• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OCer from Dumfries VA

Adamk911

Hello to all fellow OCers,

My name is Adam just bought my SIG P250 and OC'ed for the first time last weekend.

Got a bunch of dirty looks from others shopping in Target

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello to all fellow OCers,

My name is Adam just bought my SIG P250 and OC'ed for the first time last weekend.

Got a bunch of dirty looks from others shopping in Target
Welcome to OCDO Adam.

Most have never gotten a dirty look while OCing in Target, Walmart, or a majority of other places for that matter.

The way has been paved for you :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Second the welcome.

Remember you are the Good Guy[SUP]TM[/SUP] they will all come running to, looking for someone to save them, when things go all pear-shaped.

Smile. Nod. Like Caesar Milan says, "No talk, no touch, no eye contact." Don't want to give them an excuse. (Speaking of which, do you have a digital voice recorder? Usually record a day's worth of nothing, but when it comes to he said/she said the recording can be priceless.)

You are closer to NOVA but Richmond has regularly-scheduled OC get-togethers. Breakfast just about every Saturday morning, and dinner the 2nd Tuesday of every month. The welcome mat is always out.

stay safe.

PS - Almost forgot! Have you joined VCDL www.vcdl.org yet? Or at least signed up for the VA-ALERT newsletter?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Let me add my welcome from north of you. And second the recommendation to investigate joining VCDL.

Law-abiding and polite. If the population has no more impression of us than that, we're well ahead of the game. Though I guess I must admit there are some to whom I am barely civil, rather than truly polite, but they've earned it <grin>.

I haven't been in to a Target since they politely requested my gun stay away - if they don't want my gun, they don't want me - but I know there are plenty of others who believe differently. More power to you for carrying, and for carrying proudly!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What everyone said and welcome to Constutional carry Virginia style. Some of the dirty looks may be in your imignation. ..many are uncomfortable the first few times they oc.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Now peter you know I am not allowed to post http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...48-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.html - which OCers do without covering up.

Maybe you could go up there and sort of mentor him for an afternoon? With your big guns* I'm pretty sure few if any would notice him.:lol:

stay safe.

* - It's an insider joke. peter is known for saying "Big Guns Save Lives" while he is carrying around something that looks like it ought to be crew-served.

Arma1911

Adamk911,

It is terrific to have another member from Northern Va. join the forum. Stay active. And welcome.

t11spanner

Adamk911,

It is terrific to have another member from Northern Va. join the forum. Stay active. And welcome.

There are lots of us here in NOVA that OC everyday. It seems to me, either nobody is noticing as much anymore or they do not care.

My newest place to OC is Old Virginia Tobacco Co. at Seven Corners. Either they do not mind or have not taken notice. And I am usually there for a few hours enjoying a "fatty"!

Carl

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was recently on a spinoff *CDL facebook page in NOVA that had more than a few OC dislikes. Kinda funny since it's an OC page.

The Truth

Welcome to the site, Adam. There's plenty to learn here!

Maybe we'll meet at one of the monthly OC dinners. The breakfasts are usually right after my bed time. Haha.

va_tazdad

Welcome to the site, Adam. There's plenty to learn here!

Maybe we'll meet at one of the monthly OC dinners. The breakfasts are usually right after my bed time. Haha.

That's interesting whereas I miss most of the monthly dinners because they are while I am sleeping. I have no problem staying up for breakfast, but getting out of bed 3 hours early just wipes me out for the Mid shift.

Please join us at either so we can extend the welcomes in person.

;>)