Thread: My interview with UNR Police

My interview with UNR Police

I had applied for UNR police several months ago, and recently I received a call back for an interview. I showed up for the interview in my nicest suit,and when the interviewer, Sgt. Baker came out, I informed her that i would be unable to interview because I thought I would be a bad fit due to their opposition to AB148. She politely acknowledged my stance and I went on my way.

I am already POST certified and would not have had them incur the cost of an academy. I could have definitely used that $20/hr job, but not at the cost of my principles working for a police chief with a different interpretation of the constitution.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    You blew a GREAT opportunity to serve.

First, if AB148 doesn't become law, you would have been in a position to discuss it from within, and possibly gain a change of heart from the administration.

Second, if it DOES pass, UNR will need cops who are willing to smooth the transition, rather than just a bunch of people who hate the idea and are looking for any chance to "get back" at supporters.

Third, you would have been a steadying influence for those who support it, but are in fear of the guys with guns who don't want anyone else to have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post

First, if AB148 doesn't become law, you would have been in a position to discuss it from within, and possibly gain a change of heart from the administration.

Second, if it DOES pass, UNR will need cops who are willing to smooth the transition, rather than just a bunch of people who hate the idea and are looking for any chance to "get back" at supporters.

Third, you would have been a steadying influence for those who support it, but are in fear of the guys with guns who don't want anyone else to have guns.
    Agreed.

What is AB148? (Yes, I know I can research it, but there are people from outside of Nevada whom it may be worthwhile to inform about the goings-on there)

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Agreed.

What is AB148? (Yes, I know I can research it, but there are people from outside of Nevada whom it may be worthwhile to inform about the goings-on there)
    Campus carry

I see where you're coming from, but having been a cop before, i can say that new people that enter a very small department with their own opinions don't last long. This tactic preserves my resume while getting the point across to the chief that people are willing to not work for him if he isn't willing to defend the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    Police officers defend the Constitution? --Mod edited per rules--.
    I do! Too bad I'm sans police work as I'm working on my 2nd degree. Maybe I'll run for sheriff down there someday! Washoe just got a bone thrown to them with Chuck Allen. Funny how he supports campus carry but not OC in his own office though. I'd still work for him, he's a nice guy that responds to emails. I'm tired of working for free though and thats all he wants right now.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-09-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    I do! Too bad I'm sans police work as I'm working on my 2nd degree. Maybe I'll run for sheriff down there someday! Washoe just got a bone thrown to them with Chuck Allen. Funny how he supports campus carry but not OC in his own office though. I'd still work for him, he's a nice guy that responds to emails. I'm tired of working for free though and thats all he wants right now.
    Heck, if you're looking to put your POST to use, you should apply for Lyon County! They always seem to be short staffed.

Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    Heck, if you're looking to put your POST to use, you should apply for Lyon County! They always seem to be short staffed.
    Now that would be fun. It looks like they do have openings. My parents live in Fernley, but even if I get stuck in the jail in Yerington for the first year or two my girl and I could be a couple hours closer to SoCal where her parents live. I'll drop an app and let you all know how it goes. I would require a different POST though for that job since I'm reserve and full time jobs need a Cat I POST. There is no bridge program @_@ Oh well, more training hours and range time! I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :-P

Good for you for standing up for your principals. I'm very reluctant to get back into LE or government work because I don't want to have to compromise my principles or worry about retaliation because I open carry.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

Now that would be fun. It looks like they do have openings. My parents live in Fernley, but even if I get stuck in the jail in Yerington for the first year or two my girl and I could be a couple hours closer to SoCal where her parents live. I'll drop an app and let you all know how it goes. I would require a different POST though for that job since I'm reserve and full time jobs need a Cat I POST. There is no bridge program @_@ Oh well, more training hours and range time! I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :-P
    Lol well, one of perks of an LCSO position (so I've heard) is the extremely close proximity to the best shooting facility in the area. I've only seen it from the gate and Google Earth.

I have yet to be TASERed, but I remember well the OC training I had to do many moons ago just to carry as a Flashlight Cop. They used the "You have to know how it feels" line on me too.

... I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :-P
    I'd rather be able to testify that I was smart enough not to get sprayed or Tased in class. I am against Taser usage anyway in normal deployments.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Good job standing on your principals. If you are willing to shuck them off just to get in the door one can only imagine what you would "Shuck" to stay there.

I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :-P
    I had to go through it twice, on the same day. The first was getting hit with the liquid form, and then we had to walk through the cloud form from riot tear gas canisters. We didn't have TASERS back in the old days (1985), so I didn't have to "testify" to what they felt like.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Good job standing on your principals. If you are willing to shuck them off just to get in the door one can only imagine what you would "Shuck" to stay there.
    It's not nice to stand on one's principals - the school board may get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    It's not nice to stand on one's principals - the school board may get upset.
    Who cares about the school "board". If they complain just make them walk the "plank".
    Last edited by ed2276; 03-10-2015 at 05:30 PM.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    Who cares about the school "board". If they complain just make them walk the "plank".
    Arrrr you serious?

Arrrr you serious?
    ayyyyyye.