• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could this be the corner that needs turning?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
What great testimony from a previous "insider" who now truly understands why the Maryland law for a Wear and Carry Permit must include "self defense" as a good and substantial reason for approval.

If the legislature approves this bill, Gov. Hogan will sign it. During his campaign, one of his spoken promises was to require the MSP to recognize self defense as a good and substantial reason. Seeing the bill being filed and debated, it appears that Hogan wants to involve the legislature in that change ... but if it does not, then Hogan, himself, has the ability (the Executive Authority, if you will) to direct the MSP Superintendent to include self defense as a good and substantial reason for the issuance of a Wear and Carry Permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Incrementalism is well proven and very workable strategy. No?

Charles
My remark was but a playful jab - no pointy stick involved.

Wanting the whole box of chocolates is no reason to refuse the piece you are offered.

Incremental steps is how Arthur Murray teaches people to dance.

OC for ME

I will continue to retain this state on my do not visit list no matter the outcome. If MD goes CC shall issue, then does what IL has done afterwards... nope, MDers, I leave you to your own devices...good luck.

Arma1911

Terrific video. I hope it goes viral in MD (and elsewhere). This gentleman should run for office. If I ever meet him I will extend to him a firm handshake and a thank you.

Maverick9

He's talking to a 2A crowd. I do not see any anti-2A, pro-big gubmint groups even turning their ears on if they happened to hear his comments.

If you are 180 degrees the other way, hearing that kind of comments, they think:
1. This guy is a traitor to "the cause"
2. He's been paid off
3. He has a hidden agenda of some kind of retribution
4. He was thrown out of the Holy Order of (whatever), so he's being contrary.

I do not believe people are swayed by valid observation. As he said when he put up information (which to us is clear) his men argued with each other. THAT is at least a start...

But, I do not know what would sway MD. He said the gubnor actually threatened him and his men covertly or indirectly and said 'we're not having this...' and off the record "I don't care what you find".

The leader has a different agenda, totally. It has nothing to do with safety, the value of his citizens, the value of human life...sadly; my opinion.

Great to hear the 'inner workings' from this guy and I hope no harm comes to him.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
He's talking to a 2A crowd.

"Retired Maryland state police officer Captain Jack McCauley gave some powerful testimony to the Maryland Senate in support of Concealed Carry reform...."

I've heard them called a lot of things, but never "a 2A crowd".

Check with MSI and ask them if testimony like his is effective or not. Especially the "special privileges" of The Only Ones while the rest of the citizens are left hung out to dry/swing in the wind.

stay safe.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The East Coast Banned Concealed Carry to protect Organized Crime

This rape victim's testimony is good too. I have a hard time fathoming how the east coast banned 2A.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-why-cant-i-have-a-firearm-to-protect-myself/

It started with the Sullivan act in New York. Big Tim Sullivan was a politician and organized crime figure who wanted to protect his enforcers.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-strange-birth-of-nys-gun.html

At the time, it was assumed that the law would be enforced against immigrants and black people, and that middle class white people would not be bothered.

KBCraig

I support his remarks and salute him for volunteering them before the state senate.

But, much like with LEAP, I find it sad that the courage to speak out only comes once the pension is secured. Heck, LEAP even kicked out their only active-duty police officer member of their speaker's bureau, when he said that he would not arrest anyone for simple marijuana possession. LEAP expected police to enforce laws, not even using discretion, which both the officers and LEAP disagreed with and were working to overturn.

I resigned from LEAP in protest over that, while I was still active duty (but not one of their speakers). Being ineligible for retirement never stopped me from speaking out publicly on this forum and many others, letters to the editor, to my colleagues and supervisors, and to politicians.

Now that I'm retired, I don't think anyone can detect a change in my tone nor my beliefs, whether it's prohibition or gun control.