• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new guy in Jacksonville

jvilleoc

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while, so I figured it was time to introduce myself. I live in the Jacksonville area. Years ago I worked at the kangaroo on the corner of 17 and piney green and saw a few people OCing while I was there. It was always a welcome sight as I worked the graveyard shift and had several sketchy incidents take place.

Anyway, fast forward to the present, currently waiting on my PPP so I can pick up a nice pistol and hit the range. I'm going to be OCing, I was wondering how may others OC in Jacksonville? Also, where are the decent priced ranges, if any? I haven't fired many pistols, most of my firearm experience has been in the army so mostly rifles and crew served weapons. Looking forward to hear from you all.

solus

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while, so I figured it was time to introduce myself. I live in the Jacksonville area. Years ago I worked at the kangaroo on the corner of 17 and piney green and saw a few people OCing while I was there. It was always a welcome sight as I worked the graveyard shift and had several sketchy incidents take place.

Anyway, fast forward to the present, currently waiting on my PPP so I can pick up a nice pistol and hit the range. I'm going to be OCing, I was wondering how may others OC in Jacksonville? Also, where are the decent priced ranges, if any? I haven't fired many pistols, most of my firearm experience has been in the army so mostly rifles and crew served weapons. Looking forward to hear from you all.

welcome to the forum...you would do well to visit and try hand fitting and renting & shooting those that fit your hand well from a big box store then checking out BUDs as in most cases they are cheeper than what dealers pay.

since you have been lurking for a bit, you know the links to the NC AG's & statutes site so i won't bore you with those.

again welcome and keep contributing...

ipse

bc.cruiser

Welcome to OCDO.

This one is about 20 minutes from Havelock: I don't remember the rates(as a group we paid $20), but there are plenty of Marines that go there, and at least one works there as an RO. You can find it on Google Maps. They have 4 open bays, skeet/trap across the road, several 25-50 yard covered lanes, 100-400(longer?)yds lanes, and allow NFA weapons with paperwork (and if it's something they haven't fired, a trial shot LOL).

Adams Creek Gun Sports
3230 Adams Creek Rd
Havelock, NC 28532

34.903431, -76.722862

Here's a good resource for finding ranges: http://www.shooting.org/

Last edited:

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

Welcome New GUY

Hi here are 2 shooting ranges in our back door

Sportsman's Lodge
Address: 3521 New Bern Hwy, Jacksonville, NC 28546
Phone:(910) 937-6334 (INDOOR RANGE and paintball)

Flatwoods Outfitters
111 2nd Amendment Ln, Hubert, NC 28539 (OUTDOOR RANGE)

I open & conceal carry both however i prefer concealed.. If you ever want to chew the fat or plain good company send me a PM.. Available most of the time and again welcome.

draksig

Hello from New Bern! I know people who go to Sportsman's Lodge and hear good things. I plan on trying it out soon myself. Recently bought my first Semi (9mm) and will soon take the CCW class and NRA pistol course.

HPmatt

Hey gents - I am going to be driving from Arlington VA back to Dallas last week of July and had a few days to swing through either Manteo or New Bern. Got any thoughts? Have not been down that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

Hey gents - I am going to be driving from Arlington VA back to Dallas last week of July and had a few days to swing through either Manteo or New Bern. Got any thoughts? Have not been down that way.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my vote is NB...http://www.new-bern.nc.us/HistoryNB/ on the way to Atlanta beach bout 60 minutes away http://www.atlanticbeach-nc.com/

tyron palace and the museum are a most, then drive slowly up and down the streets looking at the colonial architecture. but hey i just enjoy the private bar on the beach (as you are in the parking lot, look towards the water hold your left hand straight out from your side and you will find the unmarked bar...good group of ppl but it is private so you have tellum yur a outofstater and want to be signed in as a guest:banana: they are even open Christmas day...lovely to have a toddy after a walk on the beach reflecting on the world in general!!

enjoy your OC'g to in our model state...

ipse