• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cash no good for CPL renewal?!?!?

509rifas

I believe it is the law that if legal tender is not accepted the debt is considered satisfied. Some law they passed when they debased the currency to force stores to accept legal tender federal reserve notes instead of money.
So maybe you can get it without paying...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I believe it is the law that if legal tender is not accepted the debt is considered satisfied. Some law they passed when they debased the currency to force stores to accept legal tender federal reserve notes instead of money.
So maybe you can get it without paying...

That won't fly. Legal tender must be accepted for debts, but not necessarily for immediate exchanges (it's legal to accept credit cards only – no cash – for instance).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Federal Reserve Notes and before that Silver Certificates are legal tender; however a business does not have to accept same as payment.

When I was with a very large commercial and multi-family property management company, we did not accept cash for any reason in a rental office. Not for rent, security deposit, pet fee, etc. Payment accepted only by check or money order. If two bounced personal checks in any 12 month period, then only by money order (limited companies listed) or by certified bank draft. Any internal shortages were averted and we never had a robbery. When you opened the door, first thing you saw was a sign - NO CASH on premises - required at least two agents and never was a prospective tenent to be placed in an agents vehicle if they were not walking to the unit.

If you wanted to see the actual rental unit, we required that a current/active drivering license or military ID be left secured at the rental office until after the fact. No one (singular) rental agent (many were female) would be allowed to show an apartment rental unit away from the office/model. Said these were insurance company and bonding company rules - well it was half true, we got a better rate because of these policies.

Today, I would have HD security cam(s) in all offices and small but obvious portable 2-way radios to be carried at all times when out of the office and on the clock. It is not just security theater - these things work.

Did I say that cash was not accepted. :)

Very few people outside of upper management knew I was carrying - concealed back then before the OC movement. Likely still would have CCd on the job given the business/customer environment. Did I ever unholster and make a presentation - yes, but that is another story for another time.

Last edited:

solus

grape, isn't that is why it is called concealed...and you're not the only one who surreptitiously carried w/o credentials before it became fashionable...

ispe

Difdi

It is really this simple: RCW says you have to accept it during business hours and accept specific forms of payment. KCSO does that at the Courthouse, obligation met, case closed. The idea of filing suit with the argument of trying to make them do something they already do is insane. They do more than they have to by law, what people really want is to make them do more even more over and above the already more than they have to do. I got a paycheck that says that is not going to happen.

By that standard, so long as you obey the law at home you would not have to elsewhere. This is plainly false.

Of course, if you have evidence proving me wrong, please cite it by all means. Note that the mere fact that someone breaks the law is not proof of legality.

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

When I was with a very large commercial and multi-family property management company, we did not accept cash for any reason in a rental office. Not for rent, security deposit, pet fee, etc. Payment accepted only by check or money order. If two bounced personal checks in any 12 month period, then only by money order (limited companies listed) or by certified bank draft. Any internal shortages were averted and we never had a robbery. When you opened the door, first thing you saw was a sign - NO CASH on premises - required at least two agents and never was a prospective tenent to be placed in an agents vehicle if they were not walking to the unit.

Private businesses can indeed refuse to accept cash for goods or services that you are purchasing now. But debt is another story. If the business lets you buy on credit, they cannot refuse legal tender as payment. A policy of not accepting cash does not alter this. Well, they CAN refuse to accept legal tender as payment of a debt, but doing so discharges the debt in the amount of the payment refused.

Statutes > Corporate Policy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
grape, isn't that is why it is called concealed...and you're not the only one who surreptitiously carried w/o credentials before it became fashionable...

ispe
Hmmm let me check to see if I said carried w/o a permit......nope didn't say that.

Seen a lot, been there n' done that in some cases - would be pleasant to sit around the campfire and chat into the night regularly. Done that with a very few close friends, just not often enough. With others, it just might fall into the category of "If I tell you, I'll have to s......."

Still going to save the story(s) for a more appropriate thread though.