Thread: Bat's New Toy

Bat's New Toy

Greetings,
    - Most of you who know me, know I like my revolvers, and I especially like Rugers. So I found this sweet litte SP101 in 357-Mag for a fair price, it's one of the late 90's production models. I've had a GP100 4" S.S. for over 20 years, and have wanted the little SP since they first came out. It's a little hefty for a 2.25" 357-Mag, but it feels sold, sexy, and I can trust it will have years of longevity. So I finally have both the GP and the SP now, and the little SP will be my daily carry rain or shine. My Vaquero will still be out and about when I feel like all day blue jeans and t-shirt roaming around on a sunny day, but the SP101 will be my go-to-gun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP101.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	12436
    (Mine is exactly like this one)
    Bat
    Last edited by Batousaii; 03-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Nice, very nice find.

Is that a picture of your Ruger? Looks like it is NIB.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    Greetings,
    - Most of you who know me, know I like my revolvers, and I especially like Rugers. So I found this sweet litte SP101 in 357-Mag for a fair price, it's one of the late 90's production models. I've had a GP100 4" S.S. for over 20 years, and have wanted the little SP since they first came out. It's a little hefty for a 2.25" 357-Mag, but it feels sold, sexy, and I can trust it will have years of longevity. So I finally have both the GP and the SP now, and the little SP will be my daily carry rain or shine. My Vaquero will still be out and about when I feel like all day blue jeans and t-shirt roaming around on a sunny day, but the SP101 will be my go-to-gun

Bat
    I'm fan of revolvers, too.

Apparently, the SP101 was made in a limited edition with tritium sights and 3" barrel as a special production run. Wouldn't mind having one of those.

For me, the holy grail of carry revolvers would be a stainless .357 K-frame, 3" barrel with adjustable sights. But, it seems the fellas who possess them are hoarding them. The bums. A quick visit to the S&W forum shows more than one member with a whole collection of the darned things. Dang it. Who needs six of them? Put a few on the market. Dag nabitt.

(That green glow you all see in the eastern sky is my envy.)

Last edited by Citizen; 03-22-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    Greetings,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP101.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	12436
    Bat
    Your vaquero is a national celebrity, I can't tell you how many news stories across the country I see abot gun rights and you and your vaquero are like a stock image they re use.

I looked at the SP, but IMO too heavy, I carry .38 +p in a Taurus 605.

I love the GP but the old ruger security six fits holsters better
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

The SP101 was my wife's first gun. Our daughter has it now, and wife carries a 229 or 938. I wanted her to like a 686 Plus as it has two extra rounds, but she said it was too heavy so we went with the Ruger.

So, of course that only meant I had to get a 686 Plus for myself, but went with the 6 inch barrel. It's my trail gun, but I carry it into town occasionally if I don't want to go into the house to swap. Pretty hard to conceal that, everybody notices but it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Less than a black scary gun anyway!

I just like watching people's reactions. When they look at you and find that you are making eye contact with them they usually look away quickly. I'll stand around and talk guns/open carry all day long with someone. Most people are oblivious to what is going on around them from what I can tell.

A fine choice, I will never sell my 101, had it for 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    I have owned 3 SP101's in .357 and have always liked them. Traded the first one off, but eventually bought another. Then traded that one in for the 3" version when I found one new.

Excellent Pistols, and a fine addition to your inventory!

Cheers,
    Bill
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Ruger has a newer toy for you

http://www.guns.com/2015/03/30/ruger...01-in-327-mag/

Sturm, Ruger & Co. is bringing back a model of revolver that was deeply missed by a small but dedicated group of shooters, the SP101 .327 Federal Magnum. But thatís not all as the new double-action SP101 .327 Mag has been improved and updated with features that fit the hard-hitting micro-mag.

A relatively new magnum cartridge, .327 Magnum, has a cult-like following and for good reasons. The high-pressure round can speed smaller bullets in excess of 1,500 feet-per-second, going toe-to-toe with .357 Magnum in the energy department with significantly less recoil. Even with the lighter projectiles .327 Magnum can be loaded well in excess of 700 foot-pounds of energy, making it a true magnum round.

And the new Ruger SP101 is going to make a lot of .327 Magnum fans happy. Unlike the old model the new SP101 has a longer 4.2-inch barrel, based on the .357 Magnum kit gun. Likewise the new SP101 .327 Magnum has an adjustable rear sight and a bright green fiber-optic front sight.

With the added inch of barrel the new SP101 .327 Magnum will perform in-line with full-size .327 Magnum revolvers and not trade off high muzzle velocities in exchange for a compact package. The SP101 frame is much smaller and lighter than the full-size Ruger GP100.

The smaller-diameter cartridge means that the SP101 is big enough for six shots, one more than in .357 Magnum in a package that weighs considerably less than a GP100, too. With the longer barrel the SP101 .327 Mag still only weighs 29 ounces, making it a very flexible handgun.

In this configuration the SP101 .327 Mag can easily be considered a kit gun, a concept Rugerís been bringing back in spades. Kit guns are light revolvers to toss in your day bag, hydration pack, or if youíre a traditionalist, your tackle box.
    All I need to decide is if I will go back to 4" barrels for EDC. Right now it seems like too much of a reminder of before I retired.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit