• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Legislature Ready to Move Forward on Open Carry Bill

hovercat

In My Opinion Only!

This will pass, and quickly. There will be a few hearings and bluster, but the R's are desperate to get licensed OC to the governor's desk quickly. They want Constitutional Carry to go away, at least for now. Right, to every politician, is how little they can do so as to offend the least people. And the Lefties will scream over CC, those of us on the Right will grumble "OK for now, but we will be back in 2 years".
The politician can announce that they have passed OC as promised. (Without getting into LC and CC)
The average voter will wonder why there are CC rallies in 2 years, when OC passed, heck they even saw it once on the news!
The Left will wail for a while, but they knew they were going to lose on this.
The vast majority of gun owners will be satisfied, and that is what the politicians want, the majority.

I liked Constitutional Carry when I had it for a few months visiting WA. But I will now get a TX license so that I can finally carry here. I refused to get one to cc.

Last edited:

77zach

The legislative gatekeepers are still blaming you, Mike, me, and everyone else who advocated for OC, for the failure of any of their non-OC bills (campus carry, employer parking lot, etc.)

If OC becomes law in Texas during this session, it will be licensed OC, and probably have other unpleasant restrictions attached. The problem is that Texas doesn't believe in repealing sections of code that restrict carry; instead, they amend it by tacking exemptions onto the end.

This is how Florida operates also but the law is easy. The right to bear arms is simply banned, so the law isn't hard to figure out. If you exercise your privilege to purchase an affirmative defense to the crime of carrying a concealed weapon, you're only absolutely banned from a short list of places.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I liked Constitutional Carry when I had it for a few months visiting WA. But I will now get a TX license so that I can finally carry here. I refused to get one to cc.

My wife steadfastly refused to get a permission slip in Texas, and has refused to do so even in NH, where it's $10 and shall-issue (mine and our adult daughter's licenses were ready to pick up in two days).

Since NH only requires a license in two instances (to carry a handgun on your person that is both loaded and concealed, or to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle), it's not really been a burden on her.

But NH is close to constitutional carry, despite the silly sallies warning that it will be "just like Texas!" :rolleyes:

rushcreek2

I was one of the first in line to get a Texas CHL....meaning I've held one now for what - about 19 years...?

I was also one of those who had always adhered to the frontier principle that it was better to be tried by 12 ..than carried by 6...LONG BEFORE the Texas CHL law was enacted.

In other words...I DO UNDERSTAND Constitutional carry.

The licensed carry that will be available on January 1, 2016 in Texas is a BIG DEAL.

Texans won't be subject to the confusion that has often been the case in states like Colorado...where there is NO LAW pertaining to open carry.....but a jurisdiction like Denver is able to prohibit open carry due to the ABSENCE of any State law regulating open carry that would serve to establish preemption..thereby providing that progressive cesspool with a HOME RULE exemption.

This is GOOD LAW...and it is CONSTITUTIONAL law in Texas. Congratulations Texans...and ...don't forget to express your thanks to those hardworking Okie's just North of the Red River ..for paving the way !

Last edited:

SteveInCO

Texans won't be subject to the confusion that has often been the case in states like Colorado...where there is NO LAW pertaining to open carry.....but a jurisdiction like Denver is able to prohibit open carry due to the ABSENCE of any State law regulating open carry that would serve to establish preemption..thereby providing that progressive cesspool with a HOME RULE exemption.

If that wasn't the most pathetically argued court case in human history... well, it has lots of competition so I am sure it wasn't.

Don't get me started on the City and Cesspit of Denver. Conveniently located only minutes away from Colorado.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
With every step toward liberty, people grumble about it not being far enough

I was one of the first in line to get a Texas CHL....meaning I've held one now for what - about 19 years...?

I was also one of those who had always adhered to the frontier principle that it was better to be tried by 12 ..than carried by 6...LONG BEFORE the Texas CHL law was enacted.

In other words...I DO UNDERSTAND Constitutional carry.

The licensed carry that will be available on January 1, 2016 in Texas is a BIG DEAL.

This is GOOD LAW...and it is CONSTITUTIONAL law in Texas. Congratulations Texans...and ...don't forget to express your thanks to those hardworking Okie's just North of the Red River ..for paving the way !

People always grumble about a step forward not being far enough, or not being perfect. Nothing is perfect, and we have far more practical liberty to carry weapons today than we had 20 years ago. Not on ly that, but we are on the offensive and winning many fights.

I remember when most of the people of the gun thought all was lost, that we were on an unstoppable downslope toward New York City style gun control for the whole country.

That did not happen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
People always grumble about a step forward not being far enough, or not being perfect. Nothing is perfect, and we have far more practical liberty to carry weapons today than we had 20 years ago. Not on ly that, but we are on the offensive and winning many fights.

I remember when most of the people of the gun thought all was lost, that we were on an unstoppable downslope toward New York City style gun control for the whole country.

That did not happen.
And that will not happen on our watch.
icon14.png

stealthyeliminator

Oh snap! Rule 15 violation! Rule 15 violation! Grapeshot is SO gonna ban you* ***! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN

(It was funny in my head. Then I typed it. Oh well, posting anyway!)

Hmm can a mod/admin ban them self? Grapeshot, toss me some mod privs so I can test it out. ;)

And FYI, yes, your post was funny. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh snap! Rule 15 violation! Rule 15 violation! Grapeshot is SO gonna ban you* ***! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN

(It was funny in my head. Then I typed it. Oh well, posting anyway!)

Hmm can a mod/admin ban them self? Grapeshot, toss me some mod privs so I can test it out. ;)

And FYI, yes, your post was funny. :D
Nothing illegal was posted, hinted at, or suggested. NY style gun control is not coming to the rest of the country while we are on the job/on our watch. See nothing funny in that, but maybe I'm missing the humor.

SteveInCO

Nothing illegal was posted, hinted at, or suggested. NY style gun control is not coming to the rest of the country while we are on the job/on our watch. See nothing funny in that, but maybe I'm missing the humor.

Both posts show as having been edited by you, so it's possible the humor is now gone. Or (yeah) maybe there really was nothing there.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Both posts show as having been edited by you, so it's possible the humor is now gone. Or (yeah) maybe there really was nothing there.
The only editing was to remove non-essentual, mild cursing.