Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SB17 Allowing Permitted Open Carry Has Just Passed The Texas State Senate

SB17 Allowing Permitted Open Carry Has Just Passed The Texas State Senate

Just now, SB17 was given a final vote in the Texas State Senate and was passed in a 20-10 vote and will now move to the House.

SB 17 has the following amendments:
    1. Effective date of legislation, if passed, will be January 1st, 2016.
    2. Additional training requirements that address open carry and firearm retention specifically will be added to handgun training in regards to licensing.
    3. Open carry will not be allowed in institutes of higher education.

I wonder how the requirements will be handled for those who are renewing their chl. I renew for the 3rd time in 2017, my understanding is it is done online for your 3rd renewal

What was the point of moving the effective date back to January? That and the higher education exemption amendments could be fixed in the house (at the risk of delay past the end of the session) right?

Quote Originally Posted by carstensxdm45 View Post
    I wonder how the requirements will be handled for those who are renewing their chl. I renew for the 3rd time in 2017, my understanding is it is done online for your 3rd renewal
    That's a good point, and how will it affect current holders as well? I think that is left to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
    What was the point of moving the effective date back to January? That and the higher education exemption amendments could be fixed in the house (at the risk of delay past the end of the session) right?
    As I responded in the other thread, the reason that was cited was the DPS requested "more time to prepare" for the bill becoming law. Whatever that means, I have no idea.

As far as changes, any changes to SB17 as it is will delay the progress. I'm not saying I'm against editing this bill as if it passes, I would like to see it without these amendments. However, the Senate will have to approve any changes that the House makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's a good point, and how will it affect current holders as well? I think that is left to be determined.
    The way I read the bill says if you have a permit, you can carry openly or concealed. If you are qualifying for a permit, you will have retention training. So, current permit holders without that training will not be affected as to how they carry.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

As I responded in the other thread, the reason that was cited was the DPS requested "more time to prepare" for the bill becoming law. Whatever that means, I have no idea.

As far as changes, any changes to SB17 as it is will delay the progress. I'm not saying I'm against editing this bill as if it passes, I would like to see it without these amendments. However, the Senate will have to approve any changes that the House makes.
    Yeah that is pretty frustrating. I want it with no amendments, but I don't want to risk delaying it so that it doesn't pass this session.

I have a non-resident Texas CHL as well as a Colorado CHP. I do not see anything in this Senate bill that is a deal breaker.

The January 1, 2016 effective date amounts to WHAT - 90 days delay from the norm..in exchange for the DPS sign on.

The institutions of higher education exception to open carry was always a given.

10 minutes added to a renewal class to talk about retention should not be necessary ...but it undoubtedly is considered necessary.

Main thing is ..get this bill passed.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

Jim Sherwood

KHOU just reported that open carry on college campuses passed the senate today. They didn't cite any specific bill though. I think they got a little confused.

Looks like they might have misread and miscopied the title from their other article...

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local...bill/24984523/
    Last edited by jordanmills; 03-18-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
    KHOU just reported that open carry on college campuses passed the senate today. They didn't cite any specific bill though. I think they got a little confused.

Looks like they might have misread and miscopied the title from their other article...

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local...bill/24984523/
    Honestly I think most news organizations have been confused. Almost everybody was reporting that open carry passed the Senate a day before it actually did.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Honestly I think most news organizations have been confused. Almost everybody was reporting that open carry passed the Senate a day before it actually did.
    Yeah, the legislative process can be pretty confusing for those, including myself, that don't have a ton of experience with it. Perhaps a few that do have experience even find it confusing from time to time.
    Advocate freedom please

Campaign Veteran
    I haven't read the bill yet, but does anyone have any idea if an out of state(Arizona) CCW license will cover open carry in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    I haven't read the bill yet, but does anyone have any idea if an out of state(Arizona) CCW license will cover open carry in Texas?
    It was specifically stated in the Senate that SB17 will not affect or alter reciprocity in any way with other states.

It means they have to hire more troopers to harass open carriers and to come up with create ways to determine probable cause to stop said carriers to examine their papers. I hope you guys enjoy your new "freedom".

Centurion

There is an old Joke about a Complaint box in Heaven.

Hey jsimmons, what is your problem? Don't like what is being served fine but don't spit in everyone else's food!!
    In the Joke, it says, some people are not happy unless they can complain.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    In the Joke, it says, some people are not happy unless they can complain.
    I myself think is a big step in the right direction

Come on now gentlemen, we can have a civil discussion without personal attacks. We're all gun people here.

His problem is it is all or nothing, you will be hard pressed to find anything perfect, perfect becomes the enemy of good, we refuse it because it is not perfect, constitutional carry is the goal, take what you can get and fight for more later

I certainly understand that and I agree with you that an all or nothing attitude is seemingly not going to help us get what we ultimately want. Sometimes you have to play the game.

All I'm saying is you can attack the man's view points without having to attack the man.

jsimmons, what would you suggest we do differently and how would we go about it?

In the sophomoric, immature world of youthful aspersions, everything is perfect, losers lose with no retort, winners win total victory with no compromise s, everything works out perfectly, in real, mature living, it is not that clear cut,
    In life you win some and lose some, take what victory you can and build on that later.

Hey jsimmons, what is your problem? Don't like what is being served fine but don't spit in everyone else's food!!
    "Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. "

You might have a problem. They need to add "concealed" in front of handgun. Georgia LE agencies weren't obeying court precedent and so the legislature had to make it explicit that stopping for carry, in and of itself, was not permissible.
    Last edited by 77zach; 03-26-2015 at 02:02 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

His problem is it is all or nothing, you will be hard pressed to find anything perfect, perfect becomes the enemy of good, we refuse it because it is not perfect, constitutional carry is the goal, take what you can get and fight for more later
    I'd make a minor edit to this, not changing the overall air of it but just a detail which might or might not be critical in some circumstances...

Instead of saying to take what we can get and fight for more later, I'd say, fight for what's right now and all the time, while taking what is given along the way.

Never stop, or delay, or pause the fight for true constitutional carry, but certainly don't deny more liberty simply because it isn't full liberty.

I don't subscribe to the constitutional carry or bust mentality, but I don't want to stop fighting for constitutional carry.

I know this isn't a contradiction to your post, I was just using your post as a launching point, so to speak
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    "Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. "

You might have a problem. They need to add "concealed" in front of handgun. Georgia LE agencies weren't obeying court precedent and so the legislature had to make it explicit that stopping for carry, in and of itself, was not permissible.
    I am curious to see what comes of this section, if anything, when open carry takes effect. The penalty was apparently removed, while the section remains on the books, whatever that means.
    Advocate freedom please

Stealthy, you are absolutely correct, thanks for the backup

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    ...snip...

Never stop, or delay, or pause the fight for true constitutional carry, but certainly don't deny more liberty simply because it isn't full liberty.

I don't subscribe to the constitutional carry or bust mentality, but I don't want to stop fighting for constitutional carry.

...snip...
    Agree totally! It may not be what I really want but I'll take it this time around...especially after the disappointments of the previous sessions. Fingers crossed, if anything, this will help the case for constitutional carry in two years--once people start seeing open carriers and see that we're not taking each other out at high noon every day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast