• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a small car = pain and suffering

The Truth

Hey Citizen,

I thought a handgun must be on one's person or in a compartment like a glove box or center console in VA...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey Citizen,

I thought a handgun must be on one's person or in a compartment like a glove box or center console in VA...

Depends on whether you have a CHP (concealed handgun permit).

There is no restriction on folks who did not submit to government licensing openly carrying a firearm in a vehicle, as far as I know. For example, laying it on the dashboard, or laying it on the passenger seat. Some folks who did not want to submit to government licensing of a natural right wanted to carry their gun discreetly, say in the center console or the glove box. That ran afoul of self-serving government restrictions on concealment, so the statute was amended to not criminalize "concealing" a handgun in the glove box or center console.

Check out VA Code 18.2-308. The devil is in the details, so pay very close attention to the details.

Assistance, clarification, and correction from other posters is welcome.

The Truth

I thought I remembered specifically addressing this with USER. I seem to recall him mentioning possible jail time and confiscation of firearm if an unlicensed citizen were to be caught with a pistol not in a worn open carry holster or with the firearm not in a container such as a glovebox or center console. I will try to find the post but it's a long shot that I actually find it before someone reads this thread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I thought I remembered specifically addressing this with USER. I seem to recall him mentioning possible jail time and confiscation of firearm if an unlicensed citizen were to be caught with a pistol not in a worn open carry holster or with the firearm not in a container such as a glovebox or center console. I will try to find the post but it's a long shot that I actually find it before someone reads this thread.

Well, yes, that makes sense.

Lets dissect this a little bit. First, the brief case is in the trunk. If the gun is in the brief case, it is totally out of reach of the driver (me). I can in no legitimate way be construed to be armed when I am in the driver's seat, and the gun is secured in the brief case in the locked trunk.

Just checking to identify the possible misunderstanding. Are you thinking you must display the gun in a holster on your person to avoid being accused of concealment? As opposed to say, laying it on the dashboard, or the passenger seat?

The Truth

Va Code 18.2-308 C 10
Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ndgun-Permit)-STICKY&highlight=virginia+carry

Here's another relevant thread to the "secured container" law.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120659-So-much-for-the-secured-container-law/page4

This is how I've come to the conclusion that the only legal ways to carry in a vehicle in Virginia is to either A) Open Carry as one would normally outside of the vehicle or B) secure the handgun "in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel."

This is what confused me:

Citizen said:
Insofar as a side-holstered gun is not very accessible after the seat belt is buckled, I worked out a "car" holster. In my car, a cheap holster jammed between the seat and the console holds the gun against hard stops and so forth.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
OK. I'm still a little uncertain as to the confusion. I am thinking visible=not concealed=not illegal for folks who don't hold a CHP. As in, a car holster jammed between the seat and console is visible.

Can you tell me exactly what you were thinking? This is really important, especially for new lurkers who might not be posting. We should get to the bottom of this, and clear it up.

The Truth

OK. I'm still a little uncertain as to the confusion. I am thinking visible=not concealed=not illegal for folks who don't hold a CHP. As in, a car holster jammed between the seat and console is visible.

Can you tell me exactly what you were thinking? This is really important, especially for new lurkers who might not be posting. We should get to the bottom of this, and clear it up.

Can you cite to the law stating that as long as the handgun is "plainly visible" it is being lawfully transported? I am under the understanding that if the weapon is not on your person you are not carrying it, and in the case of having it in the car, you are then transporting it (not carrying it) if it is not on your person.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I am still searching for the actual post from USER that I am thinking of.

FBrinson

To the OP:
This may or may not help you, but it is what I do when I am going to be in my wife's SUV (which has small bucket type seats) and I know I am going to be in there for an extended period of time. I carry a S&W Model 12. It is small enough that I barely notice it. It doesn't get hung up in the seatbelt or bang into the car door or anything else. That may not be your preferred method or you may not have or want a small revolver, but carrying like this helps me since I have a few too many pork chops around my waist and this is much more comfortable on longer trips than banging my 1911 all over her car.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can you cite to the law stating that as long as the handgun is "plainly visible" it is being lawfully transported? I am under the understanding that if the weapon is not on your person you are not carrying it, and in the case of having it in the car, you are then transporting it (not carrying it) if it is not on your person.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I am still searching for the actual post from USER that I am thinking of.

First, let me say, User is an established criminal defense attorney with over twenty years experience. Anything he says about the law carries a lot of weight.

OK. If I understand you, the issue is "lawfully transported". I am unaware of any VA statutes specifically forbidding transporting a gun concealed. This is not to say one wasn't enacted when I wasn't looking in the last two years. That is to say, my understanding is that 18.2-308 prohibits carrying concealed without respect to where--pocket, car, briefcase, head-dress.

I am unaware of any VA statute that says "as long as it is plainly visible it is being lawfully transported" or words to that effect. Generally, criminal statutes prohibit activities, rather than specify what is approved. That is to say, as long as one does not do what is prohibited, he is legal. An example often used on this forum in the old days was to ask, "what law makes it legal for you to wear that red shirt?"

Thus, as long as my gun is not concealed, I am not in violation of the statute, generally speaking. If its in plain view, its not concealed. If its in the trunk and I'm in the driver's seat, its not being "carried" in the sense contemplated by the statute--accessible for immediate use.

beebobby

When driving my gf's Forester w/leather seats, I have to put a piece of cardboard between the butt of my Colt Defender and the seat to keep from making an indentation.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
When driving my gf's Forester w/leather seats, I have to put a piece of cardboard between the butt of my Colt Defender and the seat to keep from making an indentation.

I could see not scratching the leather, but not making an indentation?

I'd be reconsidering the balance of power in the relationship.

stay safe.

Wstar425

O
LOL It's a Subaru.

Bought a used snowmobile. PO had laid something on the seat with two protrusions on the bottom, in the spring and left it there all summer. Now there are two PERMANENT dimples perfectly centered in the seat. Of course, that is vinyl and an Arctic Cat but still, kinda the same? Wife couldn't care less......

I take my Mom to Indiana from Wisconsin every August and drive her Forester. It's kinda tight with a strong side 226 under the seatbelt. Not sure how quickly I could access it if need be but no other real great options. Just recently able to carry through Illanoying as long as you stay in your vehicle, which I thought was somewhat of an improvement? I suppose if I was carjacked and forced out of my car, I could access my firearm shortly after unbuckling. But then, who's gonna jack a Forester?

All good questions, or maybe not.

Wife has a 2013 Maxima with leather and not once has she questioned whether my firearm might scratch the leather. Thanks! One more thing to worry about now......

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
... It's kinda tight with a strong side 226 under the seatbelt. Not sure how quickly I could access it if need be but no other real great options. J.....

Why does it "have to" go under the seat belt? Is there no room to put the seat belt under the holster?

It's a box. Think outside of it.

stay safe.

The Truth

First, let me say, User is an established criminal defense attorney with over twenty years experience. Anything he says about the law carries a lot of weight.

OK. If I understand you, the issue is "lawfully transported". I am unaware of any VA statutes specifically forbidding transporting a gun concealed. This is not to say one wasn't enacted when I wasn't looking in the last two years. That is to say, my understanding is that 18.2-308 prohibits carrying concealed without respect to where--pocket, car, briefcase, head-dress.

My inquiry is more pertaining to legality of openly transporting, not carrying, and not transporting concealed.

I am unaware of any VA statute that says "as long as it is plainly visible it is being lawfully transported" or words to that effect.

We are in agreeance. See above comment.

Maybe others could chime in here and tell me I'm an idiot and I've been misunderstanding the rules of carry/transport in a vehicle all this time.

Last edited:

Arin Morris

I carry using a Safariland SLS with a Quick Locking System. I've considered mounting a receiver plate somewhere in the car as it would be difficult to draw from a seated position while belted into the seat.

beebobby

I could see not scratching the leather, but not making an indentation?

I'd be reconsidering the balance of power in the relationship.

stay safe.

Indentation looks like a defect in the upholstery and sticks around for hours (depending on the temp). Hey, it's her car, she bought it and she can make the rules. My F150, my rules.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Changing the ride height is another cosideration. You bucket seat design puts "wings" where a lower-riding holster would be. Mid-ride or even high-ride might be the way for you to go.

High ride or shoulder holster might be good options. I've found that my Galco High-Ride holster for my S&W 620 revolver (4" .357) is perfect in every seat I've tried, but unfortunately I got the same exact holster for my 92FS and it doesn't give me quite as much clearance as I would like. (The holster works great for my 96 Compact but for Prius bucket_seats probably wouldn't work with the full size 92FS.)

Last edited: