• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for restaurant/bar along I-81 to watch sports on Friday night that allows OC

richarcm

This is a great example of why I personally no longer frequent this forum like I once did. People have honest and sincere questions and the know it all's have to make snarky comments about grammer or technicalities all while typically not answering the actual question.

When I first started posting here there would be a new thread every 15 minutes. But the posts quickly ended up just like this. I think a lot of regulars got tired of it and new people just saw no point in posting. If you have a question as a newbie you are chastized for not already knowing the answer and/or not first tying to use the useless search function on this page.

Now there is rarely a new post. I check once a week or so and there just doesn't seem to be nearly the activity that there once was.....

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is a great example of why I personally no longer frequent this forum like I once did. People have honest and sincere questions and the know it all's have to make snarky comments about grammer or technicalities all while typically not answering the actual question.

When I first started posting here there would be a new thread every 15 minutes. But the posts quickly ended up just like this. I think a lot of regulars got tired of it and new people just saw no point in posting. If you have a question as a newbie you are chastized for not already knowing the answer and/or not first tying to use the useless search function on this page.

Now there is rarely a new post. I check once a week or so and there just doesn't seem to be nearly the activity that there once was.....

Aint it the truth! This place has become like the FacePage of open carriers. Just a bunch of guys sitting around, hunched over their keyboards, having long and tedious conversations and make someone take some time and put in some effort before they are considered "one of the gang".

And yet folks are always welcome to come sit up on the porch - just don't spit on any of the dogs and be sure to go use the little house around back if you need to do that stuff. Show up often enough and we might remember your name. Show up even more often and we might ask after you if you are gone for a while.

stay safe.

richarcm

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less whether anyone knows who i am. My concern is not with myself but welcoming new people and answering his/her questions rather than throwing snark in everyone's faces. The person who posted this thread had a specific question. Instead of HELPING people feel a greater need to criticize some technicality.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
New posters/registrants are invariably welcomed to the forum, their questions answered with a minimum of "we've been there before."

Some people in reading these threads will too often find fault with the responses because it is not how they would answer - they fault others for not fitting their predetermined mold. We are by and large good people, willing to help others and make suggestions or offer clarification to the benefit of all.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less whether anyone knows who i am. My concern is not with myself but welcoming new people and answering his/her questions rather than throwing snark in everyone's faces. The person who posted this thread had a specific question. Instead of HELPING people feel a greater need to criticize some technicality.

Well I'm just glad you jumped in and answered his question.:lol:

solus

i do wonder how that chip manages to get down that wittle bitty piece of wire....not sure Al Gore anticipated such antics...

btw, in the same vein, i am glad at least one of your goals have been met out here as i personally don't care who you are either ~~ as long as you have something to contribute and if you visited more regularly, you could be 'johnny-on-spot' HELPING welcoming and answering newbie's questions.

tho always remember if you do not ask the right question you won't get the right answer!! so sometimes, just sometimes, a responder needs to discern the actual quest the newbie is on.

which leads to a sincere query back to you...did that HELP answer your specific question?

thought so, glad to help ya'l out and look for ya'l smile in another week or so...

ipse

grape i take exception to the 'by and large' comment...it is impolite to discuss readers orientation as well as their girth and other physical abnormalities!!

Last edited:

OC for ME

Hi folks,

I'll be heading down I-81 Friday afternoon/evening and was hoping to catch one or more NCAA basketball games on TV, so I'm hoping there's a place to do that ... somewhere from Harrisonburg down to Blacksburg/Christiansburg.

I know that Buffalo Wild Wings is not gun-friendly, so I was wondering if folks know of any other places I could go. I'm not going to consume alcohol, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any suggestions?

- Chip
Try this site. Lists some bars in Blacksburg. Never been there myself, VA is a little too yankee for me.;)

http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-bars-in-Blacksburg-VA

HPmatt

Like Jmelvin mentioned Lexington has a bunch of restaurants w TVs, also Pure Eats for burgers, Berkys truck stop, and Palm Restaurant should be ok for OC. Palm sells beer by pitcher too, and in my opinion w/b considered and archaic VA term - an 'ordinary'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk