• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Car Carry Oregon

Jeffrey1109

I know you can open carry in Oregon unless you are in Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence. I live inside Washington County and they allow open carry. Does this also include open car carry? What are the off limit "public places"? I keep my handgun holstered on my right side, can that create issues because the officer cant see it? Of course I'd inform them if I were to be pulled over, that'd be the first thing I say. Just trying to get an overall view on this law.

Last edited:

SteveM

You can open carry in the locations that you listed plus Multnomah County, you just need a CHL to do so with a loaded firearm. The definition of "loaded" is not given in the ORS that gives this power to counties and cities so they've made up their own and rest assured it is as extreme as possible and you have to empty the magazines too.

Unfortunately this law has been interpreted by some very anti-gun judges in Multnomah County which has resulted in case law that says that your car is a "public place". As is your front yard, front porch, or anywhere not enclosed by a fence. Other public places are obvious, public property and businesses open to the public. Pretty much anywhere not in a private residence or its fenced backyard.

Oregon law says if you are in a public building you must allow an officer to inspect your firearm to see if it is loaded or you'll be arrested. Otherwise your 4th amendment right says that the police cannot stop you simply for carrying a firearm down the street. If you get pulled over for speeding now you're fair game and better have that CHL or an empty gat.

If you get pulled over the Washington County Sheriff asks that you pass over your DL and CHL together. If you don't have a CHL to pass over it you might want to keep mum on the issue unless you are asked.

Last edited:

acmariner99

I've traveled through Oregon several times. The statute as I understand it requires a firearm to be stored or carried "in plain sight or not readily accessible." As I traveled without a CHL, I placed the firearm in the rest and/or a holster between the driver and passenger seats, that way there wouldn't be any ambiguity whether the firearm was visible or not. I also avoided the Portland metro area on my route so I didn't have to unload.

Maverick9

You can open carry in the locations that you listed plus Multnomah County, you just need a CHL to do so with a loaded firearm. The definition of "loaded" is not given in the ORS that gives this power to counties and cities so they've made up their own and rest assured it is as extreme as possible and you have to empty the magazines too.

Unfortunately this law has been interpreted by some very anti-gun judges in Multnomah County which has resulted in case law that says that your car is a "public place".

Nice to know you can take a nap in any Judge's car with the windows down in Multnomah Co.!

(makes note to self)

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Outside of Portland and the other named areas, just leave it on your hip and you are OK.

166.250 Unlawful Possession of Firearms.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or
166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

Last edited: