Thread: Hipsters' Paradox, they all conform, explained. Are OCers leading the way?

Hipsters' Paradox, they all conform, explained. Are OCers leading the way?

Math model helps explain how conformity works A pair of anthropologists has come up with a math model to help better understand individual conformity and how it relates to groups and societies as a whole. In their paper published in Royal Society Open Science, Paul Smaldino and Joshua Epstein with Johns Hopkins University describe the mathematical model they created to help show why it is that so often those who attempt to look or behave differently, wind up looking or behaving the same as others—the so-called hipster paradox

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-math-conformity.html

Social Conformity Despite Individual Preferences for Distinctiveness, Paul E. Smaldino, Joshua M. Epstein
    (Submitted on 29 Jul 2014 (v1), last revised 11 Feb 2015 (this version, v3))

We demonstrate that individual behaviors directed at the attainment of distinctiveness can in fact produce complete social conformity. We thus offer an unexpected generative mechanism for this central social phenomenon. Specifically, we establish that agents who have fixed needs to be distinct and adapt their positions to achieve distinctiveness goals, can nevertheless self-organize to a limiting state of absolute conformity. This seemingly paradoxical result is deduced formally from a small number of natural assumptions, and is then explored at length computationally. Interesting departures from this conformity equilibrium are also possible, including divergence in positions. The effect of extremist minorities on these dynamics is discussed. A simple extension is then introduced, which allows the model to generate and maintain social diversity, including multimodal distinctiveness distributions. The paper contributes formal definitions, analytical deductions, and counterintuitive findings to the literature on individual distinctiveness and social conformity.

Free full text http://arxiv-web1.library.cornell.edu/pdf/1407.7908v3
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Voodoo bush-league psych-out stuff.

If their "math model" is true then would we not all be pot smoking hipsters... if you live in CO?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Voodoo bush-league psych-out stuff.

If their "math model" is true then would we not all be pot smoking hipsters... if you live in CO?
    Soon, soon, wait a bit. The time increments' value was not specified, but only compared to deviations. See the very informative and effective Figure 1.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-11-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Soon, soon, wait a bit. The time increments' value was not specified, but only compared to deviations. See the very informative and effective Figure 1.
    Time increments?

Einstein will be proven wrong, eventually, no? So, why not toss his theories now and be done with it.

We just found a sponge fossil that is claimed to have lived 600 million years ago...doesn't mean that man popped onto the scene 100 millions years earlier than previously thought.

Voodoo bush-league psych-out stuff...nothing more/nothing less. I foot the bill for their "study?"
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare