Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open carry group killed

open carry group killed

Uggh! Head on. Somebody was in the wrong, somebody was in the wrong lane.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Not good. I liked those kids.

As the article says, they were on their way to do activism with us. I had spoken to Jason many times on the phone because he wanted to tap into all my years of this stuff for input about how to keep things together for an activist group. Our organizations were planning on working and collaborating together in various ways for a long time to come, and had been looking forward to tomorrow for months.

I am beside myself with sadness and survivors guilt. The liberty community has lost 4 very good friends with promising ability to help change things. It is such a tragic waste. Anyone here who was lucky enough to know them has my very sincerest sympathy.

Also for whatever it may be worth, anyone else here who knew them and maybe worked with them at some point, if you want to directly continue their work and network with us on national projects, we are certainly down.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-20-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Sad news indeed. I hope their families can find peace.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Deepest sympathy and condolences to their family and many friends.

This is a loss to all Virginian's.

Somewhere there will be a service - I feel the need to attend.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

RIP and condolences to the Family. Very sad.

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

This is a huge loss. Grape if you attend please express our sympathy.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    That wreckage is insane. Anyone on any given day.
    So terrible and sad.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Very sad indeed.

Car and semi's are not a good mix I have investigated dozens of crash's like this the cars never win.

The amount of damage that is done to both is some times just amazing.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The greater mass of the tractor/trailer combo leaves the smaller vehicle at a serious disadvantage.

The truck driver is above the point of impact, the lower, smaller vehicle is the point of impact.

This tragedy has effected many, far and wide.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The greatest disadvantage is in a collision between identical masses. The lighter passenger vehicle with lower momentum to be conserved recoils more easily. MVA Extraction 101.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

As far as I have seen, the media coverage of this horrible accident has been fair and neutral from the gun rights perspective. The couple I have seen do say they have been controversial in their methods to support gun rights, but not critical. Maybe even the liberal press has limits?

Group known for open carry marches in Carytown die in head-on collision

It will be interesting to watch the gun-hater social media. I've never seen any evidence that they have decency filters for their propaganda.

TFred

My deepest sympathies. I see that these were younger folks, and their route to Michigan included a goodly stretch of two lane U.S. highway where the incident occurred. I wonder how accustomed to driving roads like that versus interstates they were ? For example, passing a slower vehicle is a much more problematic event on a two laner rather than the multiple lanes of an interstate.

While everybody would like to know how it happened/why it happened knowing that is not going to change the fact that we lost four staunch supporters of the practice of open carry. Some might even say that speculating on the cause takes away from the loss the gun community is experiencing.

Think good thoughts about them and for comfort to those they left behind. Stay alert for news of any funeral/memorial service(s) and decide how you will respond. Those of you who do social media please keep us who do not advised of what's happening there.

In closing I'd like to share a little exchange I had going in to our weekly OC breakfast this morning -- all of the waitstaff had heard about the incident and wanted to know if they were one of us - meaning the fairly regular group who meet there for breakfast. They know one guy because he eats there very often. They know the name of the 5-year old who comes with his father because he (the kid) is cute. They know the others to recognize us when we come in (maybe every 5-6 weeks) but not by name and may not recognize us if they ran into us elsewhere. But to them we are the face of open carry, and they read in the papers that the four did open carry awareness in another part of town. To them we were all connected.

Let us stay connected.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Heart is heavy with sadness at the loss. My condolences to all who knew or are related to these fine folks.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 03-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If there is an afterlife, we have four people fighting diligently for our rights there now. Rest in peace gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    If there is an afterlife, we have four people fighting diligently for our rights there now. Rest in peace gentlemen.
    reading some facebook posts from a couple of the guys, it's my understanding that at least 2 of them believe in an afterlife.

It was saddening reading some of the things they recently said knowing what had happened to them. I noticed one of them had only changed his facebook status to "in a relationship with xxxx xxxx" just this very week, hard to imagine how this will affect the girl he left behind so early in their relationship. I'm not saying her loss is any different to any possible long term partners or blood relatives of the other men but so early in a relationship people are on such a high from meeting someone it's such a long way to fall.

I didn't know these young men but they were not strangers, they were just friends I never got to meet.

I agree with skid, this isn't the place to speculate on the hows wheres and whys, we'll never really know all the facts so speculating serves no purpose

We had a good event today in Detroit, tragically without our unmet friends, hopefully tomorrow will be as good too. Several of us took our guns off and drank a few shots of Cognac in their honor after the walk, which I found interesting in that it seemed to make the pain of knowing what happened worse rather than better.

It still doesn't seem real.

Scouser, indeed at least two were highly reverent Christians. All 4 were exceptional people; top tier activists from a very small and tight knit community who were in it for all the right reasons. If there is a heaven I am confident they are already there.
    Last edited by Michigander; 03-21-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

If anyone wants to donate to help cover their final expenses, here is a link.

http://www.gofundme.com/phbdp4

open carry group killed

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    If anyone wants to donate to help cover their final expenses, here is a link.

http://www.gofundme.com/phbdp4
    Donation made, hope many others chip in too. I can only imagine how hard it is on their families, let alone having to worry about the costs involved in funeral services.

"There but for the grace of God, go I"
    This could have happened to any of us.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-22-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Just saw this. A great loss to their loved ones who will now feel the void left behind by the smiles they will no longer see, the laughter they will no longer share, as well as being a loss to "our" shared community.

Though I did not know them, they were my brothers.

No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a Clod be washed away by the Sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a Promontory were, as well as if a Manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
    -- John Donne
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 03-22-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Sympathies to their families.

Per the CBS 6 story:
    Because Spitzer’s car was carrying a number of rifles, federal authorities got involved after the crash to find out what they were all about.
    We are the government and we are here to help you??????

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post

Per the CBS 6 story:

Terrists, dontchaknow.

And besides, if the Alphabet Agencies step in the locals wil not have to deal with returning the firearms* to the families - or not.

As well as pushing Gun=Baad/Gun=Dangerous at the public.

stay safe.

Make out a will, folks! If your state allows holographic (handwritten) wills you can do it on the back of a shopping bag and have it witnessed by 2 people who are not beneficiaries of the will. "When I die all my stuff goes to my father (best to insert his name here) to dispose of as he feels appropriate." If your parent(s) are getting up there in age, saddle a friend with the responsibility. This avoids the lengthy process of probating an intestate estate. Just make sure everyone necessary knows where the original is - and that it's not in some place like a safe deposit box that only you can get into. Go file a copy of the will with the Clerk of Records and get them to run off a few Certified True Copy sheets that you can leave with other folks.

We now return to mourning our losses.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post

Per the CBS 6 story:

In the VCDL Alert Philip tears into the Sheriff for calling in the feds. Good on Philip and VCDL.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast