• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My interview with UNR Police

rickyray9

I had applied for UNR police several months ago, and recently I received a call back for an interview. I showed up for the interview in my nicest suit,and when the interviewer, Sgt. Baker came out, I informed her that i would be unable to interview because I thought I would be a bad fit due to their opposition to AB148. She politely acknowledged my stance and I went on my way.

I am already POST certified and would not have had them incur the cost of an academy. I could have definitely used that $20/hr job, but not at the cost of my principles working for a police chief with a different interpretation of the constitution.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
You blew a GREAT opportunity to serve.

First, if AB148 doesn't become law, you would have been in a position to discuss it from within, and possibly gain a change of heart from the administration.

Second, if it DOES pass, UNR will need cops who are willing to smooth the transition, rather than just a bunch of people who hate the idea and are looking for any chance to "get back" at supporters.

Third, you would have been a steadying influence for those who support it, but are in fear of the guys with guns who don't want anyone else to have guns.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

First, if AB148 doesn't become law, you would have been in a position to discuss it from within, and possibly gain a change of heart from the administration.

Second, if it DOES pass, UNR will need cops who are willing to smooth the transition, rather than just a bunch of people who hate the idea and are looking for any chance to "get back" at supporters.

Third, you would have been a steadying influence for those who support it, but are in fear of the guys with guns who don't want anyone else to have guns.
Agreed.

What is AB148? (Yes, I know I can research it, but there are people from outside of Nevada whom it may be worthwhile to inform about the goings-on there)

rickyray9

Agreed.

What is AB148? (Yes, I know I can research it, but there are people from outside of Nevada whom it may be worthwhile to inform about the goings-on there)
Campus carry

I see where you're coming from, but having been a cop before, i can say that new people that enter a very small department with their own opinions don't last long. This tactic preserves my resume while getting the point across to the chief that people are willing to not work for him if he isn't willing to defend the constitution.

rickyray9

Police officers defend the Constitution? --Mod edited per rules--.

I do! Too bad I'm sans police work as I'm working on my 2nd degree. Maybe I'll run for sheriff down there someday! Washoe just got a bone thrown to them with Chuck Allen. Funny how he supports campus carry but not OC in his own office though. I'd still work for him, he's a nice guy that responds to emails. I'm tired of working for free though and thats all he wants right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

b0neZ

I do! Too bad I'm sans police work as I'm working on my 2nd degree. Maybe I'll run for sheriff down there someday! Washoe just got a bone thrown to them with Chuck Allen. Funny how he supports campus carry but not OC in his own office though. I'd still work for him, he's a nice guy that responds to emails. I'm tired of working for free though and thats all he wants right now.

Heck, if you're looking to put your POST to use, you should apply for Lyon County! They always seem to be short staffed.

rickyray9

Heck, if you're looking to put your POST to use, you should apply for Lyon County! They always seem to be short staffed.

Now that would be fun. It looks like they do have openings. My parents live in Fernley, but even if I get stuck in the jail in Yerington for the first year or two my girl and I could be a couple hours closer to SoCal where her parents live. I'll drop an app and let you all know how it goes. I would require a different POST though for that job since I'm reserve and full time jobs need a Cat I POST. There is no bridge program @_@ Oh well, more training hours and range time! I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :p

garand_guy

Good for you for standing up for your principals. I'm very reluctant to get back into LE or government work because I don't want to have to compromise my principles or worry about retaliation because I open carry.

b0neZ

Now that would be fun. It looks like they do have openings. My parents live in Fernley, but even if I get stuck in the jail in Yerington for the first year or two my girl and I could be a couple hours closer to SoCal where her parents live. I'll drop an app and let you all know how it goes. I would require a different POST though for that job since I'm reserve and full time jobs need a Cat I POST. There is no bridge program @_@ Oh well, more training hours and range time! I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :p

Lol well, one of perks of an LCSO position (so I've heard) is the extremely close proximity to the best shooting facility in the area. I've only seen it from the gate and Google Earth.

I have yet to be TASERed, but I remember well the OC training I had to do many moons ago just to carry as a Flashlight Cop. They used the "You have to know how it feels" line on me too.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :p

I'd rather be able to testify that I was smart enough not to get sprayed or Tased in class. I am against Taser usage anyway in normal deployments.

ed2276

I won't let them OC Spray and TASER again though. The "You have to know how it feels to be able to testify about it in court" only works once :p

I had to go through it twice, on the same day. The first was getting hit with the liquid form, and then we had to walk through the cloud form from riot tear gas canisters. We didn't have TASERS back in the old days (1985), so I didn't have to "testify" to what they felt like.