• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry group killed

Evil Creamsicle

They're posting information that they have on the Right to Bear Arms, Richmond Virginia facebook page, but presently there is only information available for Jason Spitzer III, which is as follows:

~ Arrangements for Jason Spitzer ~
"The funeral will be held at Hyles Baptist Church in Chesterfield VA. The date is set for the 28th time TBA. There will be a viewing the Friday the 27th proceeding at blileys funeral home on hull street near Chippenham time TBA but most likely in the evening."

ChristCrusader

~ Latest Arrangements for David Alexander Armstrong ~

Latest info for David Alexander Armstrong, posted on RtBAR FB page:

~ Latest Arrangements for David Alexander Armstrong ~
"Memorial service to be held on April 7, at 7pm, at Blileys Furneral home, 8510 Staplesmill Rd. Will also poted be in the Richmond Times Dispatch, on Blileys web sight, on David Alexanders Memorial facebook page. Also in Glenn Matthew Armstrong & David Stephens Facebook."

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bliley+Funeral+Homes/@37.62833,-77.506645,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x22f833760cb6c550

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tentative info for David Alexander Armstrong, posted on RtBAR FB page:
~ Arrangements for David Alexander Armstrong ~
"Memorial service to be held at Blileys Furneral home on Staplesmill Rd. Date to be determined will be after March 31 for sure. When eveything is known will be in the Richmond Times Dispatch, on Blileys web sight, on David Alexanders Memorial facebook page. Also in Glenn Matthew Armstrong & David Stephens Facebook."
Please post links w/information when available, so that anyone desirous of attending these will not miss the opportunity.

Last edited:

ChristCrusader

~ Latest Arrangements for Jimmy Higgins ~

~ Latest Arrangements for Jimmy Higgins ~

Stephanie Higgins Christmas: "A memorial service is scheduled for Jimmy on Wednesday, April 1st at 11am. St. Ann Catholic Church, Colonial Heights, Va.

"There will be a reception afterwards.

"It's a casual affair, no need for anyone to be dressed in suits. Business casual, jeans, whatever.. Jimmy wouldn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable"

*No open carry available.

Edit to amend, release of Jimmy's obituary:
James "Jimmy" Francis Higgins of Colonial Heights, Virginia, lost his life in a car accident on Friday, March 20. He was 24 years old, just two days shy of his 25th birthday.

Jimmy was born on March 22, 1990, in Warwick New York and grew up in Colonial Heights, Virginia. He graduated from Colonial Heights High School in 2009. He had recently received his Private Investigator license and was looking forward to starting his practice. He was passionate about liberty and protecting the rights defined in our constitution. He played an active role in organizations such as the Right to Bear Arms Richmond and he led the Petersburg/Colonial Heights division for Virginia Cop Block.Through these organizations, he gained new friends and educated many on their rights.

On Sunday, March 22, life-long friends gathered to celebrate his 25th birthday and on Monday, March 23, many members of the community came together at White Bank Park in Colonial Heights to celebrate Jimmy and the hope to "pass the baton" so that his legacy of helping those in need continues.

Jimmy is survived by his parents, Sean and Patricia (of Colonial Heights), and siblings, John (of Suffolk, Va), Jennifer (of Boston, Ma), Stephanie (of Chesterfield, Va) and Charlie (of San Clemente, Ca). He is also survived by his extended family of brothers and sisters-in law, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins. He also leaves behind his beloved dog Cerberus and a wealth of friends.

A Memorial Mass will be held on Wednesday, April 1, at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Colonial Heights at 11 a.m. with a reception to follow. All are welcome to attend.

Jimmy was loved by his family and friends and will be missed.

Published in The Progress-Index from Mar. 29 to Mar. 30, 2015
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/progress-index/obituary.aspx?n=james-f-higgins&pid=174512370&

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are two events at which I do not open carry = weddings and funeral/memorial services. I don't want my OC to take any of the focus away from the real reason people are there.

ChristCrusader

~ Latest Arrangements for Jason Spitzer ~

~ Latest Arrangements for Jason Spitzer ~

Jason's obituary:
http://m.richmond.com/obituaries/article_ed9e609f-dafb-5948-bdf1-a017ada7b36c.html?mode=jqm

Last edited:

The Truth

No OC at the funeral? The late activists would probably want people to OC anyway, don't ya think?

ChristCrusader

No OC at the funeral? The late activists would probably want people to OC anyway, don't ya think?
It does seem to fly in the face of their passion that they had.
But Jimmy's service and reception is in a Catholic Church.
His family told me no open carry.
I didn't question her, but it's possibly a policy of the venue.

Since they aren't alive to insist, what they would have wanted is now subjugated to the will of the grieving sensitivities of the family, so I'll sublimate my OC urges of comradery with my fallen compatriots into CC practice, and wait for or create other opportunity(s) to act out our common cause in memoriam.

A memorial Day walk is still planned on Cary Street, now possibly with the Michigan group they were driving to meet. Hopefully sometime there will be an open carry moment wherever they're interred, Lord willing.
This is their families' time.
We should create our own later while graciously accepting their invitation as offered.

Last edited:

ChristCrusader

I do plan on going, Lord willing.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1442217686068905/
  • Monday, May 25at 11:00am - 4:00pm
    "2908 W Cary St Richmond, VA 23221 United States / witch is the parking garge of the byrd theather in cary town richmond va
    this is the one year anniversary of The Right to Bear Arms Richmond, Virginia. And is the walk that started our group. we will be passing out flyers, open carrying long guns and handguns. If concealed carry is more your thing. this that is ok also. if you don't own a gun but you still support what we are doing. come and walk with us. This walk is also to remember the men and woman that died for rights and freedoms. so come a join us this Memorial Day. And do something patriotic with our freedoms that were payed with that long thick red line in blood."

"meeting area info. we will be meeting up at the Byrd theater parking garage in Cary Town Richmond VA. this is were we park if we are in the area. how ever on week days there is parking time there. so please park somewhere that you will not get ticked or towed. we will be walking on carry street for a few laps. as this is were the founder Jason Spitzer III started when we was walking solo. then we will be walking as far as we want to in Richmond."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What The Crusader said.
There is a time to make a statement and a time to be respectful of his family's wishes.

wrearick

Please let us know....as a Michigan Transplant I would be interested in a meet n greet. I open carried the whole time I was back home visiting (Madison Heights and Gaylord) in Nov for deer hunting and had no problems or issues.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
BUMP - MEMORIAL SERVICE TONIGHT

They're posting information that they have on the Right to Bear Arms, Richmond Virginia facebook page, but presently there is only information available for Jason Spitzer III, which is as follows:

~ Arrangements for Jason Spitzer ~
"The funeral will be held at Hyles Baptist Church in Chesterfield VA. The date is set for the 28th time TBA. There will be a viewing the Friday the 27th proceeding at blileys funeral home on hull street near Chippenham time TBA but most likely in the evening."

5 to 8 tonight.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
icon4.png
It's official - funds needed

Attended the memorial service for Jason Spitzer III this evening with hundreds of others. It was gut wrenching, but did meet some really good people.

http://wtvr.com/2015/03/20/group-kno...-on-collision/

Spoke to two members of the immediate family including his mother and there is no question but that help would be greatly appreciated. Hard times have been made harder for them. This is where we can do something positive in memory of these four activists.

Accordingly a Paypal account will be set up shortly to receive and dispurse funds in as equitable manner as possible.

Dedicated thread - please donate what you can.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?129450-It-s-official-funds-needed

Last edited: