Thread: Ohio's new laws

Ohio's new laws

I am from Pa and on occasion I travel into Ohio for various reasons. I have had no problems OCing. It is no fun having to load and un-load every time I get out of the car. I was told that Ohio has changed their laws and they now will honor my CC permit from Pa. Does any one have any info on that?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    I am from Pa and on occasion I travel into Ohio for various reasons. I have had no problems OCing. It is no fun having to load and un-load every time I get out of the car. I was told that Ohio has changed their laws and they now will honor my CC permit from Pa. Does any one have any info on that?
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/L...ity-Agreements
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

After March 23, Ohio's new law (Am. Sub. H.B. 234) takes effect. One of the provisions is that Ohio will now recognize a license from any state, even those we don't have a reciprocal agreement with, for nonresidents. So, as a PA resident with a PA license, OH will start recognizing it on March 23 and you will no longer need to disarm and store it when you enter a motor vehicle.

See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69v2 Section (B) (3):
    (3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 03-09-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    After March 23, Ohio's new law (Am. Sub. H.B. 234) takes effect. One of the provisions is that Ohio will now recognize a license from any state, even those we don't have a reciprocal agreement with, for nonresidents. So, as a PA resident with a PA license, OH will start recognizing it on March 23 and you will no longer need to disarm and store it when you enter a motor vehicle.
    ... as long as you don't take up residence in Ohio or stay more than six months. Even after March 23rd, there is no full reciprocity between Ohio and Pennsylvania, and given what I have heard about the Pennsylvania Attorney General, that doesn't appear likely to happen.

Going to Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post

See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69v2 Section (B) (3):
    It is now April I think I will go to Ohio now and enjoy the freedom I have here in Pa.