• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry group killed

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Sympathies to their families.

Per the CBS 6 story:
Because Spitzer’s car was carrying a number of rifles, federal authorities got involved after the crash to find out what they were all about.
We are the government and we are here to help you??????

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sympathies to their families.

Per the CBS 6 story:

We are the government and we are here to help you??????

Terrists, dontchaknow.

And besides, if the Alphabet Agencies step in the locals wil not have to deal with returning the firearms* to the families - or not.

As well as pushing Gun=Baad/Gun=Dangerous at the public.

stay safe.

Make out a will, folks! If your state allows holographic (handwritten) wills you can do it on the back of a shopping bag and have it witnessed by 2 people who are not beneficiaries of the will. "When I die all my stuff goes to my father (best to insert his name here) to dispose of as he feels appropriate." If your parent(s) are getting up there in age, saddle a friend with the responsibility. This avoids the lengthy process of probating an intestate estate. Just make sure everyone necessary knows where the original is - and that it's not in some place like a safe deposit box that only you can get into. Go file a copy of the will with the Clerk of Records and get them to run off a few Certified True Copy sheets that you can leave with other folks.

We now return to mourning our losses.

solus

Terrists, dontchaknow.

And besides, if the Alphabet Agencies step in the locals wil not have to deal with returning the firearms* to the families - or not.

As well as pushing Gun=Baad/Gun=Dangerous at the public.

stay safe.

Make out a will, folks! If your state allows holographic (handwritten) wills you can do it on the back of a shopping bag and have it witnessed by 2 people who are not beneficiaries of the will. "When I die all my stuff goes to my father (best to insert his name here) to dispose of as he feels appropriate." If your parent(s) are getting up there in age, saddle a friend with the responsibility. This avoids the lengthy process of probating an intestate estate. Just make sure everyone necessary knows where the original is - and that it's not in some place like a safe deposit box that only you can get into. Go file a copy of the will with the Clerk of Records and get them to run off a few Certified True Copy sheets that you can leave with other folks.

We now return to mourning our losses.

good advice skid, but one addendum to it: generate medical power of attorneys specifically spelling out with identifying numbers, e.g., DL # and phone numbers, who can make detailed medical decisions, DNR, etc., if you are unable to as well as decisions regarding handling of your remains, especially based on religious practices as well as personal. (as in life i want to go out in a blaze of fire and not be an experiment for med students!)

additionally, parents and other 'loved' ones might not be emotionally equipped to 'pull the plug' if your quality of life would less then optimum in accordance with the medical attending. I would rather my loved ones remember me as i am now, verses seeing me marginally alive and then my loved ones are told the prognosis is poor and then have them pull the plug or worse, not pull the plug.

CARRY THESE DOCUMENTS IN YOUR WALLET!!

everyone as shown, we are prepared for armageddon but not planned out our final hours and immediately afterwards.

ipse

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
good advice skid, but one addendum to it: generate medical power of attorneys specifically spelling out with identifying numbers, e.g., DL # and phone numbers, who can make detailed medical decisions, DNR, etc., if you are unable to as well as decisions regarding handling of your remains, especially based on religious practices as well as personal. (as in life i want to go out in a blaze of fire and not be an experiment for med students!)

additionally, parents and other 'loved' ones might not be emotionally equipped to 'pull the plug' if your quality of life would less then optimum in accordance with the medical attending. I would rather my loved ones remember me as i am now, verses seeing me marginally alive and then my loved ones are told the prognosis is poor and then have them pull the plug or worse, not pull the plug.

CARRY THESE DOCUMENTS IN YOUR WALLET!!

everyone as shown, we are prepared for armageddon but not planned out our final hours and immediately afterwards.

ipse

Gotta laugh at that one Solas. I've carried a medical power of attorney and living will in my wallet for 10 years. Last summer as I was being prepped for surgery I'd been told there was a 50 percent chance I wasn't coming out of....I handed it to the nurse who looked at it and said..."we don't take these".

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gotta laugh at that one Solas. I've carried a medical power of attorney and living will in my wallet for 10 years. Last summer as I was being prepped for surgery I'd been told there was a 50 percent chance I wasn't coming out of....I handed it to the nurse who looked at it and said..."we don't take these".
Do you haz a video or at least a voice recording of that?

No? She was probably talking about you, in your condition, not the papers from your wallet.

HPmatt

In the VCDL Alert Philip tears into the Sheriff for calling in the feds. Good on Philip and VCDL.

So does the Ohio Sheriff that called in the Feds also do that during hunting season when hunters get killed in similar accidents?

Condolences the families of these young men. Hope they are all with Christ today.

The Truth

Such a devastating accident. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. Couldn't have happened to a more dedicated group. RIP.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Thank goodness you made it, or The Keeper would have gone from being married to a broke-butt old grouch to being a rich widow.

Stuff in your wallet is good if someone finds it. Mostly an ER is going to look for your driver's license to see if you are an organ donor - if EMS has not alredy removed it and given it to the cops for identification or assisting in notifying next of kin.

Services like Medic Alert allow you to upload durable power of attorney and living will images. ERs are more likely to check there than in your wallet for medical info, and you can engrave their dogtags/bracelets with something like "medical power of attorney & living will on file". It may be worth the annual fee for that even if you are otherwise in good health.

Solus makes a good point. We carry not because we expect something bad to happen but in case it does. We prep for what to do after a shooting in terms of dealing with the law. We prep our families with life insurance.

stay safe.

solus

my MPA gives life/death decisions as well as immediate control over my remains to an individual who is not within my immediate family structure and the immediate family is aware this individual will not listen to emotionalized thoughts on keeping me on machines for any reason.

During one schedule medical procedure I had the principle doctor refuse to do the semi risky cardio procedure because I told him if I pass on the table, he only have 'one' shot at bringing me back. if that fails the attending will cease all extraordinary measures to revive me. chief of surgery got involved and assured me my wishes would be adhered to. Kudos to their skill, as much to the chagrin of some on the forum, I am still alive and kicking due to their diligence in the theater.

while aware of your medical emergency tho not privy to specifics, the hospital violated their joint commission accreditation policies and for future information, you need to immediately contact the medical facility's accreditation chair for resolution. a hospital rep who fulfills this positon 'should' be on site or capable of immediate contact 27/7.

Skid, you brought up a weakness I had considered and felt I was appropriately covered so I will investigate the med-alert path to see if that bridges this possible gap.

ipse

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Planning advice: If you have ANY property in your name (real estate, titled vehicles, etc.), change your deed, mortgage, title or other documents to add a beneficiary/survivorship/transfer-on-death clause.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Many young and/or single folks do not have an estate worth worrying about. Unless there are NFA items (that should have been taken care of when setting up the trust) the most survivors may need to be concerned about is the existence of a decent inventory so that all firearms are accounted for - even if they are broken or burned.

As folks get older and accumulate more stuff[SUP]1[/SUP] (property both persaonal and real, family, money/securities) it becomes more "necessary" to attend to these sorts of details.

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_QkGPCL18 (mildly NSFW)

utbagpiper

Banned
Make out a will, folks!

My condolences to all their loved ones.

To add a bit to skid's good advice, get some life insurance. Even if you have no dependents, funerals and/or other final arrangements tend to cost some money (unless you have made arrangements to donate your body to science) and we should avoid saddling our loved ones with this. If you have any property you'd like to pass along--say maybe some interesting guns, or even items of sentimental value that also have tangible value--you'll need enough life insurance to cover your debts and final medical expenses or your estate may need to be liquidated to satisfy what debt it can. If you do have dependents, the loss of your income--and even the childcare and other work you provide to a household even if you are not working a job that brings in income--can add significant financial hardship to your loved ones on top of the emotional loss. What would it cost most families to replace the childcare, meals prep, and other work performed by a homemaker?

Term life insurance is cheap enough that nobody who isn't living on the street destitute should be without adequate term life insurance. Most policies allow you to add a $10k rider for dependent children for something like a buck of month. That will allow you to bury a child should you ever have to do so.

At one time, I thought the life insurance provided through my employer was sufficient. Then I got laid off and realized that if I got killed on the drive home my family was going to be in a world in hurt. I still max out my employer provided life insurance. It is a great bargain. But I also maintain enough life insurance through privately purchased term policies that my family won't be left destitute if I get killed driving home the next time I get caught in a downsizing.

Charles

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Planning advice: If you have ANY property in your name (real estate, titled vehicles, etc.), change your deed, mortgage, title or other documents to add a beneficiary/survivorship/transfer-on-death clause.

Good advice and long since done.