• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unlicensed Open Carry Bill Defeated

Fallguy

I have been disappointed in the Tennessee Legeslature for a long time, but even more so since Republicans controlled both chambers and the Governor's office. Guess maybe I just expected too much.

hjon71

I really am disappointed by this. But just like the rest of you, not surprised. I wrote emails to my Representatives and got no response. Maybe another email with a more stern tone is in order. If we disagree, fine. But don't ignore me.

77zach

Looks as if the unlicensed open carry bill has been defeated for now. I find it hard to believe that a Republican supermajority can't pass even a simple pro-gun bill. It causes one to wonder whether they're truly pro 2nd amendment.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/state/bid-to-end-tennessee-carry-permit-requirement-fails-in-house

LOL. No need to wonder. Republicans are generally anti 2nd amendment. Democrats are almost always rabidly anti 2nd amendment. At least you have permitted OC. In Florida we have nothing and we have a completely red legislature.

HPmatt

Time to elect more conservative Republicans. Try it - you'll like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rightwinglibertarian

passing a law to say you're allowed to do what the Constitution already gives you the right do do. How far America has fallen. If the founding fathers had been anything like modern day activists and 2nd amendment 'supporters' the American Revolution would never have taken place

Ken56

Plain and simple it hurts the revenue stream too badly to ditch the permit system. I mean, why just go after those who would be willing to get a permit to carry and let a small group who would openly carry get off without paying a penny. TN now has unpermitted vehicle carry but don't take it out of the vehicle. So much for self defense when you're out of your car. I believe this was done to appease the visitors to Nashville, Memphis, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and all the other good folks who visit the national park.

Haslam is a RINO as are most of the other legislators who call themselves conservatives. I can agree that both parties are essentially the same when it comes to 2A. Electing more conservative legislators who would expand on our 2A rights ( I know, shouldn't have to do this as its spelled out in the constitution) is a pipe dream if we continue to be bound to the status quo, Dems and repubs.

Last edited:

hjon71

So I have emailed back and forth with my State Rep.(Leigh Wilburn-R) and she seems onboard with the 2A movement. My State Senator(Delores Gresham-R) still hasn't bothered to respond at all:confused:

Kopis

Plain and simple it hurts the revenue stream too badly to ditch the permit system. I mean, why just go after those who would be willing to get a permit to carry and let a small group who would openly carry get off without paying a penny. TN now has unpermitted vehicle carry but don't take it out of the vehicle. So much for self defense when you're out of your car. I believe this was done to appease the visitors to Nashville, Memphis, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and all the other good folks who visit the national park.

Haslam is a RINO as are most of the other legislators who call themselves conservatives. I can agree that both parties are essentially the same when it comes to 2A. Electing more conservative legislators who would expand on our 2A rights ( I know, shouldn't have to do this as its spelled out in the constitution) is a pipe dream if we continue to be bound to the status quo, Dems and repubs.

I dont know, i mean i would still get a permit for out of state travel. Of course you are dead on about haslam.