• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Legislature Ready to Move Forward on Open Carry Bill

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...ure-ready-to-move-forward-on-open-carry-bill/

SNIP

"The Texas Senate is expected to a bring pro-gun open carry bill to the floor for a vote as early as Monday. The move comes after the 60-day bill filing period ended on Friday. The Texas Legislature may now vote on and pass any bills. Before the first sixty days has passed, the Legislature may only approve bills on issues designated as “emergency items” by the Governor.

One bill being considered for early passage is an open carry bill written by State Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls). The bill (SB 17) which passed a committee vote earlier in the session would allow of open carry of firearms by people who have concealed handgun licenses (CHL). “I am very confident the Senate will . . ."

jsimmons

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...ure-ready-to-move-forward-on-open-carry-bill/

SNIP

"The Texas Senate is expected to a bring pro-gun open carry bill to the floor for a vote as early as Monday. The move comes after the 60-day bill filing period ended on Friday. The Texas Legislature may now vote on and pass any bills. Before the first sixty days has passed, the Legislature may only approve bills on issues designated as “emergency items” by the Governor.

One bill being considered for early passage is an open carry bill written by State Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls). The bill (SB 17) which passed a committee vote earlier in the session would allow of open carry of firearms by people who have concealed handgun licenses (CHL). “I am very confident the Senate will . . ."

Ths bill in NO WAY improves the state's view of bearing firearms. If I need a license to do it, it's a state-revocable privilege - NOT a right. I do not support SB17.

SteveInCO

Ths bill in NO WAY improves the state's view of bearing firearms. If I need a license to do it, it's a state-revocable privilege - NOT a right. I do not support SB17.

And if the state did pass permitless carry, who's to say they won't revoke it (via legislative fiat) at some point in the future? They certainly did in the past.

Take what you can get (then push for more next time), rather than throwing a tantrum because you aren't getting it all right now.

Last edited:

Glockster

Unfortunately, there is still a long way to go. When SB17 passes it still has to make it through a House committee, and then make it on to the calendar. My understanding is it is at that point that it faces the biggest hurdle - the calendar committee.

jordanmills

No, it definitely improves it. You have obviously identified an area for further improvement. But we shouldn't reject a step because it's not a leap to the end.

Michigander

One step forward is an improvement for sure, especially in a place as startlingly statist as Texas. If the bill banned something else currently legal as a bargain it'd be time to stop it, but I see no negative in a privilege gain without a liberty loss.

Unconstitutional and wrong as hell to require a permit though, that definitely needs to be at the forefront of the discussion.

jsimmons

And if the state did pass permitless carry, who's to say they won't revoke it (via legislative fiat) at some point in the future? They certainly did in the past.

That's true of any constitutional right, unless the people push back.

Take what you can get (then push for more next time), rather than throwing a tantrum because you aren't getting it all right now.

I'm not throwing a tantrum. I'm stating my opinion. What *** **** has happened to this country where demanding that the state adhere to the Constitution THAT THEY AGREED TO WHEN JOINING THE UNION is considered throwing a tantrum?

Last edited by a moderator:

jsimmons

No, it definitely improves it. You have obviously identified an area for further improvement. But we shouldn't reject a step because it's not a leap to the end.

You mean they've now made it "legal" for a concealed carrier to accidently expose his sidearm. That's an improvement, alright. I feel so lucky and blessed to live in Texas.

jordanmills

You mean they've now made it "legal" for a concealed carrier to accidently expose his sidearm. That's an improvement, alright. I feel so lucky and blessed to live in Texas.

No, that was two (or was it four?) years ago. Are you even reading these articles or bills?

rushcreek2

I've shared this little tidbit before so I'm not going to elaborate .

As far back as during the 1845 Texas Constitution Convention there were concerns expressed regarding the efficacy of allowing the wearing/carrying of deadly weapons on one's person IN TEXAS.

That concern never quite went away and was later addressed during the 1876 Texas Constitution Convention......with the provision:

"...but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime."

Texans are still stuck with their 1876 Constitution.

Licensed (regulated) wearing of arms (handguns) is the result.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
So..........are they all gone for the weekend?

You're asking this on a Friday? You must have no idea how the Texas Legislature "works."

Tuesday/Wednesday = Friday for them while they are in session.

Last edited:

carstensxdm45

I know, I was hoping they would actually do some work. Anyway, see what happens next week, BTW, Ian, appreciate your help keeping up with this stuff

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I know, I was hoping they would actually do some work. Anyway, see what happens next week, BTW, Ian, appreciate your help keeping up with this stuff

No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted. Working closely with OCDO's Mike, we had radio ads, billboards, tv news pieces and everything going. Unfortunately our sponsor for the bill backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure Texas had the right political climate then to get open carry, but it's looking good this time around!

As far as them doing work, this is "full day" time for them now. Before that 60 day mark we were waiting for, they would literally come in, welcome different groups to the capital for 30 minutes, then someone would motion to adjourn for the day and it would pass unanimously.

Last edited:

qednick

No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted.
...snip

Thanks for all you do Ian!! I remember seeing those billboards--they were awesome!

KBCraig

No problem! I'm happy and excited to get back into it now that I'm back living in Texas. I was the one that started that 55,000 signature petition for open carry back in 2007 or so, and I was regularly meeting with representatives in the Capital trying to get someone to step up and get a bill in that the people obviously wanted. Working closely with OCDO's Mike, we had radio ads, billboards, tv news pieces and everything going. Unfortunately our sponsor for the bill backed out at the last minute. I'm not sure Texas had the right political climate then to get open carry, but it's looking good this time around!

The legislative gatekeepers are still blaming you, Mike, me, and everyone else who advocated for OC, for the failure of any of their non-OC bills (campus carry, employer parking lot, etc.)

If OC becomes law in Texas during this session, it will be licensed OC, and probably have other unpleasant restrictions attached. The problem is that Texas doesn't believe in repealing sections of code that restrict carry; instead, they amend it by tacking exemptions onto the end.

()pen(arry

The legislative gatekeepers are still blaming you, Mike, me, and everyone else who advocated for OC, for the failure of any of their non-OC bills (campus carry, employer parking lot, etc.)

Ultimately, Republicans don't give two turds about liberty. They care about specific privileges that they want, and they happen to try to justify those privileges by misappropriating the specter of liberty. This is why they are so opposed to the liberty of others, and why they are fundamentally indistinguishable from Democrats.

stealthyeliminator

Ultimately, Republicans don't give two turds about liberty. They care about specific privileges that they want, and they happen to try to justify those privileges by misappropriating the specter of liberty. This is why they are so opposed to the liberty of others, and why they are fundamentally indistinguishable from Democrats.
Well summarized. Edit: In addition, I believe that many of them are quite simply afraid of freedom. I was told by a legislator that he did not want "the responsibility" of restoring liberty with the risk that some might make bad choices in that liberty and he be blamed.
Bravo! Well said.

They're all progressives, D's, R's and L's, shoring up their tyranny with legislation on top of legislation, never rescinding anything. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better while leaving US suffering the consequences.

Pft.

Last edited: