• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you need a retention holster to open carry safely?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
...I'm thinking that a retention holster might not be a bad idea, having myself become separated from my bike through no fault of my own. Luckily, I was wearing my carry gun concealed that day in a shoulder holster under my armored jacket, so my S&W Model 13 remained with me. (Yeah, I'm a gear guy - boots, helmet, armored jacket.)

It worked for you, and I'm glad. But that does not mean that everybody else must use a holster that uses more than friction to retain the handgun.

If we went down that road we'd end up with Retention Level XXXIV.cm just so those persons who seem to drop their gun out of their purse/jacket pocket in the public restrooms would not need to worry about the handgun "just going off" when it hit the floor.

If you find that a holster that uses only friction to hold/retain your handgun does not work for you, by all means go for something with additional retention features. But don't tell me what I need to do, OK?

stay safe.

Fallschirjmäger

"Need"? No.
But you don't 'need' ABS, seat belts, traction control, crumple zones, or tires with tread to drive. They're all highly recommended though.

It all depends on circumstances and surroundings; if you have no one around you, then you're unlikely to be subject to a snatch'n'grab.

Personally, I have a Safariland ALS retention holster bolstered with an accessory guard.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
So what's your take, guys?

Me:
0. Mexican carry, shove it in the pants, no belt = if that floats yer boat, g'head. Just don't drop it down your trouser leg and shoot yernuts off, bro.
1. Uncle Mike's = nope; gun falls out on its own.
2. Kydex formfitting snap in = depending on where you carry, reasonable.
3. Nate 2 Squared polycarbonate IWB, but no cover garment = Not bad, not bad at all. Gotta twist it the 'wrong way' to get it out.
4. Thumb press kydex (as in video) = sure, again, depending on where you carry. If too far back, hard to access could be an issue.
5. Double retention = prob. too much.
6. Triple retention = only for professionals, LE, FIB, CAI, BTAF; guys who run -to- the fight.

What worries me sometimes is the typical Walmart stance, hunched over the cart in the checkout line. I've had older ladies 'count coup' on me (I was carrying concealed under the arm at the time). I didn't even know the lady and she comes up and pats my back or shoulder telling me it was hot outside or cold or something. Middle aged ladies like to paw me for some crazy reason, in Walmart. "I don't KNOW YOU, ma'am".

Thoughts?
Quadruple retention so none of those guys and gals hurt themselves or anyone else....

Fallschirjmäger

You got a citation on a snatch'n'grab?
Hmm,, well... NJ gun grab story and maybe NM Man attempts to grab gun from officer's holster. I would posit that neither of those would happen if there were no people around to do the grabbin, what do you think?

I didn't think I needed a citation when I said it was an unlikely event when there was no one around to do so. It's my opinion that it's more likely to happen when there are people around than when there aren't.

Do I really need a citation to say you're less likely to be sneezed upon when there is no one around to sneeze than when there are people around?

Last edited:

Elm Creek Smith

It worked for you, and I'm glad. But that does not mean that everybody else must use a holster that uses more than friction to retain the handgun.

If we went down that road we'd end up with Retention Level XXXIV.cm just so those persons who seem to drop their gun out of their purse/jacket pocket in the public restrooms would not need to worry about the handgun "just going off" when it hit the floor.

If you find that a holster that uses only friction to hold/retain your handgun does not work for you, by all means go for something with additional retention features. But don't tell me what I need to do, OK?

stay safe.

Hmm. I don't recall ever saying that everybody else must do anything. Nor did I ever tell you what you need to do. I mentioned that if one rides a motorcycle while open carrying that it might be a good idea to use a retention holster while doing so.

Geez.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hmm. I don't recall ever saying

Chillax, bro. Seems to be a misunderstanding between you about whom my comment was addressed to. Rest assured it was not you.

If I need to explain my post, it was about the difference between personal preference and the OP's use of the term "need". Your post was but a handy hook to hang the point on - once more.

stay safe.

FTG-05

I OC my S&W 329PD and my Sig Sauer P226 with two versions of the Safariland 568 Friction Fit Paddle holster all the time on my farm and around town doing whatever. They have all the retention that I need.

Anyone who says I need some other holster with more retention simply because I OC can ***. I'm getting pretty ******** tired of OC Fudds lecturing us about OCing.

:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Momokahn

I OC my S&W 329PD and my Sig Sauer P226 with two versions of the Safariland 568 Friction Fit Paddle holster all the time on my farm and around town doing whatever. They have all the retention that I need.

Anyone who says I need some other holster with more retention simply because I OC can ***. I'm getting pretty ******* tired of OC Fudds lecturing us about OCing.

:banghead:

Couldn't have said it better......Amen!

Last edited by a moderator:

stealthyeliminator

First, let's clarify "retention" - unless your handgun is floating in the air whatever holster you are using is retaining it.
I am envisioning a magnet holster. Just strap the magnet to your belt and place your gun up next to it, voila. lol, I kid, of course.

Chief Ten Beers

I have several different holsters that I can use for various guns. For my single action revolvers I use Buscadero holsters, and for semi-auto I have Fobus, nylon, leather, and Serpa holsters. :banana:

WalkingWolf

Kinda kewl, but I don't think that is what he was talking about. Though not a magnet something more like this. The bridgeport holsterless attachment.

Which could work with a powerful magnet, as long as the gun is steel. I would prefer a replica of the original bridgeport though.

8788075_1.jpg

Colt_Peacemaker_Pistol_and_Bridgeport_Rig.jpg

Last edited:

solus

Certainly tactikewl, especially that one handed slide rack while pointing at the family jewels. Neat idea, but I would not carry my sidearm that way, but everybody knows I am a little different.:rolleyes:

WW, you keep your jewels somewhere else?

ipse

The Truth

I carry my Sig P229 in a black leather The Masters's Level I pancake holster (also carry my G20 in it around the house), my g20 stays in a Gould & Goodrich Level II black leather pancake holster in public, and my .460R roughs it in a Blackhawk Level II for now until I get a quote back from Wright Leather Works for a custom Level I pancake ;) I hope he'll do it.

I personally like a Level I better. Also you'll notice the 2 pistols I carry in Level II holsters are single action only pistols. There are a lot of factors including the environment you plan to carry and also what condition you carry your pistol.