• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recoil Buffers - Hype or Help?

Are recoil buffers for pistols worth the $10 cost?

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no clue

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

since9

Campaign Veteran
Specifically, I'm talking about this item.

The claim: "The CZ recoil buffer will eliminate the metal to metal impact of the slide on the receiver each time the weapon is fired."

Has anyone used these? If so, would you please share you experience, be it good or bad?

WalkingWolf

I have never used them, they have been around for years for 1911's. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the spring may be too long using one, and they used to have a short life when they were made out of plastic. With the modern polymers they probably last longer, personally if I went that route it would be with a Wolff spring in a stiffer weight. I have one in my Star Super A, and it has very very mild recoil even though it is pushing 115 grain bullets at 1200 fps. Get the spring kit and you will get several weights, so you can tailor to the loads.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They cause failures to cycle in my Kimber 1911, so I've not bothered trying to put them into anything else. The engineers at the factory seem to have done a pretty good job at building a pistol that runs as is for as long as you'll ever need it.

Start playing around with consumable buffers and you've put a big factor into your maintenance/reliability regimen.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have never used them, they have been around for years for 1911's. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the spring may be too long using one, and they used to have a short life when they were made out of plastic. With the modern polymers they probably last longer, personally if I went that route it would be with a Wolff spring in a stiffer weight. I have one in my Star Super A, and it has very very mild recoil even though it is pushing 115 grain bullets at 1200 fps. Get the spring kit and you will get several weights, so you can tailor to the loads.

Thanks, WalkingWolf. I appreciate your thoughtful response and the amplifying details.