Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for restaurant/bar along I-81 to watch sports on Friday night that allows OC

Looking for restaurant/bar along I-81 to watch sports on Friday night that allows OC

Hi folks,

I'll be heading down I-81 Friday afternoon/evening and was hoping to catch one or more NCAA basketball games on TV, so I'm hoping there's a place to do that ... somewhere from Harrisonburg down to Blacksburg/Christiansburg.

I know that Buffalo Wild Wings is not gun-friendly, so I was wondering if folks know of any other places I could go. I'm not going to consume alcohol, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any suggestions?

- Chip

Founder's Club Member
    I have carried openly at the Applebee's and the Ruby Tuesday in Lexington on a few occasions in previous years. I don't have much experience in the areas where you're mentioning though.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    There are no bars in Virginia so that won't be a concern for you.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    There are no bars in Virginia so that won't be a concern for you.
    Took the words right outta my mouth!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Saying "there are no bars in Virginia" does not help me find a place to watch an NCAA basketball game while open carrying. But thanks, I guess.

(And thanks to jmelvin, who actually tried to help.)

Quote Originally Posted by mdak06 View Post
    Saying "there are no bars in Virginia" does not help me find a place to watch an NCAA basketball game while open carrying. But thanks, I guess.

(And thanks to jmelvin, who actually tried to help.)
    Sorry for the inconvenience; it's a statewide thing. We really do wish you well in your quest for a place to watch the game(s) of your choice and we also welcome you to our commonwealth. Hope you have a very pleasant trip and stay here in Virginia.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Some people want to be a state-specific word lawyer, even when they aren't in the courtroom. They don't need to be helpful; they just need [you] to be as correct as if you were in court and bound to the terms of definitions of state law. Never mind that you actually also said "restaurant."

I've been to Virginia several times, and went to a bar every time. I don't care what a lawyer calls it, or what they have to call it on their business license. It was a bar. I've been to lots of bars, I know what they look like.

These are the same guys that correct you if you dare call Virginia a "state" in casual conversation.

There's common language, and then there are legal specifics. We don't always want the latter, but it's all some people have for contribution, and God help us if they didn't contribute. I'll bet not a single Virginian has a "gun" or a "car" either.

That said, I can't help, either, unless you are willing to come a LONG way off the 81. But I know lots of OC-friendly bars, taverns, pubs, restaurants, saloons, speakeasies...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Some people want to be a state-specific word lawyer, even when they aren't in the courtroom. They don't need to be helpful; they just need [you] to be as correct as if you were in court and bound to the terms of definitions of state law. Never mind that you actually also said "restaurant."

I've been to Virginia several times, and went to a bar every time. I don't care what a lawyer calls it, or what they have to call it on their business license. It was a bar. I've been to lots of bars, I know what they look like.

These are the same guys that correct you if you dare call Virginia a "state" in casual conversation.

There's common language, and then there are legal specifics. We don't always want the latter, but it's all some people have for contribution, and God help us if they didn't contribute. I'll bet not a single Virginian has a "gun" or a "car" either.

That said, I can't help, either, unless you are willing to come a LONG way off the 81. But I know lots of OC-friendly bars, taverns, pubs, restaurants, saloons, speakeasies...
    Look sport. Nothing on my part was meant to be nasty or an a--hat answer to our visiting gentleman and I believe I can say the same thing for ProShooter. We mention the fact that there are no bars in our state because; 1) there aren't and 2) it is a rather strange thing to folks from other parts of the country. A state with no bars? How does that work.... that kind of thing.

No harm meant or done as far as I can see.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    To answer the OP's question....sort of. Take your pick as to the type of food you may desire.

Virginia restaurants are by and large gun friendly or at the least gun neutral. Very few have gun buster signs.

The reason for our distinction bar vs restaurant is somewhat important. Bars tend to be watering holes devoted solely to the flow of alcohol; whereas a restaurant here must derive a substantial amount of their income from food.
    https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...00+cod+4.1-210
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Look sport. Nothing on my part was meant to be nasty or an a--hat answer to our visiting gentleman and I believe I can say the same thing for ProShooter. We mention the fact that there are no bars in our state because; 1) there aren't and 2) it is a rather strange thing to folks from other parts of the country. A state with no bars? How does that work.... that kind of thing.

No harm meant or done as far as I can see.
    Take it easy, Tiger. You are confusing harmful with useless. No one accused your post of the former.

I'm sure every Virginian tells each other to meet at that "counter in the restaurant where they serve the alcohol and have the sports on the TV right above you. You know, the one with the dedicated waitress that just serves the drinks for the counter." No one cares what word is on the business license, except the lawyers, and that includes the people that built, own, and run the place, as there are a LOT of places that call themselves bars in Virginia.

http://www.unionstationdowntown.com/site/

I'm glad I didn't ask what bars to go to when I was in Virginia. I'd have died of thirst while practicing for a bar exam instead. Believe it or not, I'm trying to be friendly in my observations. And I damn well better have gotten a laugh for that last one.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-13-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Take it easy, Tiger. You are confusing harmful with useless. No one accused your post of the former.

I'm sure every Virginian tells each other to meet at that "counter in the restaurant where they serve the alcohol and have the sports on the TV right above you. You know, the one with the dedicated waitress that just serves the drinks for the counter." No one cares what word is on the business license, except the lawyers, and that includes the people that built, own, and run the place, as there are a LOT of places that call themselves bars in Virginia.

I'm glad I didn't ask what bars to go to when I was in Virginia. I'd have died of thirst while practicing for a bar exam instead. Believe it or not, I'm trying to be friendly in my observations. And I damn well better have gotten a laugh for that last one.
    Just out of curiousity, why is this the battle you choose to fight? What is your beef with Virginia/Virginians?

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    Just out of curiousity, why is this the battle you choose to fight? What is your beef with Virginia/Virginians?

Maybe he had planned to open a liquor store here in VA a few years ago when the commonwealth was considering getting out of the retail liquor business. Just sour grapes I guess.
    Open carry lets you tote a bigger gun.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Most any bar along 81 allows oc as long as you remove the clip or have a VA CWP.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-15-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Reading is fundamental.

Reading is fundamental.
    As you said, "no one cares what word" or words. Or do they?

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

And yet, the very link you posted as an example of establishments that call themselves a "Bar" is, in fact, named the Union Station Restaurant and Bar. This is in keeping with the fact that restaurants may sell alcoholic beverages at a Bar internal to their eating establishment, but their main source of revenue must be the food they serve. I know what Bars are like, having grown up in Baltimore. There were Bars on just about every corner in the urban area, where the same sots occupied the same stools every day, drowning their sorrows. I don't see that here in Virginia.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    And yet, the very link you posted as an example of establishments that call themselves a "Bar" is, in fact, named the Union Station Restaurant and Bar. This is in keeping with the fact that restaurants may sell alcoholic beverages at a Bar internal to their eating establishment, but their main source of revenue must be the food they serve. I know what Bars are like, having grown up in Baltimore. There were Bars on just about every corner in the urban area, where the same sots occupied the same stools every day, drowning their sorrows. I don't see that here in Virginia.
    Nice catch James - guess I should have looked at the link.

Balto. City College and Johns Hopkins alumnus here, so I can confirm whereof you speak. Best crab cakes on the east coast were to be had on Greenmount Avenue
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-17-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nice catch James - guess I should have looked at the link.

Balto. City College and Johns Hopkins alumnus here, so I can confirm whereof you speak. Best crab cakes on the east coast were to be had on Greenmount Avenue
    Grape: PM Sent
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    where the same sots occupied the same stools every day, drowning their sorrows. I don't see that here in Virginia.
    You need to get out more...

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    You need to get out more...

Roscoe
    If your experience regularly includes what he described, perhaps you need to get out less!

This is a great example of why I personally no longer frequent this forum like I once did. People have honest and sincere questions and the know it all's have to make snarky comments about grammer or technicalities all while typically not answering the actual question.

When I first started posting here there would be a new thread every 15 minutes. But the posts quickly ended up just like this. I think a lot of regulars got tired of it and new people just saw no point in posting. If you have a question as a newbie you are chastized for not already knowing the answer and/or not first tying to use the useless search function on this page.

Now there is rarely a new post. I check once a week or so and there just doesn't seem to be nearly the activity that there once was.....
    Last edited by richarcm; 03-27-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richarcm View Post
    This is a great example of why I personally no longer frequent this forum like I once did. People have honest and sincere questions and the know it all's have to make snarky comments about grammer or technicalities all while typically not answering the actual question.

When I first started posting here there would be a new thread every 15 minutes. But the posts quickly ended up just like this. I think a lot of regulars got tired of it and new people just saw no point in posting. If you have a question as a newbie you are chastized for not already knowing the answer and/or not first tying to use the useless search function on this page.

Now there is rarely a new post. I check once a week or so and there just doesn't seem to be nearly the activity that there once was.....
    Aint it the truth! This place has become like the FacePage of open carriers. Just a bunch of guys sitting around, hunched over their keyboards, having long and tedious conversations and make someone take some time and put in some effort before they are considered "one of the gang".

And yet folks are always welcome to come sit up on the porch - just don't spit on any of the dogs and be sure to go use the little house around back if you need to do that stuff. Show up often enough and we might remember your name. Show up even more often and we might ask after you if you are gone for a while.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less whether anyone knows who i am. My concern is not with myself but welcoming new people and answering his/her questions rather than throwing snark in everyone's faces. The person who posted this thread had a specific question. Instead of HELPING people feel a greater need to criticize some technicality.

New posters/registrants are invariably welcomed to the forum, their questions answered with a minimum of "we've been there before."

Some people in reading these threads will too often find fault with the responses because it is not how they would answer - they fault others for not fitting their predetermined mold. We are by and large good people, willing to help others and make suggestions or offer clarification to the benefit of all.

Quote Originally Posted by richarcm View Post
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less whether anyone knows who i am. My concern is not with myself but welcoming new people and answering his/her questions rather than throwing snark in everyone's faces. The person who posted this thread had a specific question. Instead of HELPING people feel a greater need to criticize some technicality.
    Well I'm just glad you jumped in and answered his question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast