• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Close encounter of the unlawful detainment kind...

BriKuz

Just spoke with Lana Woolsey of Springfield Law Department. She stated that though SB 656's changes to state law do, in fact, supersede Springfield 82 (a) (1) (k), said state laws DO allow for a detainment to determine License/Permit status. Mrs. Woolsey has seen the video of the incident and has determined that a 15 minute detainment is perfectly acceptable for anyone open carrying in the park (the stop was initiated well before my video started. We'll have to wait for Suunshine Law disclosures to get cruiser dashcam data on full time.) I disagree. I am bouncing around ideas on how to proceed, but it looks as though the courts may be the most viable option for determining what is a "reasonable" amount of time for a detainment. I know that BB62 has requested training materials, and I look forward to perusing them. ANy thoughts on next steps?

Mo

Banned
She's an attorney representing the city. Of course, she's never going to admit any guilt on them.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Just spoke with Lana Woolsey of Springfield Law Department. She stated that though SB 656's changes to state law do, in fact, supersede Springfield 82 (a) (1) (k), said state laws DO allow for a detainment to determine License/Permit status. Mrs. Woolsey has seen the video of the incident and has determined that a 15 minute detainment is perfectly acceptable for anyone open carrying in the park (the stop was initiated well before my video started. We'll have to wait for Suunshine Law disclosures to get cruiser dashcam data on full time.) I disagree. I am bouncing around ideas on how to proceed, but it looks as though the courts may be the most viable option for determining what is a "reasonable" amount of time for a detainment. I know that BB62 has requested training materials, and I look forward to perusing them. ANy thoughts on next steps?
Ms. Woolsey doesn't want to acknowledge Amendment 5/Article 1, Section 23 of the MO Constitution:

Before Amendment 5: That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

After Amendment 5: That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Some things to note: 1) the removal of “concealed weapons” from the former A1, S23, and 2) “…the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement”.

That's her and Springfield's choice.

(the rest of this is written "to" BriKuz, but he's been in more than a few rodeos - it's just easier for me to write things "to" him than otherwise)

Your choice, and the choice of your fellow Missourians, is whether you want to:

A) Attempt to have a legal precedent established by carrying openly without giving notice, being willing to be cited and/or arrested, and following up with a lawsuit

B) Make it publicly known that, after being given notice, Springfield/the Park Police/whomever is not willing to go up against A5/A1, S23, and will not challenge you or you and your 100 closest friends having a meet 'n greet open carry picnic in a local park

Choice A is a winning strategy, if you have the time, money and a willing attorney. After I and others are done communicating with Springfield they're not going to be able to claim in court that they had no idea that Amendment 5 existed, or that there was only the slightest of chances that a clear and comprehensive constitutional statement of RIGHTS more likely than not overrode statutory law to the contrary. In other words, they've been put on notice, and they'll drop your case. They're not stupid - the last thing they want is a court decision saying what we all know to be true - their OC prohibition won't stand up to A5/A1, S23's terms like "unalienable" and strict scrutiny".

Regardless, when you file your lawsuit, steel yourself for 18 months to 2 years of legal wrangling and everything that goes with it. When you win, and I have no doubt you will, the word will get around quickly that those who have the resources to not back down will win. The question is "How many people does that apply to?" Will winning establish the precedent you're seeking? Could a broader win come out of action like I've described above? YES, I certainly think so, but it will take planning, time, money and a willing attorney.

Choice B is also a winning strategy, though it may not establish a legal precedent. For a start, put the city & county on notice that you intend to have an open carry picnic. Do a records request for the guidance each party has received from the Attorney General on Amendment 5/Article 1, Section 23 - especially as it relates to the viability of local anti-OC laws. Write the Attorney General and let him know that you not only expect him to defend you if you or your fellows are charged ("...the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement..."), and also that you expect him to notify those in authority in Springfield and Greene County how they should conduct themselves with respect to individuals seemingly exercising rights under the MO Constitution, when no RAS exists of a violation of the law other than a local anti-OC ordinance.

Will the city harass or cite participants? I don't think they're that stupid. St. Louis wasn't. :cool:

Do this in city after city, and in the meanwhile, for those who insist/want a legal precedent (which Ohio has proven will STILL be challenged), pass Missouri's version of Ohio's 9.68, and sue cities who refuse to read it: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

Other choices may develop as people challenge the status quo, starting with putting various cities on notice. For example, depending on how Springfield and other cities respond to people doing so, suing for harassment may become more viable. A few more thoughts: 1) no smart city is going to be willing to run an aware OCer through the system, and 2) a legislative fix is more likely than a judicial fix, and 3) nothing is going to change unless people challenge the status quo - municipalities in a position to intimidate will keep on doing so because it works, and 4) suing for being detained for an unreasonable amount of time is not a winning approach.

There is more that can be said, and other approaches that can be taken, but, since I have no doubt that Springfield is monitoring this thread, I'm not giving away everything in public! :cool: :cool:

My hope in writing all this up is that, even with A5/A1, S23, people recognize that moving things from where they stand means winning a battle of intimidation. You may be intimidated at the thought of being cited/arrested, but cities are intimidated at the thought of a legal precedence against them being set, or of losing a case involving harassment. They aren't going to put themselves in that position. Also, people in positions of power will not give it up willingly. You ask them to remove a law from their books, and some will say "Make me!" (recognize the intimidation?)

I'm convinced that the real battle is between gun-haters (some politicians and some members of the public) and enlightened people. As time progresses, most cops aren't going to care if you're open carrying, as long as it doesn't look like you're involved in criminal activity - but everything starts with people willing to challenge the status quo. I know BriKuz is. My hope is that others will join him.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not up on all of MO law, but what law allows for detainment to determine if you are licensed? I mean, in that, the Supreme Court has ruled that stopping someone just to see your papers (driver license) is unconstitutional.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not up on all of MO law, but what law allows for detainment to determine if you are licensed? I mean, in that, the Supreme Court has ruled that stopping someone just to see your papers (driver license) is unconstitutional.
I think he may be referring to 21.750, as modified by SB656:

http://legiscan.com/MO/text/SB656/2014 (lines 22-38)

(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:

(a) Any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit who is open carrying a firearm shall be required to have a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit from this state, or a permit from another state that is recognized by this state, in his or her possession at all times;

(b) Any person open carrying a firearm in such jurisdiction shall display his or her concealed carry endorsement or permit upon demand of a law enforcement officer;

(c) In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and

(d) Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:

(a) Any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit who is open carrying a firearm shall be required to have a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit from this state, or a permit from another state that is recognized by this state, in his or her possession at all times;

(b) Any person open carrying a firearm in such jurisdiction shall display his or her concealed carry endorsement or permit upon demand of a law enforcement officer;

(c) In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and

(d) Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121.
Yes, thanks for the reminder. However, 21.750 is in direct conflict with Amendment 5/Article 1, Section 23.

With that said, refer to post #23 above.

Redbaron007

I received a very nice e-mail from a Major with the Greene County Sheriff's office. He explained a few things, and included the information that "Park Rangers have been given a second authority by the Springfield City Counsel which allows them to enforce Springfield Municipal Ordinances on park properties".

The Major also made it clear that the Sheriff "is a concealed carry proponent" and offering the assurance that there are "no anti concealed carry movements or sentiments in place at the Greene County Sheriff's Office". It should be noted that he said nothing about open carry, though. I'm going to leave that lay for the time being.

So... I've written back to Chief Williams of Springfield (copying in the council and city manager) so that he can address the park rule (cited previously) which prohibits ALL carry in Springfield parks.

Interesting stuff.

From my limited interaction around Sheriff Arnott, my thoughts are he is alright with OCing (I have not explicitly heard him say that), but I spoken with a few deputies and been around functions where he is definitely a pro-carry sheriff....he has never made any indirect/direct comments about OCing. However, albeit he is a politician elected to the sheriff's position.

Chief Williams is the unknown to me. He is pro-2A and supports CCW, but there are a few city police officers who have expressed their distaste for OCing and have eluded they have the support of the chief.....again, just chitter-chatter. My assumption for Chief Williams is he is all for CCW and maybe OCing, as long as you have been properly 'screened/trained'

I believe I would have requested her to provide the material that supports her conclusion. This way, you don' have to guess where she is coming from. Also, just ask her where the 15 minute detention to see your papers is supported. I'm going to bet she will throw legal mumbo jumbo and not a dimes worth of resource to support her legal opinion.

Last edited:

OC for ME

A stop/arrest (detainment?) is not mandated under the statute. Thus, any cop who stops you, for the OC of a properly holstered handgun, is doing so because he a) disagrees with OC, or b) is directed to do so by higher authority. If you are "detained" in MO you are under arrest, as clearly stated in RSMo 544.180. Discussing the brief arrest of the citizen is how the citizen should approach city lawyers.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833
Without justice being freely, fully, and impartially administered, neither our persons, nor our rights, nor our property, can be protected. And if these, or either of them, are regulated by no certain laws, and are subject to no certain principles, and are held by no certain tenure, and are redressed, when violated, by no certain remedies, society fails of all its value; and men may as well return to a state of savage and barbarous independence.
Meritless, bad faith or frivolous arguments by attorneys can be sanctioned in criminal cases. Attorneys are forbidden to knowingly advance a claim that is unwarranted. Unfortunately courts will allow prosecutors wide leeway in offering their sinister arguments to procure a conviction. In other words, how misleading or deceiving the argument offered by a prosecutor the courts will usually give them a pass. Unfortunately you don't usually get to the law until a bad decision in the trial court is appealed.

Getting a pound of flesh on a redress of grievances in a 1983 suit is very difficult, time consuming, expensive, ending in a compromised settlement. Exercising your rights individually or in mass, when the law is on your side, will usually prevail.

Drytchnath

This has been confusing the hell out of me.

United States v. Black asserts that lawful possession of a firearm can not be used as RAS. If I am legally carrying a firearm I do not have to cooperate with a LEO if they ask for my ID, even if the law says I do, for the LEO has not the RAS to bring me into a situation where I am required to hand over identification. If I am not under arrest then I am leaving, no I will not have a voluntary encounter with you.

Am I missing something here where this part of the law actually matters?

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This has been confusing the hell out of me.

United States v. Black asserts that lawful possession of a firearm can not be used as RAS. If I am legally carrying a firearm I do not have to cooperate with a LEO if they ask for my ID, even if the law says I do, for the LEO has not the RAS to bring me into a situation where I am required to hand over identification. If I am not under arrest then I am leaving, no I will not have a voluntary encounter with you.

Am I missing something here where this part of the law actually matters?
No, you're not missing anything.

The theory I think the police/prosecutor would operate under is (unless an until 21.750 is overturned) that, in a jurisdiction where OC is illegal, someone OCing is doing something illegal unless they are able to produce what amounts to an affirmative defense - a CCW permit.

All of this is all the more reason why these local prohibitions need to be challenged.

Drytchnath

No, you're not missing anything.

The theory I think the police/prosecutor would operate under is (unless an until 21.750 is overturned) that, in a jurisdiction where OC is illegal, someone OCing is doing something illegal unless they are able to produce what amounts to an affirmative defense - a CCW permit.

All of this is all the more reason why these local prohibitions need to be challenged.

I suppose it is naive of me to believe that we are innocent until proven guilty. This seems to me as if a cop is going to stop me every time I walk out of a store with a shopping bag asking for my receipt, because theft is outlawed. Without proof, how are they to know I am not stealing?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I suppose it is naive of me to believe that we are innocent until proven guilty. This seems to me as if a cop is going to stop me every time I walk out of a store with a shopping bag asking for my receipt, because theft is outlawed. Without proof, how are they to know I am not stealing?
Don't be ridiculous.;)

BriKuz

Spoke with Parks Director, sounds like he was caught unaware with regards to new laws. Said he would take this opportunity to make sure all rangers are trained on relevant laws. Not sure if he "gets" the Amend 5 angle, we'll see.

On another note, records request bill came in at $18 and some change. 911 calls are privileged in MO, but the substantive info IN the call is considered public record and should be transcribed. We'll see if that come in.

I am also considering doing another records request for all e-mails and notes from meetings regarding this issue. At the rates an Admin Ast. gets charged in MO ($36+ an hour) I'm not sure yet if I want to dish out the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drytchnath

Funny, I ignore "greeters" when the try to stop me. Or, i walk straight to customer service and return the items and let them know that I am going to a competitor that DOESN'T treat their customers like criminals.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Spoke with Parks Director, sounds like he was caught unaware with regards to new laws. Said he would take this opportunity to make sure all rangers are trained on relevant laws. Not sure if he "gets" the Amend 5 angle, we'll see...
(my bold above)

What you just referenced is the crux of the matter, and depending on how/how far you're willing to pursue things, it could go a long, long way towards striking down SB656's statutory recognition of local OC bans in favor of Amendment 5/Article 1, Section 23's statement of RIGHTS.

You may have already done this, but if you haven't, I'd introduce the Parks Director to the subject of Amendment 5 and its interaction with the "no weapons" park policy & law.

The Parks Director can't claim he has ensured his officers are properly trained without various attempts to clarify the interaction between the Constitution and statutory law (SB656/park carry prohibition) - and those efforts are what need to be documented, as well as the conclusions.

This is powerful stuff.

On another matter, I haven't received notice as I'm supposed to under Missouri law regarding my records requests. I will follow up and post back when I get more information.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Spoke with Parks Director, sounds like he was caught unaware with regards to new laws. Said he would take this opportunity to make sure all rangers are trained on relevant laws. Not sure if he "gets" the Amend 5 angle, we'll see.

On another note, records request bill came in at $18 and some change. 911 calls are privileged in MO, but the substantive info IN the call is considered public record and should be transcribed. We'll see if that come in.

I am also considering doing another records request for all e-mails and notes from meetings regarding this issue. At the rates an Admin Ast. gets charged in MO ($36+ an hour) I'm not sure yet if I want to dish out the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drytchnath

Funny, I ignore "greeters" when the try to stop me. Or, i walk straight to customer service and return the items and let them know that I am going to a competitor that DOESN'T treat their customers like criminals.

(my bold above)

What you just referenced is the crux of the matter, and depending on how/how far you're willing to pursue things, it could go a long, long way towards striking down SB656's statutory recognition of local OC bans in favor of Amendment 5/Article 1, Section 23's statement of RIGHTS.

You may have already done this, but if you haven't, I'd introduce the Parks Director to the subject of Amendment 5 and its interaction with the "no weapons" park policy & law.

The Parks Director can't claim he has ensured his officers are properly trained without various attempts to clarify the interaction between the Constitution and statutory law (SB656/park carry prohibition) - and those efforts are what need to be documented, as well as the conclusions.

This is powerful stuff.

On another matter, I haven't received notice as I'm supposed to under Missouri law regarding my records requests. I will follow up and post back when I get more information.

BriKuz....I believe, if the director is sincere, may have started the crack in the ice. It may be beneficial to help remind the director of what A5 has done to A1Sec23.

Good follow up.

BriKuz

Link to Ranger Smith's Log

I have received the above. Note the ranger's recollection of events and the video tape don't quite match up.

I am stopping by the Parks office to get a cd of AV stuff this afternoon... more to come.

One thing I find interesting is that a Park Ranger can detain a citizen without filing an incident specific incident report... Is anyone familiar with the process that Greene County Deputy Sheriffs are required to take upon a forcible detainment?

(PS: There is NOTHING consensual about being lit up while driving)

Last edited:

BriKuz

Got bodycam in MP4 format, but need some help editing to redact personal info for both myself and another call that came over open air while the Ranger was in his vehicle. Not much to say, just the same thing as my video from a dif perspective. The ranger DID let out a BIG sigh when my name came back clean, no wants... not sure if it was relief or disappointment.

Anyone with vid editing capabilities and other people on the board to vouch, please PM in case we want to get this up at least for board perusal.