Thread: Hb 910

Hb 910

As I watch for my very first time the House in action and the committee hearing I have to wonder what if any impact this testimony from citizens will have upon the committee vote. It seems like a never ending number of the same statements either for it or against it, with a sprinkling of "huh?" thrown in such as OC impacting funding for cancer research, or how an incident of domestic violence wouldn't have been avoided by OC,band so on. Honestly, I have to give the committee their due for for the most part seeming to be paying attention.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

How do we watch ourselves if we can't make it in person?

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    As I watch for my very first time the House in action and the committee hearing I have to wonder what if any impact this testimony from citizens will have upon the committee vote. It seems like a never ending number of the same statements either for it or against it, with a sprinkling of "huh?" thrown in such as OC impacting funding for cancer research, or how an incident of domestic violence wouldn't have been avoided by OC,band so on. Honestly, I have to give the committee their due for for the most part seeming to be paying attention.
    I watched the Senate committee that heard testimony from SB17 and it was pretty similar to the testimony we are seeing here for HB 910. I even recognize a lot of the same people. Despite all testimony, all the Republicans in the Senate committee voted for it, and all the Democrats in the committee voted against it.

In this committee, 6 out of the 9 members are Republicans. Out of those 6, two are primary authors (including the committee chairman) and two are co-authors.

I'd say this is pretty much a sure thing to get through this committee.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    How do we watch ourselves if we can't make it in person?
    http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/

If you look under Homeland Security & Public Safety, you will find the live feed there.

Here goes day two of testimony. Off to a good start so far.

My bad, didn't double check the date. Anyone have any info on where we are at with HB 910?
    Last edited by Ian; 03-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My bad, didn't double check the date. Anyone have any info on where we are at with HB 910?

Well, it was left pending yesterday, but there's no upcoming meeting scheduled for the Homeland Security committee. Possibly it and HB 937 were left pending in the absence of a quorum, as by the end of the meeting nearly half the members were gone. My best guess would be that they heard the passage of SB 17 during their adjournment and decided to leave at least 910 pending to determine the best course forward. Probably substituting SB 17 and its amendments for 910 in recommendation for passage.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy View Post
    Well, it was left pending yesterday, but there's no upcoming meeting scheduled for the Homeland Security committee. Possibly it and HB 937 were left pending in the absence of a quorum, as by the end of the meeting nearly half the members were gone. My best guess would be that they heard the passage of SB 17 during their adjournment and decided to leave at least 910 pending to determine the best course forward. Probably substituting SB 17 and its amendments for 910 in recommendation for passage.
    That would be excellent. I just saw the update from SB17 that it was handed off to the House so I guess we'll see. One thing I've noticed from watching the legislature so closely these past few months is by Wednesday they're usually ready to leave for the weekend so I'm not really hopeful that we'll see anything this week on that.

The House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety is set to have another hearing tomorrow morning the 24th @ 8am. Hopefully they will either continue with HB910 or just take SB17 and recommend that directly to the House.