of protecting themselves against the abuses of government and ensure that their state remains free.

2. The people are the militia and, therefore, have a right to keep and bear arms. This is consistent with the Revolutionary-era suspicion of standing armies. This view (and the 1st one), view government and the people as potential adversaries and the 2nd Amendment as a means of protecting against government overreach.

3. The introductory clause is merely a recitation of the reason for prohibiting government from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms. The meat of the 2nd Amendment is the 2nd clause that restricts actions of government – “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” The introductory clause has little substantive meaning -- it is just the “why” for the restrictions placed on government (“shall not be infringed”) described in the 2nd clause. This view is consistent with an inherent right of self defense or defense against government.

Contrarian

That is not the original meaning though.

While proficiency is good, such cannot be allowed to define or limit the right i.e. as in only the very well trained be approved to keep and bear arms.

"The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it."

-http://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

No one needs someone showing up with busted (or poorly mended) equipment : remember, Duct Tape hadn't been invented yet.

Kopis

winning comment:

Sounds about right. Our forefathers couldn't have known we'd soon have semi-automatic, multi-round magazines capable of laying wastes to tens of hundreds of folks in short order
Reply · Like · 17 · March 7 at 10:51am

David Poole · Top Commenter
and the First Amendment gives you the right to use a printing press and nothing more.

Get off the Internet, you're using your rights incorrectly.
Reply · Unlike · 35 · March 7 at 11:29am

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It's 'grandeur' ... ''splendor and impressiveness, especially of appearance or style.'' or ''high rank or social importance."

Neither of which are true.

Just left alone to do what is necessary in my life.

Hard to follow?
So my finger missed the letter “u.”

The root word of grandeur is grand.

Your wish to be is to be left alone in your daily pursuits is a grand expectation; for most that open carry.
Most that open carry on a regular basis will at some point be confronted. The outcome of the encounter can go from pleasant to disastrous.

I hope you get your wish.

Contrarian

So my finger missed the letter “u.”

The root word of grandeur is grand.

Your wish to be is to be left alone in your daily pursuits is a grand expectation; for most that open carry.
Most that open carry on a regular basis will at some point be confronted. The outcome of the encounter can go from pleasant to disastrous.

I hope you get your wish.

Not grand in any sense of the word - just normal, everyday activities.
"Most that open carry on a regular basis will at some point be confronted."
Quite possibly true - many drivers will be involved in a car accident at some point.
Just keep on keepin' on.