Thread: Second Amendment March April 29 2015

Second Amendment March April 29 2015

Second Amendment March was founded in 2009 for the purpose of organizing a nationwide pro-Second Amendment Rally in Washington, D.C. The original event took place in 2010. Since that event we have focused on Michigan events, working in conjunction with Michigan's largest gun rights organizations.

What: A peaceful gathering to demonstrate the political strength of Michigan's legal gun owners and Second Amendment advocates

When: Wednesday, April 29 2015 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Where:Lansing State Capitol lawn

The Details:

Michigan's Second Amendment March will be held on Wednesday, April 29th at Michigan's Capitol. The event will begin at 10:00 a.m. on the Capitol lawn. Unlike previous years, the actual march part of the event will be around the Capitol Building and it will be midway through the event. Legislature is in session that day. We'll be showing them the political strength of Michigan's legal gun owners. The march is being organized by Skip Coryell's Second Amendment March and jointly promoted and funded by the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, Michigan Open Carry, and Michigan Gun Owners. Please visit our Facebook event page for the most updated information.

http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I will be there, and I have room in my truck for two passengers. I will be coming from the area of West Bloomfield. PM me if you need a ride.

If you ride with me, and want to catch a ride back with me, you're on my schedule. I may stay up to dinnertime, if folks want to gather for dinner. Or I may head back after lunch, depending. So, if you want a ride, be flexible. But it will be a good time in the presence of your sisters and brothers-in-arms, so it won't matter how long of a day it is. The other good thing is, I don't ask for gas money. The ride is free. Just bring yourself, and be packing your heat responsibly.
    Last edited by DanM; 03-13-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

DanM is a good guy! Class act as always Dan. +1 from a fellow Glock 9mm carrier.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    DanM is a good guy! Class act as always Dan. +1 from a fellow Glock 9mm carrier.
    FreeInAZ, a former Michigan open carrier, always an honorary Michigan OC'er. Hope the change in climate with the move is doing you good, mate!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Sure is, we get so much sun, we don't even bother with daylight saving time.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-13-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I'm planning and hoping to make it to this march. My one question, I know that OC of a handgun is encouraged, though not required. Is the OC of the "other" type of firearm also encouraged? Or are we not doing that this year?

Just asking, since I don't know.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I'm planning and hoping to make it to this march. My one question, I know that OC of a handgun is encouraged, though not required. Is the OC of the "other" type of firearm also encouraged? Or are we not doing that this year?

Just asking, since I don't know.
    Not sure if it is "encouraged" but it is definitely ok. I suspect there will be many AK's AR's shotguns and assorted "other" types of guns.

From Facebook page
    "The Second Amendment March will be held on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at the State Capitol. While the majority of people attending the event practice typical carry of pistols, many participants also carry long guns at the event. Michigan is a permissive state in allowing carry, including long guns, in the State Capitol and legislative office buildings. The Michigan State Police politely request, but do not require, that long guns be carried in the muzzle down position at the event except while in the House & Senate galleries located on the third floor of the Capitol. If you wish to view legislative proceedings while in the galleries and are carrying a long gun, you may wish to rotate it to a muzzle up position in the lobby outside the gallery. Please be aware of not hitting the Capitol walls with your long guns while in the building. This seems to be the biggest concern of Capitol Facilities as the restoration work in the Capitol is rather expensive to maintain and repair."
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Is the OC of the "other" type of firearm also encouraged?
    I've been to every 2A March so far, and generally OC is encouraged with no discrimination having ever been voiced on anyone's choice of legally possessed firearm. That's been my experience.

You will see plenty of handgun AND long gun OC, and many like myself OC one of each at this event.

I hope these facts answer your specific question about this event, but let's not stretch the mods' benevolent flexibility with too much more discussion of that particular aspect of this great 2A event!

^^^That - also whatever you carry remember you are going to be used as a sound bite and prop for the evening news if you do so STUPIDLY! So learn proper & safe handling and muzzle control BEFORE you attend please. If you have questions there are many here who can point you to useful subject matter.

ETA - comments not meant to be snarky, on the contrary, we all have to start somewhere. Carry on safely and with vast knowledge, patriots.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-14-2015 at 10:57 PM.

I was asking as this is a political march, and I know that LGOC is generally considered more of a "political statement" than anything else. Still trying to decide if I'm gonna bring my M&P 15 to the march as well as my 1911.

Thanks for all the input.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

IMHO, if there has ever been a time when LGOC is appropriate, this would seem to be it. I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with it. I plan to OC a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and CC a Glock 23 along with my NAA .22 mag revolver, but have contemplated carrying any number of my long guns. The hardware can get a bit heavy, though. Personally, I always like to see a wide array of weaponry...especially people with a single barrel shotgun, which is arguably the cheapest firearm one can generally purchase. IMHO, the point of the march is to remind the legislature that the all sorts people exercise their right with all sorts of firearms. The right is broad and therefore the march should also be.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.