• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 347 (Constitutional Carry/Permitless Carry)

trapc45

Ladies and gents,

This bill is heading back to the Senate for concurrence after the minimum age was raised to 21. It is not expected that the Senate will be a hurdle for this, however Gov. Tomblin is an unknown at best. When SB 317 (preemption) crossed his desk, it was decided based sole on phone calls supporting or opposing. Please call the Governor's office and urge him to sign this bill! 1(304)558-2000.

twoskinsonemanns

The gov is beginning to worry me. With Manchin moving back in the mansion in 2016 and the Bloomberg money starting to show up in opposition to the bill, it makes me wonder if gov tomblin might not be making some deal with bloomberg for some job in 2016 after he is kicked out.

77zach

I'll be surprised if he doesn't veto this. I don't understand what he hopes to gain. Unless you're in certain large cities you have nothing to gain by being anti gun. Anti gun people are very strange though, I've read things on psychology and philosophy trying to understand them.

I will call from Florida.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Any chance of a veto overide?

But if it is vetoed, you can say you aren't like the hunter and the log.
A hunter comes in the locale bar everyday grumbling because a log fell across the road blocking his favorite hunting spot.

This goes on for a week of the fellow saying the log can't be moved.

Finally the bartender asks, have you tried, which the hunter says....NO.

No matter what happens, you fought the good fight and will win it eventually.

twoskinsonemanns

It did pass with enough votes to override a veto. But if I understand correctly after it gets vetoed it must be voted on again to override the veto. Also if I understand correctly there is no more time left in the legislative schedule this session to take the vote.
So a veto kills it this session.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It did pass with enough votes to override a veto. But if I understand correctly after it gets vetoed it must be voted on again to override the veto. Also if I understand correctly there is no more time left in the legislative schedule this session to take the vote.

So a veto kills it this session.

There are a couple of reasons I don't meddle in out of state politics twoskins. One of course is its none of my business but another is that I don't understand how they are set up.
In va, the governor has 30 days to act on a bill if the session has adjourned.

The legislators come back for a special session to consider veto and other business.

77zach

There are a couple of reasons I don't meddle in out of state politics twoskins. One of course is its none of my business

Legislation is contagious and more rationale statesmen research the history and situation of other states. Today in the campus carry hearing in the Florida senate the anti's were called to the carpet because they could offer no evidence of any negative side effects in other states that override colleges' anti gun policies and the bill passed a big committee hurdle. I'm not really involved in other states affairs, but I do call or email on worthwhile legislation per NRA legislative updates.

twoskinsonemanns

Action by the Governor
After a bill passes both chambers in the same form, it is sent to the governor. While the Legislature is in session, the governor has five days to approve or veto a bill he or she receives. After the Legislature adjourns, the governor has 15 days to act on most bills. However, the budget bill and supplemental appropriations bills must be acted upon by the governor within five days regardless of when they are received. If the governor does not act within these time limits, bills automatically become law without his or her signature.

Overriding a Veto
If the Legislature is still in session when the governor vetoes a bill, a simple majority vote of the members of both legislative bodies is necessary to override the veto. In cases when a budget bill or supplemental appropriation bill is vetoed, a two-thirds vote of the members of both houses is needed to override the veto.

I am by no means an expert but this is what I have found so far. He's got 15 days to veto since the session ended 3-14-15.
I don't see any recourse to override the veto once the session has ended but I'm still learning.

77zach

Vetoed

I'll be surprised if he doesn't veto this. I don't understand what he hopes to gain. Unless you're in certain large cities you have nothing to gain by being anti gun. Anti gun people are very strange though, I've read things on psychology and philosophy trying to understand them.

I will call from Florida.
Toljaso. A Demonrat is a Demonrat. Like the frog and the scorpion. Sorry, it was a good effort. Maybe some day. He says for lawwwrrrr enforcement. ****.

Also, how convenient the session is over. For neocons that is. "Yeah, I'll vote for that, it'll look good, these idiot voters don't know the governor will veto it anyway"

Last edited by a moderator:

twoskinsonemanns

Toljaso. A Demonrat is a Demonrat. Like the frog and the scorpion. Sorry, it was a good effort. Maybe some day. He says for lawwwrrrr enforcement. ****.

Also, how convenient the session is over. For neocons that is. "Yeah, I'll vote for that, it'll look good, these idiot voters don't know the governor will veto it anyway"

Gov Tomblin said:
Even though the numbers may have said one thing on the board, I think there’s different feelings among the legislators when it comes down to actually signing the bill into law or vetoing the bill.

So it would seem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

rightwinglibertarian

Well looks like the govorner decided to commit treason and violate the constitution

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-l...gn=Feed:+gunssavelives/YUiF+(Guns+Save+Lives)

West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin (D) has officially vetoed a bill that would have made WV a constitutional carry state.
Tomblin issued the following statement:
“Throughout my career, I have strongly supported the Second Amendment, as demonstrated by my repeated endorsements and high grades from the National Rifle Association. However, I must also be responsive to the apprehension of law enforcement officers from across the state, who have concerns about the bill as it relates to the safety of their fellow officers.
It also would eliminate the required gun safety training courses for those applying for a concealed carry permit. In light of these concerns and in the interest of public safety for all West Virginians, I have vetoed Senate Bill 347.”

lets try to get this retweeted as many times as possible. We the People will not stand for rights being spat upon

https://twitter.com/LCWI_Patriot/status/579391922160033792

twoskinsonemanns

Well looks like the govorner decided to commit treason and violate the constitution

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-l...gn=Feed:+gunssavelives/YUiF+(Guns+Save+Lives)

lets try to get this retweeted as many times as possible. We the People will not stand for rights being spat upon

https://twitter.com/LCWI_Patriot/status/579391922160033792

His statement is a lie. The bill did not change the concealed carry process at all. It simply repealed the crime of CC for 21+
The process would have remained and continued to be used by those wishing to exploit it's reciprocity elements.
* <--- This represents all the horrendous vulgar things I would like to say about the man that would get deleted anyway.