• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RVA OC Breakfast Sat 9:30 AM 3/21 - Nick's Roman Terrace 8501 W Broad St Rd

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Grapeshot claims he will be playing soccer grandpa tomorrow so we are on our own. Just let there not be pictures.

Seeing as we do not have to worry about whinging, and seeing as how a certain someone has been jonesing for bisquits with sausage gravy, and seeing as how there is a train - it's Nick's Roman Terrace.

The weather folks are saying low-to-mid 40s around breakfast time, warming up to around 60 in the afternoon. Might be a good idea to wear a jacket.

stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

scouser

guess since there's a train I'd better bring him, also helps that it's so close to home for me

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No soccer - field to wet to play zee game.

Daresay I that I shall I be where the talk will be about thee, if you're not there.

scouser

No soccer - field to wet to play zee game.

Daresay I that I shall I be where the talk will be about thee, if you're not there.

"field too wet" .. they gotta learn to play in mud as well, ball slows down and stops much sooner, and it makes slide-tackles easier (well until you try to stop ... in my youth I played 5-a-side and was in goal on an outdoor all weather pitch.. was pouring with rain and i slid down to take the ball from an opposing players feet, I got the ball in my arms but kept on sliding on the wet astroturf until I was stopped by the wall at the edge of the field. I think it was about 5 minutes before everyone stopped laughing enough to be able to resume play)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"field too wet" .. they gotta learn to play in mud as well, ball slows down and stops much sooner, and it makes slide-tackles easier (well until you try to stop ... in my youth I played 5-a-side and was in goal on an outdoor all weather pitch.. was pouring with rain and i slid down to take the ball from an opposing players feet, I got the ball in my arms but kept on sliding on the wet astroturf until I was stopped by the wall at the edge of the field. I think it was about 5 minutes before everyone stopped laughing enough to be able to resume play)

Here we don't tackle in soccer - at least not in his age group. It's not rugby or 'Merican football. That'll earn you at least a yellow card.

va_tazdad

Mud??? Hahahahahahahahaha Try playing on a frozen field while it is snowing. I played Halfback and spent half the game getting back on my feet after sliding.

Virginia weather in November is much nicer than New York. ;>)

va_tazdad

My buddies, my friends, my compatriots, ALL conspired with the waitress (and Tony and Cathy the owners) to attempt to ruin breakfast. After walking in and being greeted by Logan, my BFF, the waitress informed me they were out of their famous Nick's rolls, but that I could still get sausage gravy on a biscuit. I informed her that it just wasn't the same.

They played this right up til I ordered something else from the menu, and the whole group led by the waitress, started laughing at me as I settled for something else.

Happily, I was able to have my regular breakfast. Let's just hope the trauma they caused is temporary. When I told my wife what they did, she laughed as hard as they did.

;>)