Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia man and women suffer gunshot wounds when her Glock goes off...

Virginia man and women suffer gunshot wounds when her Glock goes off...

Police say a woman and her boyfriend were wounded when a gun in her purse discharged.

The incident occurred Saturday afternoon as the couple sat in a vehicle outside a residence in Bassett, Virginia.

Franklin County sheriff's Lt. Phillip Young says the bullet went through one of the man's hands and both of the woman's legs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lly-purse.html
    Another incident where a Glock took its frustration out on its owner(s).
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Lots of opportunities to be hating on tupperware and laughing at possible aspects of the behavior of the involved parties.

I want to know a) was the gun in the purse contained by a secure (in any way you want to define that so long as it keeps hold of the gun and keeps purse detritus out of the trigger area) holster? b) Was the secure holster (if it existed) in amongst the rest of the stuff in the purse or was it in a separate compartment?

This incident does not have the hallmarks of a booger hook/bang swithch interface episode. This may in fact be a time that the gun "went off".

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I have to admit, I'm warming up to my 10mm more all the time for a lot of reasons...but they shouldn't be carried by half the people who have them.
    Go to greentops and complain about no safety and you get a dog and pony show.

The simple fact is you have to have a holster that covers the trigger and be damn careful how you put it in. I'll bet she just had it in her purse unholstered.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-09-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I have to admit, I'm warming up to my 10mm more all the time for a lot of reasons...but they shouldn't be carried by half the people who have them.
    Go to greentops and complain about no safety and you get a dog and pony show.

The simple fact is you have to have a holster that covers the trigger and be damn careful how you put it in. I'll bet she just had it in her purse unholstered.
    Agree. Modern firearms do not just "go off" by themselves, the trigger has to be pulled. Just stuffing a pistol in a purse or a pocket does nothing to protect the trigger, especially considering the contents of most women's purses ... or men's pockets.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

I have something similar to the picture below that would most likely kept this from happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenGlockThing3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	12406

Quote Originally Posted by speed41ae View Post
    I have something similar to the picture below that would most likely kept this from happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenGlockThing3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	12406
    Regardless of how one may feel about apendix carry, we are all pretty much aware that there needs to be a violation of more than one of The Four Rules before things go all pear shaped. That little device makes it difficult to violate the rule about booger hook/bang switch interface.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Regardless of how one may feel about apendix carry, we are all pretty much aware that there needs to be a violation of more than one of The Four Rules before things go all pear shaped. That little device makes it difficult to violate the rule about booger hook/bang switch interface.

stay safe.
    It does leave little to the imagination where to tie that string though and darned if I want to practise my quick draw with it tethered properly.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Operator error.

Probably got their training from watching some two-bit online video.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Operator error.

Probably got their training from watching some two-bit online video.
    That's what I would expect from somebody that bought a glock, not much.

I know, there are those out there that love their plastic guns, but I am NOT one of them, especially the ones with no safety.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    That's what I would expect from somebody that bought a glock, not much.

I know, there are those out there that love their plastic guns, but I am NOT one of them, especially the ones with no safety.
    But .... But .... But it's got three safeties, not counting the one between the operator's ears.

I admit I do not like tupperware - of any brand. But that's a personal prefrence.

I have revolvers with a trigger pull less than the NY2 Glock trigger. A few with internal or shroouded hammers. So far I've managed to carry them around without them "going off" unless I did something intentional to make that happen.

Which brings me back to something related to the booger hook/bang switch interface. Could have been a lipstick tube, or car keys or anything else able to get into that space.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I never understood the irrational bias against plastics. What is it you don't like? My HK45 has become my favorite handgun I've ever used.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I never understood the irrational bias against plastics. What is it you don't like? My HK45 has become my favorite handgun I've ever used.
    In a hundred years it'll be dust but I have hundred year old guns I shoot.

In a hundred years it'll be dust but I have hundred year old guns I shoot.
    Plastic guns haven't been around for 100 years. Yet. And they're immune to termites.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

In a hundred years it'll be dust...
    I assume you have something to support that claim?

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I have the Glock sales rep to thank for my rational dislike of plastic guns, and the morons that sell them.

Never met a more incompetent and mentally deficient moron carrying a firearm.

I have the Glock sales rep to thank for my rational dislike of plastic guns, and the morons that sell them.

Never met a more incompetent and mentally deficient moron carrying a firearm.
    I wouldn't call dislike of an object based on your personal feeling toward the person carrying the object rational.

ETA. I don't think I've ever met a salesman I didn't dislike.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 03-10-2015 at 12:21 AM.

I wouldn't call dislike of an object based on your personal feeling toward the person carrying the object rational.

ETA. I don't think I've ever met a salesman I didn't dislike.
    That's okay, I wouldn't call purchasing a plastic gun, especially a glock, rational. So it seems about the same to me.

I had a plastic H&K that was issued to me that beat the glock hands down. To each their own. ;>)

Hey if someone doesn't like the feel of plastic, or they fear plastic isn't strong enough I can buy that. But your dislike of it based on the sales rep is weak sauce brah.

Hey if someone doesn't like the feel of plastic, or they fear plastic isn't strong enough I can buy that. But your dislike of it based on the sales rep is weak sauce brah.
    No hun, more about the constant stupid excuses used by glock plastic owners for the negligent discharges they seem to have.

Happens far too frequently, but based on my 1st experience with Glock products, I don't expect any better. And no, I don't fear plastic.

;>)

I have the Glock sales rep to thank for my rational dislike of plastic guns
    No hun, more about the constant stupid excuses used by glock plastic owners for the negligent discharges they seem to have.

Happens far too frequently, but based on my 1st experience with Glock products, I don't expect any better. And no, I don't fear plastic.

;>)
    okey dokey lol

I assume you have something to support that claim?
    Read it on the inner net by a fellow that played the bagpipes and had three wives
    ......so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    And they're immune to termites.
    So is steel and it doesn't melt in a hot car.

With nylon polymers having a 400+ degree melting point these hot summer days are a real concern. Especially with all the global warming going on.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    With nylon polymers having a 400+ degree melting point these hot summer days are a real concern. Especially with all the global warming going on.
    Think that depends on how close to the grill you place it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Twoskins....your trying to argue rational arguments while at least I, and I suspect others have our tongue firmly in cheek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast