View Poll Results: Are recoil buffers for pistols worth the $10 cost?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

0 0%
  • Meh

1 20.00%
  • No way

0 0%
  • I have no clue

4 80.00%

Thread: Recoil Buffers - Hype or Help?

Recoil Buffers - Hype or Help?

Specifically, I'm talking about this item.

The claim: "The CZ recoil buffer will eliminate the metal to metal impact of the slide on the receiver each time the weapon is fired."

Has anyone used these? If so, would you please share you experience, be it good or bad?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I have never used them, they have been around for years for 1911's. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the spring may be too long using one, and they used to have a short life when they were made out of plastic. With the modern polymers they probably last longer, personally if I went that route it would be with a Wolff spring in a stiffer weight. I have one in my Star Super A, and it has very very mild recoil even though it is pushing 115 grain bullets at 1200 fps. Get the spring kit and you will get several weights, so you can tailor to the loads.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

They cause failures to cycle in my Kimber 1911, so I've not bothered trying to put them into anything else. The engineers at the factory seem to have done a pretty good job at building a pistol that runs as is for as long as you'll ever need it.

Start playing around with consumable buffers and you've put a big factor into your maintenance/reliability regimen.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

No one has ever gone broke over estimating the credulousness of gun/accessory buyers.

My H&K has an OEM installed plastic recoil buffer. MY SA1911A1 does not.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ...My H&K has an OEM installed plastic recoil buffer...
    Is there a replacement schedule in the manual?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Is there a replacement schedule in the manual?
    Not that I recall.

To reduce the length of the slide and barrel on the USP Compact, the mechanical recoil reduction system found on large frame USPs has been replaced by a specially designed flat compression spring contained in the captive recoil spring assembly by a polymer absorber bushing. Service life is still engineered to exceed 20,000 rounds.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have never used them, they have been around for years for 1911's. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the spring may be too long using one, and they used to have a short life when they were made out of plastic. With the modern polymers they probably last longer, personally if I went that route it would be with a Wolff spring in a stiffer weight. I have one in my Star Super A, and it has very very mild recoil even though it is pushing 115 grain bullets at 1200 fps. Get the spring kit and you will get several weights, so you can tailor to the loads.
    Thanks, WalkingWolf. I appreciate your thoughtful response and the amplifying details.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.