Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Legislature Ready to Move Forward on Open Carry Bill

Moderator / Administrator

Texas Legislature Ready to Move Forward on Open Carry Bill

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/...en-carry-bill/

SNIP

"The Texas Senate is expected to a bring pro-gun open carry bill to the floor for a vote as early as Monday. The move comes after the 60-day bill filing period ended on Friday. The Texas Legislature may now vote on and pass any bills. Before the first sixty days has passed, the Legislature may only approve bills on issues designated as “emergency items” by the Governor.

One bill being considered for early passage is an open carry bill written by State Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls). The bill (SB 17) which passed a committee vote earlier in the session would allow of open carry of firearms by people who have concealed handgun licenses (CHL). “I am very confident the Senate will . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/...en-carry-bill/

SNIP

"The Texas Senate is expected to a bring pro-gun open carry bill to the floor for a vote as early as Monday. The move comes after the 60-day bill filing period ended on Friday. The Texas Legislature may now vote on and pass any bills. Before the first sixty days has passed, the Legislature may only approve bills on issues designated as “emergency items” by the Governor.

One bill being considered for early passage is an open carry bill written by State Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls). The bill (SB 17) which passed a committee vote earlier in the session would allow of open carry of firearms by people who have concealed handgun licenses (CHL). “I am very confident the Senate will . . ."
    Ths bill in NO WAY improves the state's view of bearing firearms. If I need a license to do it, it's a state-revocable privilege - NOT a right. I do not support SB17.

Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    Ths bill in NO WAY improves the state's view of bearing firearms. If I need a license to do it, it's a state-revocable privilege - NOT a right. I do not support SB17.
    And if the state did pass permitless carry, who's to say they won't revoke it (via legislative fiat) at some point in the future? They certainly did in the past.

Take what you can get (then push for more next time), rather than throwing a tantrum because you aren't getting it all right now.
    Last edited by SteveInCO; 03-17-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Unfortunately, there is still a long way to go. When SB17 passes it still has to make it through a House committee, and then make it on to the calendar. My understanding is it is at that point that it faces the biggest hurdle - the calendar committee.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

No, it definitely improves it. You have obviously identified an area for further improvement. But we shouldn't reject a step because it's not a leap to the end.

One step forward is an improvement for sure, especially in a place as startlingly statist as Texas. If the bill banned something else currently legal as a bargain it'd be time to stop it, but I see no negative in a privilege gain without a liberty loss.

Unconstitutional and wrong as hell to require a permit though, that definitely needs to be at the forefront of the discussion.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    And if the state did pass permitless carry, who's to say they won't revoke it (via legislative fiat) at some point in the future? They certainly did in the past.
    That's true of any constitutional right, unless the people push back.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    Take what you can get (then push for more next time), rather than throwing a tantrum because you aren't getting it all right now.
    I'm not throwing a tantrum. I'm stating my opinion. What *** **** has happened to this country where demanding that the state adhere to the Constitution THAT THEY AGREED TO WHEN JOINING THE UNION is considered throwing a tantrum?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-19-2015 at 09:46 AM. Reason: f-bomb still obvious

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
    No, it definitely improves it. You have obviously identified an area for further improvement. But we shouldn't reject a step because it's not a leap to the end.
    You mean they've now made it "legal" for a concealed carrier to accidently expose his sidearm. That's an improvement, alright. I feel so lucky and blessed to live in Texas.

You can always move out from Texas, maybe like Cuba or Pakistan

You mean they've now made it "legal" for a concealed carrier to accidently expose his sidearm. That's an improvement, alright. I feel so lucky and blessed to live in Texas.
    No, that was two (or was it four?) years ago. Are you even reading these articles or bills?

I've shared this little tidbit before so I'm not going to elaborate .

As far back as during the 1845 Texas Constitution Convention there were concerns expressed regarding the efficacy of allowing the wearing/carrying of deadly weapons on one's person IN TEXAS.

That concern never quite went away and was later addressed during the 1876 Texas Constitution Convention......with the provision:

"...but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime."

Texans are still stuck with their 1876 Constitution.

Licensed (regulated) wearing of arms (handguns) is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
    No, that was two (or was it four?) years ago. Are you even reading these articles or bills?
    I could be wrong but I believe you missed his sarcasm

So..........are they all gone for the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by carstensxdm45 View Post
    So..........are they all gone for the weekend?
    You're asking this on a Friday? You must have no idea how the Texas Legislature "works."

Tuesday/Wednesday = Friday for them while they are in session.
    Last edited by Ian; 03-20-2015 at 02:45 PM.

I know, I was hoping they would actually do some work. Anyway, see what happens next week, BTW, Ian, appreciate your help keeping up with this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by carstensxdm45 View Post
    I know, I was hoping they would actually do some work. Anyway, see what happens next week, BTW, Ian, appreciate your help keeping up with this stuff
    No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted. Working closely with OCDO's Mike, we had radio ads, billboards, tv news pieces and everything going. Unfortunately our sponsor for the bill backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure Texas had the right political climate then to get open carry, but it's looking good this time around!

As far as them doing work, this is "full day" time for them now. Before that 60 day mark we were waiting for, they would literally come in, welcome different groups to the capital for 30 minutes, then someone would motion to adjourn for the day and it would pass unanimously.
    Last edited by Ian; 03-20-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted.
    ...snip
    Thanks for all you do Ian!! I remember seeing those billboards--they were awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted. Working closely with OCDO's Mike, we had radio ads, billboards, tv news pieces and everything going. Unfortunately our sponsor for the bill backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure Texas had the right political climate then to get open carry, but it's looking good this time around!
    The legislative gatekeepers are still blaming you, Mike, me, and everyone else who advocated for OC, for the failure of any of their non-OC bills (campus carry, employer parking lot, etc.)

If OC becomes law in Texas during this session, it will be licensed OC, and probably have other unpleasant restrictions attached. The problem is that Texas doesn't believe in repealing sections of code that restrict carry; instead, they amend it by tacking exemptions onto the end.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    The legislative gatekeepers are still blaming you, Mike, me, and everyone else who advocated for OC, for the failure of any of their non-OC bills (campus carry, employer parking lot, etc.)
    Ultimately, Republicans don't give two turds about liberty. They care about specific privileges that they want, and they happen to try to justify those privileges by misappropriating the specter of liberty. This is why they are so opposed to the liberty of others, and why they are fundamentally indistinguishable from Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Ultimately, Republicans don't give two turds about liberty. They care about specific privileges that they want, and they happen to try to justify those privileges by misappropriating the specter of liberty. This is why they are so opposed to the liberty of others, and why they are fundamentally indistinguishable from Democrats.
    Bravo! Well said.

They're all progressives, D's, R's and L's, shoring up their tyranny with legislation on top of legislation, never rescinding anything. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better while leaving US suffering the consequences.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Well summarized. Edit: In addition, I believe that many of them are quite simply afraid of freedom. I was told by a legislator that he did not want "the responsibility" of restoring liberty with the risk that some might make bad choices in that liberty and he be blamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Bravo! Well said.

They're all progressives, D's, R's and L's, shoring up their tyranny with legislation on top of legislation, never rescinding anything. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better while leaving US suffering the consequences.
    Pft.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 03-21-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

In My Opinion Only!

This will pass, and quickly. There will be a few hearings and bluster, but the R's are desperate to get licensed OC to the governor's desk quickly. They want Constitutional Carry to go away, at least for now. Right, to every politician, is how little they can do so as to offend the least people. And the Lefties will scream over CC, those of us on the Right will grumble "OK for now, but we will be back in 2 years".
    The politician can announce that they have passed OC as promised. (Without getting into LC and CC)
    The average voter will wonder why there are CC rallies in 2 years, when OC passed, heck they even saw it once on the news!
    The Left will wail for a while, but they knew they were going to lose on this.
    The vast majority of gun owners will be satisfied, and that is what the politicians want, the majority.

I liked Constitutional Carry when I had it for a few months visiting WA. But I will now get a TX license so that I can finally carry here. I refused to get one to cc.
    Last edited by hovercat; 03-21-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: SP.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post

If OC becomes law in Texas during this session, it will be licensed OC, and probably have other unpleasant restrictions attached. The problem is that Texas doesn't believe in repealing sections of code that restrict carry; instead, they amend it by tacking exemptions onto the end.
    This is how Florida operates also but the law is easy. The right to bear arms is simply banned, so the law isn't hard to figure out. If you exercise your privilege to purchase an affirmative defense to the crime of carrying a concealed weapon, you're only absolutely banned from a short list of places.
    Last edited by 77zach; 03-22-2015 at 01:27 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by hovercat View Post
    I liked Constitutional Carry when I had it for a few months visiting WA. But I will now get a TX license so that I can finally carry here. I refused to get one to cc.
    My wife steadfastly refused to get a permission slip in Texas, and has refused to do so even in NH, where it's $10 and shall-issue (mine and our adult daughter's licenses were ready to pick up in two days).

Since NH only requires a license in two instances (to carry a handgun on your person that is both loaded and concealed, or to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle), it's not really been a burden on her.

But NH is close to constitutional carry, despite the silly sallies warning that it will be "just like Texas!"

I was one of the first in line to get a Texas CHL....meaning I've held one now for what - about 19 years...?

I was also one of those who had always adhered to the frontier principle that it was better to be tried by 12 ..than carried by 6...LONG BEFORE the Texas CHL law was enacted.

In other words...I DO UNDERSTAND Constitutional carry.

The licensed carry that will be available on January 1, 2016 in Texas is a BIG DEAL.

Texans won't be subject to the confusion that has often been the case in states like Colorado...where there is NO LAW pertaining to open carry.....but a jurisdiction like Denver is able to prohibit open carry due to the ABSENCE of any State law regulating open carry that would serve to establish preemption..thereby providing that progressive cesspool with a HOME RULE exemption.

This is GOOD LAW...and it is CONSTITUTIONAL law in Texas. Congratulations Texans...and ...don't forget to express your thanks to those hardworking Okie's just North of the Red River ..for paving the way !
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 03-22-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast