Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another call to action- Protest against DPD railroading another black open carrier.

Another call to action- Protest against DPD railroading another black open carrier.

DETROIT POLICE/OPEN CARRY UPDATE: Another armed black man has fallen victim to Detroit Police's history of not respecting gun rights. Last year, Jeronie Stanford was walking down a sidewalk in Detroit while carrying his pistol out in the open for personal protection. In Michigan, this action is perfectly legal, assuming you legally own your pistol. Someone who did not know the law called 9-1-1 on Stanford after seeing his openly holstered pistol, and Detroit Police arrived soon thereafter. They arrested him instantly for Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW), a FIVE-YEAR FELONY. After coercing identification from Stanford, the police found an old curfew ticket from years ago that Stanford allegedly never paid. The ticket turned out to be the perfect legal excuse for the unlawful arrest for the police. They seized his legally registered pistol and refused to release it to him. They never formally charged Stanford with CCW. After recently applying for employment, he was declined because the felony arrest showed up on his background check, even though he was never formally charged with CCW. In essence, he is in limbo: he cannot get a job or replace his pistol, and they have not charged him with CCW.

Needless to say, we will be marching in Detroit, for our twelfth time, this Saturday the 21st at noon. More information can be obtained by contacting support@michigancarries.org
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Founder's Club Member
    Get 'em, fellas!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Wow. Do you guys know any gun-friendly lawyers?

Multiple.

The big picture problem is the pattern of criminal abuse from the city towards black men who oc, and the either arrogant and crooked or thoroughly incapable chief who calls himself pro gun. It needs to stop.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

What's going on with this? Have they returned his pistol, or what?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

No change. Meanwhile the chief is currently enjoying very heavy press coverage for the make believe idea that he is pro gun.

And people wonder why black people run from police...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Jackson? Holder? Sharpton? Obama? Anyone of the self-appointed "black leaders"?

Nothing but crickets there. Guess this case of racial discrimination isn't worthy of its own "hashtag" or national outrage movement demanding equal Rights for the African American community...
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-08-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Never mind the main stream black rights community, the main stream black and otherwise gun community isn't even concerned. We're not exactly deterred, but it'd be nice for more people to care that the dpd is feloniously and erroneously prosecuting black men, over and over, with no signs of stopping.

Does the possibility exist for any sort of demonstration by OCers, whether a picnic or a march???
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Picnics, no, the days of picnics being useful activism are gone at least in Michigan, cops are now definitely smart enough to leave a picnic group alone. Muskegon was a great example of this. Meals are now good for conversation and little else. If we set up a picnic it'll be for fun and fun only, maybe coinciding with a litter clean up.

Marches we do relentlessly. There will be more in Detroit without question.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Picnics, no, the days of picnics being useful activism are gone at least in Michigan, cops are now definitely smart enough to leave a picnic group alone. Muskegon was a great example of this. Meals are now good for conversation and little else. If we set up a picnic it'll be for fun and fun only, maybe coinciding with a litter clean up.

Marches we do relentlessly. There will be more in Detroit without question.
    Sir,

Did I read somewhere that you met with the Chief? How did that go?

Also, I sent you a nice PM to which you never responded. Please consider doing so.

I was invited but could not get there. Two other guys were. He stood behind the actions of cops in a circumstance where the evidence showed innocence. If a one time mistake, it'd be one thing. But it wasn't. It's an issue of wide spread, racially biased malicious prosecution.

I did get your pm, and I should have responded, but I probably read it later ay night and tired, and you wrote it in such a way that there wasn't much to say in return. Thank you for the insight in any case.

It sounds like the current problem lies with the prosecutors office which has neither charged nor dismissed the matter. Apparently I'm not understanding Michigan procedure or am missing something.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I was invited but could not get there. Two other guys were. He stood behind the actions of cops in a circumstance where the evidence showed innocence. If a one time mistake, it'd be one thing. But it wasn't. It's an issue of wide spread, racially biased malicious prosecution.

I did get your pm, and I should have responded, but I probably read it later ay night and tired, and you wrote it in such a way that there wasn't much to say in return. Thank you for the insight in any case.
    Thanks for your reply.

That old curfew ticket is all they needed to arrest him and seize the firearm. They will probably take their time actually bringing formal charges against him so, in the meantime, he is treated as if he has actually committed the felony of CCW. I don't see this being resolved any time soon, unfortunately.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I know what you're going through

Did you read the police report concerning the incident when they stopped Stanford? I guarantee they lied in it and those lies uphold them stealing the gun.

It sounds like this problem has NOTHING to do with OC. The problem is the Detroit Police Department and criminals with badges...

LONG story short:
    I had a false report written against me by DPD. I was stopped while walking my dog at night, carrying concealed. Shortly after being disarmed, I was assaulted while handcuffed in the back of the car. He took my phone and called my mother to pick up my dog. Was taken to the hospital because I was bleeding, I guess.

Later, went to the precinct to get my gun. Was given the opportunity to read the report those fools wrote up on me. It was a fictional story from the first sentence. Gun was never returned. Given the report they wrote, I should have had multiple charges. Was charged with nothing.
    Also, while at the hospital, the LEO who assaulted me was spreading lies to all the hospital staff and the security guards. The hospital reports stated "they found a gun on me". It was utterly ridiculous.

I filed an report with DPD Internal Affairs. I don't remember the conclusion... IIRC it concluded that the police were not 100% justified.

I spoke to 4-5 lawyers. They all basically came down to it being 2 cops against my word so no one helped me. Also, I felt some of the lawyers didn't believe or something.
    It was mentally exhausting to recount the events with all these people. Depression was killing me. I dealt this the situation and the depression by forgetting about it.

I should have called Figer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad to say but it is necessary for all who OC/CC or ever go out in public to wear & use multiple recording devices. In today's U.S.A. Without video/audio it is nearly impossible to prove your innocence in a court of law. The days of 'innocent until proven guilty' have long passed, it seems. Replaced all to often with presumed guilty, unless you can prove otherwise.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Nobodey, if you want to tell your story on youtube and/or join us for a protest march in Detroit, consider us down.

Prevention is key

My intention with sharing my story was to show that I went through the same ****. I don't want to hijack this thread. BTW, that happened over 4 years ago (3year statute of limitations).

I'm interested to know what the report says about Stanford's situation. Please inform us.

In the past several years, I have learned that prevention is key.

I agree with FreeinAZ. But I have yet to find a recording device that I don't mind wearing. I'm going to ask a police chief I know what body cams they wear, but I'm sure the cost is going to be ridiculously high.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There are hundreds of video recording devices that are almost undetectable. Not theater quality, but plenty for documenting interactions.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

While LE and all the various .gov agencies know about these things may I suggest educating those who ask about devices via PM in order for these things to not become common knowledge amongst the anti crowd?
    Last edited by Bikenut; 05-03-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    While LE and all the various .gov agencies know about these things may I suggest educating those who ask about devices via PM in order for these things to not become common knowledge amongst the anti crowd?
    Why? Who cares if an anti knows OC supporters are more often carrying such devices? We're already OC. It's not like they think we are fellow antis nor that they don't have an iPhone ready to record us (ok, ok, it could be an Android but I'm going with the odds here ).

Seriously, Bikenut, I really do not understand why this would be something to keep quiet given the ubiquitous nature of smart phone use for recording all nature of things in the world. What difference if it is a smart phone, or a body cam or a digital recorder? Can you expand on your thoughts about this, please.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast