• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Individual rights v. governent intervention

utbagpiper

Banned
Those who do not "see" government as a evil, a necessary evil, will work to make a evil government more to their liking.

Those who see government as evil will work to make everything government does evil.

A moral individual...a liberty minded individual, does not accept a ends justifies the means approach to governance by our elected critters.

A moral individual...a liberty minded individual, does not accept that failure to protect rights is a viable solution. We do not accept that merely attacking the current institution is a real solution.

I believe governments were instituted among men to protect their rights. I believe all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

To a person, those who have advocated for anarchy in this thread have been entirely unable to articulate what it is they propose other than an end to the status quo. They point to books, articles, and even google.

If the RKBA community were so impotent and incompetent in describing our vision for a society that respects our natural, God-given, and inalienable rights to an effective defense, the 2nd amendment would have been repealed years ago and our firearms confiscated ala England.

I axed a question earlier...what if a citizenry voted to abolish their local government? What if the citizenry voted to abolish their state government? Do any here believe that the "state" would bow to the will of The People?

When my questions, repeatedly asked, are answered, I will deign to answer you questions.

Fair enough?

Describe how the basics of an anarchist society function to resolve disputes in the very simple cases I've brought up. Until then, you have nothing to offer except criticism of the status quo.

Charles

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Semantics. A society needs a way to arbitrate differences, to protect rights, to punish crimes. Call it what you will (or won't).

If you are unable to describe your vision, all you are left with is opposition to the status quo, rather than advocacy for something else.

Charles

At least you didn't make any silly attempt to propose those as needs for a state.

And it sure doesn't sound like you've even bothered to read the link I offered.

utbagpiper

Banned
The state is crime - no citation needed.

I reject your premise.

Among the crimes the founders cited against King George was his failure to maintain functioning government:

"He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, .... He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; .... the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within."

Provide citations and evidence that your premise has any basis in reality--which reality includes the fact that unless you are living in isolation, societies need a way to arbitrate differences, determine what are rights, protect those rights, and punish crimes. Until you are capably of articulating some alternative--as the founders did when they advocated for a return to elected governance respecting the rights of Englishmen before King George had taken to tyranny--you are not providing anything other than emotional complaints against the status quo.

Charles

J_dazzle23

So who protects rights of citizens then? Safety, sovereignty, freedom? Every man for himself?

Because at its core, government SHOULD be the people. in an organized fashion, imo

***I'm not suggesting that the current government is a shining example of protecting all of our rights***

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
And it sure doesn't sound like you've even bothered to read the link I offered.

I am interested in YOUR vision for a stateless society, not what others have written.

Why can't our resident anarchists--those with whom I share agreement on RKBA and much agreement on liberty and personal freedoms--who are so articulate in defending RKBA and OC, articulate THEIR vision for how a stateless society functions?

This is clearly more than some arrogant refusal to discuss the issue with me or someone else based on personality conflicts or judged unworthiness. This is now evidencing as a complete inability to articulate even the most basic and high level functions of your non-state. Which is entirely predictable.

You don't know how things would work. You haven't been able to figure it out. You have a grand principle (as you see it) in mind but haven't figured out how to actually implement it with any practical details at all. This is entirely predictable, because nobody has figured it out for the simple case I've presented.

Prove me wrong. I've asked a couple of very simple questions, repeatedly. Answer them and prove that you have the slightest idea of practical implementation.

How do voluntary non-government service providers arbitrate differences between themselves?

How are violations of rights under one such provider, by the member of another provider for whom the conduct is not accepted as a violation of rights, handled?

For purposes of the above, assume that neither side will retreat from their position, nor is either side willing to "compromise".

Two questions at the highest of levels. You can't answer them. Nobody can. Because there is no answer within your accepted paradigm.

One way or another, the only answer is that under the system described, one side gets to force its will on the other, and we are back to force. That is your fundamental problem. It is the problem that proponents of anarchy have had since I started discussing it with them 20 years ago. Twenty years, easily a couple of dozen true believers. most of them bright and articulate (a few less so). Not a single resolution to this fundamental problem with your belief system has ever been forthcoming.

It won't this time either. And for all the epithets of "statist", for all the sideways insults of "liberty minded folks...", for all the emotion of "the state is rape/crime/evil..." you cannot solve that fundamental issue. And so you refuse to try.

And by "you" I don't mean ATM specifically. I mean anarchists. The problem is intractable within their espoused belief system.

An all voluntary society works ok in isolation, so long as the society is highly homogenous, and culturally and individually devoted to the ideas of self reliance, hard work, and respect for others' rights. There must be inherent agreement on what those rights are. Under such conditions, almost any system works well. Even highly socialized nations in Europe work great when they are highly homogenous and have some reasonable, shared values.

The problem that comes immediately is when you have heterogeneous groups, living near and among each other, and they have fundamentally different views of rights.

We value freedom of speech. Others highly value respect and tolerance for the sacred. Whether that sacred is a prophet, or a race, gender, or sexual orientation, matters not. We value private property rights. Others do not recognize private property. You value self above all else, others value society above all else, I advocate the need for balance in this area. Some value the life of an unborn baby, a black man, a woman, a poor man, and an "untouchable" on equal basis as the life of a rich, white man. Others are prone to believe that one or more of the foregoing are not really "persons" and thus not entitle to equal rights or consideration. Some accept as self-evident the supremacy of mankind; others believe just as sincerely that animals or even the earth itself must be given equal consideration.

There is a common arrogance in assuming that our view of rights is universal, or even objectively correct. No doubt, on the 90%+ where you and I agree, I'm highly attached to our beliefs rather than conflicting beliefs as we might see in India, the Islamic world, or among AmerIndians or Pacific Islanders. But I recognize that I cannot find any objective, universally accepted fact that makes our view of rights correct and theirs wrong.

So long as disparate groups are isolated from each other, there is little conflict. But when they live together, conflicts must be resolved and when neither side will retreat from its beliefs, force is the only resolution. And my two simple questions expose that, much to the annoyance and consternation of the true believers.

Charles

Last edited:

georg jetson

So who protects rights of citizens then? Safety, sovereignty, freedom? Every man for himself?

Because at its core, government SHOULD be the people. in an organized fashion, imo

***I'm not suggesting that the current government is a shining example of protecting all of our rights***

Who protects the rights of citizens now? The government is the number one violator. What you meant is the current government is not a shining example of protecting ANY of our rights.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I am interested in YOUR vision for a stateless society, not what others have written.

<snip tl;dr>

So you're only interested in answers if I personally rephrase or compile them here for you? What a joke!

Keep typing, you really seem to enjoy it.

PistolPackingMomma

So you're only interested in answers if I personally rephrase or compile them here for you? What a joke!

Didn't you realize that we must re-invent the wheel every time someone wishes it? ;) Lawdha'mercy!

:monkey:monkey:monkey

J_dazzle23

Who protects the rights of citizens now? The government is the number one violator. What you meant is the current government is not a shining example of protecting ANY of our rights.
That may very well be the case right now. But without figuring out a few of the VERY basic topics that Charles and I have brought up, you can be pretty dang sure in short order, someone will be there to violate those rights instead, perhaps to a worse degree.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

I know you are not insinuating that you didn't form a personal opinion on the topic and just copy/pasted your ideology from someone else's critical thinking....

Books are great. They provide plenty of insight. But the author of the book isn't in this forum pushing anarchy. You are.

Btw- heavens knows that Charles' posts can be long. But that doesn't invalidate the content. It's disingenuous to snip just the piece you can nitpick and not address the main point of his post.

Last edited:

georg jetson

That may very well be the case right now. But without figuring out a few of the VERY basic topics that Charles and I have brought up, you can be pretty dang sure in short order, someone will be there to violate those rights instead, perhaps to a worse degree.

im still educating myself, so I dont think I can articulate answers to most of your questions right now. However, I disagree with your assumption that without a non-consentual government my rights might be violated to a worse degree. As it stands right now it is impossible for me to defend myself against the monster we ve created. It can and does violte me at will. It takes my money and buys resources which guarantee its supremecy while making it illegal for me to try and reverse this.

Right now the assumed problems that may arise under a consensual organization appear much easier to solve than what I face presently.

J_dazzle23

im still educating myself, so I dont think I can articulate answers to most of your questions right now. However, I disagree with your assumption that without a non-consentual government my rights might be violated to a worse degree. As it stands right now it is impossible for me to defend myself against the monster we ve created. It can and does violte me at will. It takes my money and buys resources which guarantee its supremecy while making it illegal for me to try and reverse this.

Right now the assumed problems that may arise under a consensual organization appear much easier to solve than what I face presently.

This is probably an answer that I can at least partially agree with.

To be fair, the answer likely depends on WHAT would happen after. (What I'm asking in this thread)

I don't expect everyone to actually have that figured out. But it's a breath of fresh air to hear you (or anyone) admit that they are still working on figuring it out. That is a premise I can wholeheartedly agree with.

OC for ME

For context.
No, the state cannot prevent anything. Whatever is it that is prevented is born on the shoulders of those who obey the laws of men. Please do not give the state any more credit than they deserve. Setting the stage for the citizenry to do the right thing, in spite of the state in many cases, is not the state preventing anything. I hold my fellow citizen in a higher regard and believe that they will do the right thing whether the state has addressed that "right thing" or not. YMMV

No, the state cannot protect us and has no duty to do so beyond constitutional requirements, as nebulous as they are. The citizenry can, and does every day protect themselves, again, often in spite of the state. You continue to subscribe to the state that which they do not deserve. The state is evil by its very nature and the citizenry must be ever vigilant to restrain this evil at every opportunity. A few attaboys will not ever mitigate the untold number of oh-darns. YMMV

I moved to a location that actually had a higher crime rate than my previous home because my home state is not as liberty minded, no OC, than where I reside now. YMMV

I have never advocated that we eradicate the current system. I have consistently advocated that we severely restrain the current system, read my post just in this thread. This is why you are being obtuse.

See previous response, and stop bringing it up in any response to one of my posts please. I, again, do not support these anachro-capitalist (no government/volunteering-ism) notions, never have and never will. Not sure I can get any more clear on this point.

Your views of effective government, obviously, are far different than mine. The state has necessary and proper functions but the state (political critters) have expanded the list of necessary and proper functions, as predicted by our Founders, far beyond what I think they should be. Again, I fall in line with a view of government very similar to The Founders. The restoration of a unfettered RKBA is not going to fix the evils that are in government, that make government evil.

Those who see government as evil will work to make everything government does evil.
You expound upon only those items that buttress your position, ignoring what I state in total. So be it.

A moral individual...a liberty minded individual, does not accept that failure to protect rights is a viable solution. We do not accept that merely attacking the current institution is a real solution.

I believe governments were instituted among men to protect their rights. I believe all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

To a person, those who have advocated for anarchy in this thread have been entirely unable to articulate what it is they propose other than an end to the status quo. They point to books, articles, and even google.

If the RKBA community were so impotent and incompetent in describing our vision for a society that respects our natural, God-given, and inalienable rights to an effective defense, the 2nd amendment would have been repealed years ago and our firearms confiscated ala England.

When my questions, repeatedly asked, are answered, I will deign to answer you questions.

Fair enough?

Describe how the basics of an anarchist society function to resolve disputes in the very simple cases I've brought up. Until then, you have nothing to offer except criticism of the status quo.

Charles
You continue to ask of me the answer to a question, based on a premise I have repeatedly indicated that I disagree with. Your doggedness to gain from me a justification for other folks' views on that topic will remain unanswered by me. It is unfortunate that you cannot distinguish my position from others here.

Again, for those trying to keep up:
The state has necessary and proper functions but the state (political critters) have expanded the list of necessary and proper functions, as predicted by our Founders, far beyond what I think they should be. Again, I fall in line with a view of government very similar to The Founders. The restoration of a unfettered RKBA is not going to fix the evils that are in government, that make government evil.
Nibbling around the edges of my statements, to bolster your position, in my view, is dishonest. I recognize your dedication to individual liberty and as such extend to you the respect that you deserve on this point.

OC for ME

To be fair, the answer likely depends on WHAT would happen after. (What I'm asking in this thread)

I don't expect everyone to actually have that figured out. But it's a breath of fresh air to hear you (or anyone) admit that they are still working on figuring it out. That is a premise I can wholeheartedly agree with.
Not having figured it out...yet, is not a premise, it is a admission that a citizen is in search of a premise, a foundation for his position(s). Fortunately, georg jetson is starting with a premise (foundation) that government is not the answer to some of his questions and government is unlikely to provide a answer to the questions he holds today. This is one of the benefits of OCDO, a possible route to finding a answer and thus being able to formulate a premise that makes sense to him for his position(s).

J_dazzle23

Not having figured it out...yet, is not a premise, it is a admission that a citizen is in search of a premise, a foundation for his position(s). Fortunately, georg jetson is starting with a premise (foundation) that government is not the answer to some of his questions and government is unlikely to provide a answer to the questions he holds today. This is one of the benefits of OCDO, a possible route to finding a answer and thus being able to formulate a premise that makes sense to him for his position(s).
I agree. This seems to be a good place to cultivate those thoughts.

sudden valley gunner

No one can no exactly what can happen after or will. As Jeff brought out earlier it is the "Fatal Conceit" of government and its supporters that they think they can.

Some things may very well be worse. I think overall most things will be better. Liberty is still more essential than the illusion of safety.

If I am a slave or in a concentration camp. I won't worry about who will give me food and shelter. I just want the evil to end.

utbagpiper

Banned
Let's see. Prohibition crime skyrocketed. Drug war crime skyrocketed. Only someone with rose colored state glasses couldn't see that.

You do realize that crime is at a 50 year low, about half the peak rates seen in the 80s and early 90s. And that decline started before anyone was legalizing pot. Cali didn't legalize it for medical purposes until 1996, at least 2 or 3 years after the downward trend in violent crime was well under way. On the other end, the modern "war on drugs" didn't start until 1970 (declared a public enemy by Nixon in 1971), a full half decade after the precipitous rise in violent crime that started in about 1963. Indeed, one might postulate that the war on drugs, misguided as it may be, was, in fact, a response to the rising crime rate of the social revolution of the early 60s, rather than the cause of the violence which was increasing dramatically before the war was started or declared.

Repeating folk lore over and over doesn't make it any more true.

vcrime500.jpg