• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas Thornton experience

lukaszu

Couple of things here.
I mostly been cc"ing but about a month ago me and my son came in both with heavy jackets.
I decided to open carry. So I took my 2 year old's jacket off then mine. As I'm putting everything in our cart the people greeter says in a real hard voice " if you pull out you pistol you will be thrown out"
I says " O ok" then as I get my boy under control and we head towards the aquarium it hit me...WTF? Why would he say that to me? It's he required to say that? Does it happen often? I think if I was by myself that day I would have gave him a few worthy replies but I didn't.
Anyhow on a better note, I did see a woman there oc'ing she was there with a man who was not.
That was funny to me cause if the need arose to draw would he hide behind her or what?

I know this story is kinda dry but not much going on in the oc world due to the weather.

OC Freedom

Couple of things here.
I mostly been cc"ing but about a month ago me and my son came in both with heavy jackets.
I decided to open carry. So I took my 2 year old's jacket off then mine. As I'm putting everything in our cart the people greeter says in a real hard voice " if you pull out you pistol you will be thrown out"
I says " O ok" then as I get my boy under control and we head towards the aquarium it hit me...WTF? Why would he say that to me? It's he required to say that? Does it happen often? I think if I was by myself that day I would have gave him a few worthy replies but I didn't.
Anyhow on a better note, I did see a woman there oc'ing she was there with a man who was not.
That was funny to me cause if the need arose to draw would he hide behind her or what?

I know this story is kinda dry but not much going on in the oc world due to the weather.

I asked a Cabelas employee in the gun dept. at the Boise, Idaho location about this very thing last year. It seems that Cabelas will have people remove their pistols from their holsters and try them in the holsters they sell for fitment. I can see Cabelas point of view on this.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Locally the Bass Pro Shops ask if you are looking for a holster or speed loader so that they can direct you to the customer service desk to get your handgun ziptied, Otherwise they treat OCers no better or worse than any other customer.

It may not be too late to call customer service to discuss how the people-greeter behaved. Were it me I'd approach it as "I felt uncomfortable when he suggested I might act criminally."

On a private - meaning not for Cabelas - note: wonder how the people-greeter might have felt if some deranged person showed up to rob/shoot up the place and you were the guy at the right place at the right time to do the right thing?

stay safe.

jackrockblc

lukaszu, I didn't know you were that close to me!

I have visited that Cabela's on multiple occasions, never unarmed, and never concealed. I simply approach the front door greeter, and (as a matter of courtesy, since it's openly carried) insure s/he knows I'm carrying openly, that it will stay in the holster, and is not coming in for service. I've never had them give me a hard time about it, or even come close to your experience.

lukaszu said:

Switch the genders, and see if you'd ask the same question. As I see many male gun carriers on here and other forums whose wives are non-carriers (or straight-up antis) - would we be asking the same of those wives? I can all-to-easily see a woman who carries with a husband/boyfriend/boy-toy who doesn't/won't carry.

Last edited:

lukaszu

Me

lukaszu, I didn't know you were that close to me!

I have visited that Cabela's on multiple occasions, never unarmed, and never concealed. I simply approach the front door greeter, and (as a matter of courtesy, since it's openly carried) insure s/he knows I'm carrying openly, that it will stay in the holster, and is not coming in for service. I've never had them give me a hard time about it, or even come close to your experience.

Switch the genders, and see if you'd ask the same question. As I see many male gun carriers on here and other forums whose wives are non-carriers (or straight-up antis) - would we be asking the same of those wives? I can all-to-easily see a woman who carries with a husband/boyfriend/boy-toy who doesn't/won't carry.

Hey I never said there was something wrong with it. I was just brought up in a certain way. I. E
Men don't cry (unless some real shet just happened), u don't get a trophy just for participating,
Man supposed to look macho not girly, man has home responsibility as do woman and the man should be #1 protector of his family.
Anyhow I'll be there tonight and tomorrow. I'll be the fellow with the toddler on a monkey leash.
Cabelas has 25% tomorrow in the bargain cave.

Colorado Luckydog

I know if the guy would have threatened me and said I would be thrown out, he would be looking for a job. I would have had his ass fired. No manager for Cabelas would put up with that crap for one second.

solus

I know if the guy would have threatened me and said I would be thrown out, he would be looking for a job. I would have had his ass fired. No manager for Cabelas would put up with that crap for one second.

excellent example of testosterone rush at its finest coupled with the ability to know what EVERY Cabelas manager's behaviour and reaction is...quite impressive to say the least!

ipse

solus

excellent example of having nothing worth saying so you have to be smart butt to someone. I know plenty about Cabelas and their management. No WAY they put up with an employee talking to customers like that. NO Way. Just saying.....

humm ~ know plenty, eh? seems my point is proved...just saying!

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Individual employees have been reported to interpret Cabela's rules incorrectly. While going up the food chain has resolved the problem, that doesn't change the fact that it did occur.

Employee training is an on going thing, sometimes proactive, sometimes reactive.

Maverick9

You scared the poor timid employee to the point he had to get up in your face and command you not to do something ridiculous. Was he trembling and drooling?

Try not to scare the muggles, man. /sarcasm font.

lukaszu

Follow up

Happy to report that I oc'd there 3 more times and not a word was said other then the usual "Welcome to cabelas... Would you like to save 20$ today?"
Even walked past the same young guy who's comment started this tread.
So I'm guessing here that the reason for his comment earlier was because of some incident.

Reic

I've opened carried several times at the Lonetree Cabelas with zero problems. The only thing said to me was a compliment on my Kimber 1911 and the custom holster I carry it in.

I personally never carry there. The employees already hover around me enough when I'm simply in the ammo section...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I personally never carry there. The employees already hover around me enough when I'm simply in the ammo section...
Welcome to OCDO Reic.

Presuming that you do carry otherwise, why would you disarm to allegedly reduce "hovering?" How does that work?

Maybe they are just making themselves available to help.

Reic

Welcome to OCDO Reic.

Presuming that you do carry otherwise, why would you disarm to allegedly reduce "hovering?" How does that work?

Maybe they are just making themselves available to help.

Thanks for the welcome!

I carry anywhere I legally can in El Paso County but I feel like I get a different reaction from people down here than I do up there.

I would normally assume that they are just trying to be helpful but whenever I actually do need help at that particular Cabela's it seems like the employees start ducking behind shelves or jumping to imaginary people's aid elsewhere. If they were consistently just trying to be helpful I would just crack it up to that but I can't help but feel strange about it because they otherwise don't seem to care to help.